Dubstep in game soundtracks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Black Arrow Officer said:
Generic orchestra pieces are hardly memorable, but pumping up the action with a lot of "BWAAAAAAAAAAARRR WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB WUB WUB WUB WAAAHAHA WUB" would definitely get me in the mood to fight more.
Generic orchestra isn't memorable, but generic wub wub is?

Personally, I think geneic J-Pop is the way to go.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I've got nothing against Dubstep. While It's not something I'd actively listen to it can work quite well. Only game I've heard it in is in Borderlands and I have to say it does feel good gutting my way through a boss at the Underdome while this music is playing in the background:

It may be because other than the intro and credit songs (Ain't No Rest For The Wicked and No Heaven) the rest of the music in this game is just boring but that song is one of the things that pushes me on to make it to the next challenger who resurrected himself from the grave.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
GethBall said:
Black Arrow Officer said:
Generic orchestra pieces are hardly memorable,
Wait..... you're talking about dubstep and saying that orchestra pieces are generic.

My thoughts exactly.

OT: No. Dubstep is a decidedly non-interactive genre of music, and adds absolutely nothing to an already-present atmosphere. By its very nature, dubstep wants to be the center of your attention, and that's obviously not something you want in a game.

Also, Daystar: that Borderlands music isn't dubstep, it's straight up dance. No dubstep in that at all.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Reminds me of this video: (has brief language)

I have nothing against skrillex, in fact I think he's a great producer. I just hate how people hate him for being 'popular' or for the fact that he's the main reason people are getting into dubstep nowadays. It's the whole hipster attitude 'I used to like dubstep, but then skrillex happened and now it's popular so I don't like it anymore'

I personally can't stand Skream or Benga, it's much much too slow for me (before you even think it I thought this well before Skrillex every became popular. I still enjoy stuff like flux pavilion but I'm not as into dubstep as I once was.

The main issue with the heavy skrillex style dubstep is that it's good for a couple minutes but at a club just becomes noise after about 20 minutes, You need the rise and falls to make a mix proper.

OT: I think any type of music is good as long as it fits the tone of the game, it's a shame there isn't more rap music but I can understand why.

EDIT: I'm not saying some skrillex fans aren't idiots though, case and point:

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Well the whole track doesn't necessarily have to be dubstep, but if you have dubstep integrated into other music/songs, the level of epic blows the roof off .... and then the bass drops...

2 examples:

Sep 14, 2009
Sougo said:
Well the whole track doesn't necessarily have to be dubstep, but if you have dubstep integrated into other music/songs, the level of epic blows the roof off .... and then the bass drops...

2 examples:
ah i forgot about that first piece, love that! i honestly love hearing orchestral parts combined with dubstep, it really brings it into the 21st century me thinks.

(no offense, but there is quite alot of orchestral pieces that sound so similar and are complete snorefests..)

Sep 14, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
If Deus Ex: HR came out with a Dub Step sound track I would have had to drastically reconsider my opinion of it.

really? I thought it fit this fan made trailer kind of well...not necessarily filling up the whole track, sure, that would've been awkward, but for some of the intense fight scenes, i don't see how it wouldn't have fit?

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
There's only one place where dub step would be appropriate. A really heavy technical scene that's really really intense. You can't have dub step in a normal situation, it's way too heavy.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It really depends on the game. I could imagine it in some type of fast paced cyberpunk action game, but not in many other things. Like I said, it really depends.
I think of dubstep kind of like rap; it's alright when mixed in with other genres, but on it's own I don't like it. That said, I like it more a bit more than rap.

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
I just can't see it working, unless its used in some sort of club setting in a game. The music of a game reflects it, and dubstep is all about energy and chaos. I feel that if it was used in action parts of a game, a rock/metal piece simply would be better.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's a fad that needs to die, like the terrible rap that they used in modern FPS trailers a while back, or the less annoying Inception BWOOOOONGs.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Despite having heard several dubstep tracks, I'm still in the minority in that I can't tell the difference between it and, techno/electronica/etc. That being said, sure why not. Not every game needs to be metal. Variety is a good thing after all.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Srkkl said:
Trailers fine. But in the actual game? No, never. Dubstep does not have the timeless qualities that orchestral scores have. Also with the relatively slow tempo with the trancy bullcrap added it just pisses me off to listen to. I also don't see it fitting in Future Soldier, not looking forward to that part at all now, oh well I'll deal.
I agree with you on this. I miss the good old days of Ghost Recon where it was you and the field and the fool who would try to run across an open area.

Until the Borderlands one, here was my favourite trailer with that feel to it:

DingoDoom

Feb 26, 2009
I would prefer less dubstep (forever wub wub in my mind) in games because I think they sound like ass, as in PFFFFFTTTTT! I can't stand commercials with all the wub wubs. The only good part about the wub wubs is usually the coherent parts at the beginning, but as soon as it starts sounding like a car crash, it starts to annoy the crap out of me.

Wub wubs have never sounded good and never will to my ears. I have listened to my "friends" wub wubs because they says that I'm just listening to the wrong ones. I listened and tried to be patient as they offered mesamples but I still hate their wub wubs. Some of them do have some nice beats at the beginning but it always devolve into the wub wub tradition of sounding like a car crash with burning victims.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
I managed to find the dubstep song when you fight the Bodark enemies in Ghost Recon Future Soldier. Pretty badass if you ask me.