Driving: Using your turn signals.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I use them (well actually it,s more of sticking my hand out in the direction I want to go on the bike).
I,ts annoying when I don,t know what direction other road users want to go.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I use them about 95% of the time. I dislike when drivers decide to change lanes without using them, but I really really really HAAAAATTTEEEE when drivers wait and wait and then turn it on as they make their turn. FUCK YOU, YOU STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE! It pisses me off so much because more often than not, I notice it because I'm trying to turn and they have the right of way. Like, getting out of a parking lot and some ass is coming so I wait, and then what do you know suddenly he slows down and turns into the lot. I could have gone but now I have to wait as the 15 cars behind him go by. Fucking shit head.

I hate it slightly less, but the people that have their turn signals on when going straight is nearly as bad. I almost turned left in front of a truck because of this, but I thought it strange how he wasn't slowing... Stupid ass.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It's a problem and I regularly see people not using them when I'm crossing a street (that and not using the correct lane at roundabouts). Though I think a bigger problem for road users are people not checking their mirrors and blind spot, or just checking their wing mirror and not the blind spot and promptly killing a cyclist.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
lvl9000_woot said:
I use them only when there are other people within 200ft of me. Otherwise, meh.
That's great until you realise you need to get into the left lane right away and kill someone on his street bike travelling a little too fast.

Obviously shouldn't be speeding but that doesn't excuse your roll in the hypothetical death of someone.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I ALWAYS, and I do mean always use them. Even if I'm alone and see no one else, I'll do it.

Inconnu24

Apr 6, 2009
CCountZero said:
Inconnu24 said:
Except there's a chance, however small, that you might not be fully aware of your surroundings.

And then there's the question of habits. The more of a solid habit you make of indicating, the more you'll be able to concentrate on other parts of driving.
Hypothetically speaking. That chance of not being aware at all times applies to everyone. I'm aware, trust my own judgement, and trust that others will do the same.

Deciding when to signal is instantaneous and doesn't impede on my concentration. It's a sense that comes with driving experience and situational awareness. I don't need to train myself like a lab rat to feel safer on the road when my current habits already give me a very generous margin of safety.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
It is so automatic for me - my wife was giving me shit the other day cause I used my turn signal when I was leaving the driveway. lol Pretty much use them all the time. If there is something in the road like an accident or something it is also automatic for me to hit the hazard lights for a few.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I use mine all the time, in a sensible amount of time to alert other drivers to my intentions. Had a near miss the other day on the motorway when a lorry travelling roughly 20 mph slower than me decided to merge into my lane without warning (he used indicators, but only after he'd started to merge). Had to leap out into the fast lane, luckily the guy in the lane had seen what happened so he'd already started making room when I indicated to merge.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Pariah87 said:
There's only a few roundabouts in my city but I see so many drivers who don't know what they're doing. Most know to give way to the inside lane, but I see a lot of drivers who will signal right (North America) which obviously means they're exiting, but they do it as they approach the exit BEFORE the one they're going to take. Stupid as hell, obviously, and it can mess up both people near them AND people trying to enter.

errndog

May 31, 2011
You ever fantasize about getting out of your car walking up to theirs, reaching in, breaking off their indicator stalk and placing it in their hand. Then politely saying "If you're not going to use it, then you don't need it !" "Dumbass"

If you are too stupid, lazy or you just don't have enough manners and respect for your fellow man to communicate your intentions, then you should not be able to have a drivers license.