DS Pirate Lands Two Years in Prison

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Zombie_King said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
If he was in a British prison, 2 and a half years would have flown by. Some PS3, meet some contacts, etc.
Tea and crumpets at noon, jaunty tunes at 1:00...
Not to mention elocution at 3:00PM, it's practically a holiday. I'm not lying though, you do get PS3 in prison...
I know. Why the hell do we spend so much for people in prison? They killed and robbed people. They should just get the basic essentials.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Amnestic said:
Blackadder51 said:
This man got off lightly, after all he basically cock-slapped a lot of game developers.
$96,000 fine isn't "lightly" no matter how you look at it.
How much was downloaded? If hundreds of thosands of dollars were given away in the form of these games then I see it as just.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Quadtrix said:
This is good news.
I disagree. (I figured I'd add as many reasons to my post as you did to yours.)

Anyway, two years in prison is a long fucking time for some dude who was handing out illegal games..
For a DS.
Seriously - I know steretypes are bad, but I don't see this guy being a hardened criminal.
It's not about how hardened and dangerous a criminal he is, fact of the matter is that his actions (in the long run) are detrimental to hundreds of thousands of people, staff and consumers alike.
He was pumping out illegal ISO's that companies put much time and effort into and in reality that's like you working an 8-hour day at your job but only getting paid for 120 minutes of your time.
Try supporting a family on a budget like that.

Nintendo are setting a good example by attacking a source of the problem, throwing the book at him and making an example of this one character so others might think twice and avoid a similar fate in the future.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Zombie_King said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
If he was in a British prison, 2 and a half years would have flown by. Some PS3, meet some contacts, etc.
Not to mention elocution at 3:00PM, it's practically a holiday. I'm not lying though, you do get PS3 in prison...
Alright I have it all planned out!

1. Murder
2. Arrest
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Zombie_King said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

1. Murder
2. Arrest
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!
Genius. That's why homeless people commit so many crimes though, you get free bed, free food and PS3. It's a damned fine strategy.

Clyde

Aug 12, 2009
theultimateend said:
The_Oracle said:
Well, look at it from the company's perspective. They spent thousands and thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in development time to create the Nintendo DS and its associated games, and if someone was running a website that lets people get all of that stuff for free, and I was the company, I'd be rather miffed too.
If you charge a fair price for your products people will buy them.

How do you know when a price is fair? Is your product selling? If it is then it is a fair price.

It is a form of logic that has been used in capitalist situations for hundreds and hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Just lately people think items are worth what they say they are worth. That has never and will never truly be the case.

danosaurus said:
WrongSprite said:
They did the right thing here by striking at the source of piracy instead of the average pirate.
Agreed, it's the correct approach to the problem.
For every one site you attack you will create two more. People just get more creative and make it harder to find the next set of sites.

The real way of fixing this is by doing what I mentioned to the previous poster. Some of the worlds richest people in history (non royalty) have followed the above system.

Carnegie and Ford are two quick examples. Both believed and "supposedly" followed the system and they each had more money than God (Who actually works on a low budget).

Great example, Arkham Asylum, first game I've bought in 5 years that was worth the tag price. Didn't even look to pirate it, because the moment I sunk my teeth in I was hooked on it like a dope fiend on...well...dope.
First, people don't pirate games because they don't sell at a fair price. Anyone would take anything for free including the new batman game.

Second, do you have any idea how Ford and Carnegie were able to charge the prices they did?
Look up vertical integration. They were able to buy middlemen and eliminate markup, pass the savings on to the consumer and leave competitors unable to match prices. How is that relevant?

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Chicago Ted said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Zombie_King said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

1. Murder
2. Arrest
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!
Genius. That's why homeless people commit so many crimes though, you get free bed, free food and PS3. It's a damned fine strategy.
Yup, I think I'm going to stop with my highschool education and go into crime. I mean, from what I understand of it via the Sims, you just go to a factory and scheme and occassionally be thrown in jail for the night, but everyone there is friendly and the cops are nice!

You can not deny it's genius.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
theultimateend said:
The_Oracle said:
Well, look at it from the company's perspective. They spent thousands and thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in development time to create the Nintendo DS and its associated games, and if someone was running a website that lets people get all of that stuff for free, and I was the company, I'd be rather miffed too.

How do you know when a price is fair? Is your product selling? If it is then it is a fair price.

It is a form of logic that has been used in capitalist situations for hundreds and hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Just lately people think items are worth what they say they are worth. That has never and will never truly be the case.

danosaurus said:
WrongSprite said:
They did the right thing here by striking at the source of piracy instead of the average pirate.
For every one site you attack you will create two more. People just get more creative and make it harder to find the next set of sites.

The real way of fixing this is by doing what I mentioned to the previous poster. Some of the worlds richest people in history (non royalty) have followed the above system.

Carnegie and Ford are two quick examples. Both believed and "supposedly" followed the system and they each had more money than God (Who actually works on a low budget).

Great example, Arkham Asylum, first game I've bought in 5 years that was worth the tag price. Didn't even look to pirate it, because the moment I sunk my teeth in I was hooked on it like a dope fiend on...well...dope.
Really?
Because when I purchase a game, I feel that anywhere around $100 is a fair price.
Think about how much entertainment you're getting out of the game, upto 20 hours in average games. That's $5 per hour of entertainment, I pay twice that when I go out to a pub and probably 10 times that in a club.

To me, games are priced reasonably and the only reason people moan and whinge about their prices is either because.

A) They're too young to work and mummy wont hand over the cash.
B) They're working part-time jobs and $100 is too large an investment for them when they actually just end up spending it on booze or clothes etc.
C) They're just unrealistic.

I also believe that news like this may not go too far to stop the really big fish in piracy but it'll sure as hell make the gamers who read this kind of news think twice about hosting//seeding these ISO's.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Asehujiko said:
The real source of piracy is the sheer assholery by nintendo when it comes to devkit for the wii and the ds. According to them, they own everything you make with them and have the right to decide wether ot not you can sell them. Because of that, if you make, upload, download or play a homebrew which had absolutely no input from nintendo beyond the licensing of the creation of the devkit by another company, you are a pirate.

I've been to this guy's site and most of the things there are games nintendo had never heard of until they started calling their lawyers.

This is blatant protectionism and abuse of their position. I hope the guy wins the appeal.
, especially because I doubt Sony or Microsoft allow unlicensed games on their consoles without some form of kerfuffle.

Now that that's out of the way I'm of the belief that there is a difference between the homebrew side of things (using R4 cards to store the data of games made yourself) and the piracy side of things (what this guy did). Ergo I find this perfectly reasonable as a punishment, and let's be honest, if this in any way involved the RIAA he would've been fined about $500 million or some ludicrous number.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Clyde said:
theultimateend said:
The_Oracle said:

danosaurus said:
WrongSprite said:

First, people don't pirate games because they don't sell at a fair price. Anyone would take anything for free including the new batman game.

Second, do you have any idea how Ford and Carnegie were able to charge the prices they did?
Look up vertical integration. They were able to buy middlemen and eliminate markup, pass the savings on to the consumer and leave competitors unable to match prices. How is that relevant?
Gonna watch the Hyperboles. It makes you look kind of stupid. If a company cannot survive by providing their products for free and people like them people will pay for them. If that wasn't true basically no companies would exist (monopolies would be required).

But whatever. Since you jumped out with a hyperbole I'm just gonna back out now. This sort of thing never ends well. There are musicians and game developers that have done "name your own price" and while most people did pick very low prices or free they still had far more than enough high tags or overall sales to come out extremely pleased.

danosaurus said:
theultimateend said:
The_Oracle said:

danosaurus said:
WrongSprite said:

Really?
Because when I purchase a game, I feel that anywhere around $100 is a fair price.
Think about how much entertainment you're getting out of the game, upto 20 hours in average games. That's $5 per hour of entertainment, I pay twice that when I go out to a pub and probably 10 times that in a club.

To me, games are priced reasonably and the only reason people moan and whinge about their prices is either because.

A) They're too young to work and mummy wont hand over the cash.
B) They're working part-time jobs and $100 is too large an investment for them when they actually just end up spending it on booze or clothes etc.
C) They're just unrealistic.

I also believe that news like this may not go too far to stop the really big fish in piracy but it'll sure as hell make the gamers who read this kind of news think twice about hosting//seeding these ISO's.
I very rarely play new games for 20 hours.

But yes if you DO play a game for 20 hours and like it then yes it is worth the price.

Many modern games I end up playing for a long time to see if they ever get better, so its really only a few hours of entertainment and many hours of hoping I'll see something good.

A great example is infamous, I started having fun after I got the thunderstorm ability. That was a day in and consequently a few hours before I beat it.

I appreciate the input. But generally speaking with something like a game you will make far more money by charging a low price and selling tons of copies than charging a high price and selling few.

The moment I tried World of Goo I ended up buying it for instance. As you said though I feel it could easily warrant a higher price tag but I think at its current mark it sells far better.

It is the customers duty to want the lowest price possible. These days though many companies release very poor quality games (pretty though) and demand people buy them or blame piracy.

Clyde

Aug 12, 2009
"There are musicians and game developers that have done "name your own price" and while most people did pick very low prices or free they still had far more than enough high tags or overall sales to come out extremely pleased."

Examples please, and not music or cheap flash games.

But, even if some products are given for free what's you point?

Antzon

Sep 9, 2009
Well, the money goes where? back to the game company or to the government?

Anyways here's my thought,

Increase the size to 10GB per game like the PS3 Blue-ray games (Know its not possible but meh)

There arent any pirate for PS3 Games because the files are too too freaking BIG.

Size does matter :p.

NDS is like < 100MB? (not sure)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
nice use of phoenix there it fits this in so many ways

also I prefer just buying games keeps you out of this kind of trouble

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Zombie_King said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Seriously? All I have to do is shank a hobo to play InFamous? Sweet!

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
You guys do know that you actually need a Nintendo DS to play even pirated games, right? Which means that Nintendo still gets the cash. They are laughing uproariously right now, rolling around in the piles of money which they sleep on.

Hasn't the Nintendo DS sold approximately 100 gazillion units?