Dubstep in game soundtracks

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
I was playing Ghost Recon Future Soldier (got it early at a local mom & pop store) and I encountered the elite "Bodark" enemies for the first time. Not only are these guys incredibly deadly (almost as deadly as your own squad), but their arrival is accompanied by a dubstep soundtrack. This got me thinking: are there any other games that use dubstep in their soundtracks? Do you think more games should use that style? I personally think that dubstep should be used more in game soundtracks. Generic orchestra pieces are hardly memorable, but pumping up the action with a lot of "BWAAAAAAAAAAARRR WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB" would definitely get me in the mood to fight more.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I wouldn't want devs to use dubstep in the games just because it's kind of thing these days, but yeah where it works, it works.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:

[HEADING=1]ALL THE WUB WUBS![/HEADING]

I love me some awesome dubstep.
I freaking love that song from the Borderlands 2 trailer to pieces.

That whole game could have dubstep and I would be totally fine with it.

Hooray for wub wubs!

Dec 14, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!
I love my electronic music to be mixed with a little rock...

Awwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeah...

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Jove said:
Only if its used for the right game. For example, its greatly used in the Boarderlands 2 trailer. However in pretty much any other game I have seen that has tried to use it, (including the game you mentioned playing), I despise it. I REALLY DESPISE IT. I don't know how this type of shit sounding music got popular, but wow I need a bath every time I hear that trash!

Of course, that's just my opinion anyway but...well... screw dub step and Justin Bieber.
The early UK based stuff is decent (especially Burial), but yeah...Dubstep, or should I say the mainstream "Brostep" style, is far too pedestrian for my liking. Dubstep should of remained in the UK to be honest, the evolution in the sound totally destroyed every single thing that make Dubstep good in the first place, most notably the Two-Step Garage influences.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!

I had to look it up because that video says it's too cool to show in my country. :'(

I concur, that song is pretty sweet, and I've never heard of them until now.

Dec 14, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!

I had to look it up because that video says it's too cool to show in my country. :'(

They have a really awesome sound, my favourite band :D

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!

I have shaken hands with Rou Reynolds the singer, and even talked to him.

Does that make me awesome?

Dec 14, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!

That makes you my new hero.

Was it like touching god himself?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I don't mind if it is in the right game at the right time. I don't really like dubstep, but if it fits in right I won't mind at all.

Black Arrow Officer said:
Forget Dubstep! This is the proper music for massacring people!

That video made my day :D thank you!

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Jazoni89 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Hooray for wub wubs!

That makes you my new hero.

Was it like touching god himself?
Yeah you could say that.

He's a very nice guy, very down to earth as well.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
its never a case of "should they or shoudlnt they"

if it fits then great

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
To me, when they do it, it just seems like they're jumping on a bandwagon.
Dubstep has existed, as it currently does, since around the year 2000, and I can't think of a single game that has had any in it prior to 2011. That's about a 12 year span for people to put dubstep in their soundtracks. I think it's just odd that, now that dubstep is suddenly popular it's magically the sound every game studio claims "fits" their games.

Let's just say I'm doubtful a single studio is putting it in their soundtracks to achieve a certain sound, and more just because it's cool and popular and they just want to appeal to what's seen as hip.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Jove said:
Only if its used for the right game. For example, its greatly used in the Boarderlands 2 trailer. However in pretty much any other game I have seen that has tried to use it, (including the game you mentioned playing), I despise it. I REALLY DESPISE IT. I don't know how this type of shit sounding music got popular, but wow I need a bath every time I hear that trash!

Of course, that's just my opinion anyway but...well... screw dub step and Justin Bieber.
So... You try and justify trashing an entire genre of music by saying "oh, it's just my opinion that everyone who listens to dubstep is wrong, and that they are stupid for liking it!" Fine, you don't like it, big whoop. I don't like death metal, but I won't call it shit just because it's not to my taste. Especially since you probably don't know anything about dubstep. Heard one Skrillex song now you can condemn an entire genre.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Forget Dubstep! This is the proper music for massacring people!

Hehe. I love this song so much.

On topic, some games and scenes work fantastically for Dubstep. Post-apocalyptic games with an emphasis on anti-government stuff, for example.

Or Crackdown 1/2, those work great.

Stuff like that.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
AC10 said:
To me, when they do it, it just seems like they're jumping on a bandwagon.
Dubstep has existed, as it currently does, since around the year 2000, and I can't think of a single game that has had any in it prior to 2011. That's about a 12 year span for people to put dubstep in their soundtracks. I think it's just odd that, now that dubstep is suddenly popular it's magically the sound every game studio claims "fits" their games.

Let's just say I'm doubtful a single studio is putting it in their soundtracks to achieve a certain sound, and more just because it's cool and popular and they just want to appeal to what's seen as hip.
It's a British genre that's been "Americanized" so to say, and you know America has more of an influence in music nowadays than Britain anyway. That's why it's popular today, rather than back then.

Also, the sound is much different from it's East London/Bristol roots. Obviously it still retains some of the sound (otherwise it wouldn't be called Dubstep), but most of it's Garage influence was gone, instead replaced with an aggressive Dub style that has nothing to do with the core Dubstep sound. Now, I'm all for evolution in music, but not a evolution that totally destroys the spirit of a genre.

This is Dubstep, notice how different it is from the mainstream stuff. It's like a whole different genre.

The orginal Dubstep sound thrives on atmosphere, rather than a metric ton of obnoxious bass drops. Which makes it sad that not much of this style is being made anymore.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I was playing Ghost Recon Future Soldier (got it early at a local mom & pop store) and I encountered the elite "Bodark" enemies for the first time. Not only are these guys incredibly deadly (almost as deadly as your own squad), but their arrival is accompanied by a dubstep soundtrack. This got me thinking: are there any other games that use dubstep in their soundtracks? Do you think more games should use that style? I personally think that dubstep should be used more in game soundtracks. Generic orchestra pieces are hardly memorable, but pumping up the action with a lot of "BWAAAAAAAAAAARRR WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB" would definitely get me in the mood to fight more.

I'll just leave the awesome here