Driving: Using your turn signals.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
As a long term pedestrian who's now finally learning to drive.. I hate this. I always use mine, everyone should always use theirs. I've lost track of the number of times walking I've nearly been hit because people don't indicate.

Bad driving in general is a product of bad teaching. The best drivers I've met have always been taught by liscenced instructors for their entire period of learning. The more a driver is instructed by family or friends, the worse habits they pick up.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I always use my turns signals and I fucking despise ignorant motherfuckers on the road who are too goddamn lazy to bring themselves to use their goddamn turns signals. If you don't use your turn signals properly when changing lanes (not this "turning-on-right-as-you're-in-the-middle-of-another-lane" bullshit), I can say with complete honesty that I hope you die in a fire.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
What do you mean no one pays attention to them?

I don't agree. I think most people on the roads use them all the time and if they don't a police officer can dish out a pretty hefty fine.

Maybe it has to do with where you live.

But yes, they are extremely important and the incorrect use of them or the lack of use of them has caused thousands of deaths.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
A lot of drivers despise people who don't use their signals, and for good reason. But as a pedestrian who doesn't own a car, I *fear* them. I have almost been hit by a couple of people who whipped around corners without their turn signals.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I honestly don't see why anyone wouldn't use them. It doesn't take very much effort. If you're gonna turn, you're making that motion with your hand anyway. It really makes me angry when people don't use them.

Also, I drive now, but when I used to ride my bike all the time I saw this A LOT. Apparently people think if there are no other cars in sight you don't have to use the turn signal, which is bullshit, since me riding my bike does not want to get hit by a friggin car.

Chewyjazz

Feb 11, 2011
Some people are just too stupid to use the signal, but there are also those assholes who turn the signal on as they are halfway through the lane change. Bunch of dead beats, the signal is there to alert other drivers that you are changing lanes. I blame public education...

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I hate people that don't use their turn signals!

This explains it perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhsjit5xJks

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
I use them whenever I'll be making a move that's unexpected, or if there are a lot of other cars around. If its just me and that other bloke in the middle of the night... no one cares.

Ryuo

Dec 5, 2009
I use my signal every single turn I make. Even on dirt roads in the boonies. Even put my right turn signal on in a Right-only lane.

bpm195

May 21, 2008
I really wish that they'd start enforcing turn signal laws in my home city. I can deal with drivers going over the speed limit and a driver crossing an intersection as the light turns is annoying but predictable. People flinging a ton of metal at me with no warning is currently the single largest threat to my life.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
KB Rocker said:
Recently my best friend was hit by a car the person in the car wasn't using turn his signals. My friend thought the man was going straight on instead the man turned in on the road my friend was on, and broke my friends Femur.

It's mistakes like these that no one pays attention to. So I was thinking what others think about using their own turn signals.

Please explain your opinion. To me it's lazy and just completely inexcusable.

I'm not saying I don't forget the odd time but it's something I'd particularly pay attention to.
Turn signals must always be used on roads around here, and yes it is inexcusable.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I use them when even when alone on a deserted road. Just because it feels wrong not to use them.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Use them everywhere except for turning when reversing. Because I'm not used to that...

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I use them most of the time. When others are around me, they get used. If I'm the only one on the road I don't as there's no one around to warn I'm about to do something. The thing that pisses me off the most when driving are people that use the center turn lane as a merge lane and almost always wind up blocking the entrance I want to turn into.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I use indicators all the time when driving. One of the things my instructor told me on my first lesson is that not using indicators at a roundabout is statistically the most annoying thing a driver can do -- Not the most dangerous, which is tailgating, but definitely the most annoying and one of the most dangerous as well.

It's particularly annoying where I live, as people have a habit of only putting their indicators on in the last second when they're at a roundabout (never seen this anywhere else). Helpful tip: The longer you keep your indicators on (as long as you don't indicate so early that there is another turn off), the easier it is for me to know what you're doing and plan accordingly.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
I always use mine.

But here's the thing: when vehicles are concerned, always assume everyone else on the road is a retard. Assume they're making a left when they have no blinker on, and you'll be hard pressed into getting into an accident. On top of that, I ALWAYS assume every pedestrian is afflicted with down syndrome and it's likely to come blazing across the street chasing an imaginary ball.

Pedestrians, perhaps, should think the same.

Not saying it was your friends fault, only that perhaps he will have learned a lesson from this.
In the uk, if the guy crossing the road has already started the driver has to wait for them, which makes sense.

If he walked out as the car was turning, he is in the wrong. It is also pretty easy to tell if a car is going to turn by it's position on the road and it's speed.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I always use my signals, even when its on those roads that say you can only turn a certain way (like left turn only roads). If they're ever out, I either get them replaced or use hand signals.

Mainly cause I've been in situations where I almost rear ended someone who didnt use their signals and in the situation I would be at fault and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for someone lack of common driving etiquette.