Duke Nukem and sexism

DeadlyYellow

New member
Jun 18, 2008
5,141
0
0
psyks said:
If anyone's aware of the dickwolf thing, these dudes displayed rather conclusively that they didn't care to understand feminism when they offended rape victims and didn't feel the need to act diplomatically (to summarise a long argument).
Oh well?

Everything you do offends someone.
 

LetalisK

New member
May 5, 2010
2,769
0
0
If you have a problem with it, don't fucking buy it. It really is that simple. Bitching about it just gives it more publicity and is more likely to increase sales than decrease it.
 

Luke Cartner

New member
May 6, 2010
317
0
0
First off maybe some of the games targeted at men display sexism to women.
Although slapping an imaginary women's butt is relatively harmless. And if the game lets you slap men's behinds as well; then sexism completely avoided.

If you want to get outraged about sexism, exploitation of women or misogyny in games there are an entire range of Japanese games you can play (Lets face it slapping someones butt hardly compares to Rapeplay).
Which is why this kind of over reaction confuses me, there are already truly obscene games out there yet various media media organizations get outraged at games that are merely cheeky...

In addition I would argue games like cooking moma which push forward images of the female domestic role or diner dash are far more sexist if not as offensive to certain people..
 

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
592
0
0
Such is the nature of parody and satire I suppose.
Although the point of satire is that it ultimately mocks the thing it?s emulating, in the end the thing is generally shown in a bad light. The question is if that is what this game does, it?s hard to say yet. Although things like the ego meter are a promising sign.
 

Zaik

New member
Jul 20, 2009
2,077
0
0
It's weird, because it's not even sexism. It's not even close. It's hedonism.

If it was Dutchess Nukem running around kicking the shit out of feminine aliens, stripping down and riding on dudes, and playing Capture the Hunk, nobody would call it sexism. They'd call it hedonism. Because that's what it is.

I know why there's a double standard and all, but you at least need to be referring to the right concept to apply the double standard.
 

Crystalite

New member
Apr 2, 2010
254
0
0
Luke Cartner said:
In addition I would argue games like cooking moma which push forward images of the female domestic role or diner dash are far more sexist if not as offensive to certain people..
Wait, a genuine depiction of women as domestic animals, living to serve their husband when he comes home from the hunt can be considered more sexist than a PARODY of sexism?

It must be april fools day!
 

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
14,931
763
118
Luke Cartner said:
If you want to get outraged about sexism, exploitation of women or misogyny in games there are an entire range of Japanese games you can play (Lets face it slapping someones butt hardly compares to Rapeplay).
Which is why this kind of over reaction confuses me, there are already truly obscene games out there yet various media media organizations get outraged at games that are merely cheeky...
There's alot of outrage at those sorts of games, yes, but the media doesn't report it cause nobody cares/has heard of non-mainstream games, especially from foreign parts.

DN is big, well-known and western.
 

Weskerbot3000

New member
Feb 17, 2011
116
0
0
this is further proof that humanity has nothing better to do than complain at the most trivial things
 

Crystalite

New member
Apr 2, 2010
254
0
0
LightspeedJack said:
For a woman to know that there is sexism in Duke Nukem they must leave the kitchen. Which we all know women cannot do.
Ah! But by the wonders of modern technology, as in wireless LAN and the likes, now we can have computers in the kitchen.
The only difficult part is not to place the laptop on the stove by mistake
 

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
6,092
0
0
BENZOOKA said:
Yeah, it's pointless. And every kind of correctness gone mad.

Why haven't they banned every James Bond movie yet...
They found out that movies weren't corrupting our children somewhere in the 90's I think, since movies didn't do it then it had to be video games. Movies are safe for now. Also, this is supposed to be said in a dry sarcastic voice, but it's hard to write that way.

Duke Nukem is sexist. In other breaking news air is needed to breathe, flames are hot, the earth is going around the sun, Fox News still claim to have news. Yes, Duke Nukem is sexist, and that's sort of the point of the series. Oh well, I gueess this will boost the sales when it's released... if it's released...
 

Bara_no_Hime

New member
Sep 15, 2010
3,646
0
0
AllLagNoFrag said:
As alot of you are aware, the "babe slapping" mode in Duke Nukem's multi player has been critisized about by a fair amount of people (not forgetting FOX). After thinking for a while, yes, it is sexist and yes, it is meant to be a total joke (its duke nukem ffs).
Hi. Female gamer feminist here to say... I loved the original Duke Nukem. ^^

Was it sexist? Hell yes. But at the same time, it poked fun at that very sexism. It's a parody of sexist male games - which is what makes it so much fun.

I had even more fun when I applied a funny patch to my version of the game that turned the Duke into a female hero voiced by sound clips taken from pornos. Your female Duke could do all the stuff the regular duke could, but when she took damage, she moaned. It was so very Meta, I loved it. ^^

So is it sexist? Sure. Is that a bad thing? No! Parody is always a good thing.

Edit: And I assume that anything that applied to the original duke will apply to the new one. Hilarious parody fun for all.
 

rbstewart7263

New member
Nov 2, 2010
1,246
0
0
I think there should just be some type of media where a chick is exploiting men then people couldnt ***** about anything.


And then a film where black people enslave whites in the future! Yep then the human race could finally move on from its petty squabbles and actually get to real problems like world hunger,poverty, and real slavery/inequality.

Oh and fox bankrupts. yeah thatd do it.
 

BRex21

New member
Sep 24, 2010
582
0
0
The reason sexism like this is bad is that it encourages gamer A to go and thread female B as a sex object, i think this really needs to get said.
On the other hand i think most of us here are perfectly willing to look at this and realise that Duke is a parody character and is supposed to be a dick.
 

Luke Cartner

New member
May 6, 2010
317
0
0
psyks said:
AllLagNoFrag said:
This bring me to my point: If these types of sexist games are created for males to play, why the hell are the people that dont want to play the game complaining?
I nearly agreed with you up until this bit. This is a terrible blanket statement to make. What about if there was a game where you played a white supremacist and just lynched black guys? Would that statement of - it's not aimed at black guys so why are they complaining? - still apply? Probably not.

DeadlyYellow said:
This seems to be the popular reply that's circulating the other topics.

Time to mooch.

That's a terrible false equivalency that Penny arcade have made before. Simply put, misogyny is something that everyone can be influenced to partake in. Killing people on the battlefield isn't.

If anyone's aware of the dickwolf thing, these dudes displayed rather conclusively that they didn't care to understand feminism when they offended rape victims and didn't feel the need to act diplomatically (to summarise a long argument).
I feel its important to note that stances against rape isn't a feminist concept, especially with the dick wolves thing considering the dickwolves comic implied male rape.

Also as a victim of rape myself; I can say I didn't find that particular comic (or the one that spawned it)insensitive or offensive. Mainly because they (in both comics) were neither condoning or encouraging such behavior but instead portraying it as an awful consequence.
And lets face it, if we cant talk about a negative yet humorous sense. Then victims will never feel comfortable enough to talk about it in a normal sense although such behavior to continue in silence..
 

GrinningManiac

New member
Jun 11, 2009
4,090
0
0
Hardcore_gamer said:
Because it almost confirms the "all gamers are stupid immature teenage virgins" stereotype that gamers are trying to get rid off?

It doesn't really matter that its a parody, its still stupid and juvenile and not in the good funny way.
Says the guy with a steroid-abusing dual-weilding mute space marine for an avatar?
 

Labcoat Samurai

New member
Feb 4, 2010
185
0
0
psyks said:
If anyone's aware of the dickwolf thing, these dudes displayed rather conclusively that they didn't care to understand feminism when they offended rape victims and didn't feel the need to act diplomatically (to summarise a long argument).
Uh oh, thread hijack incoming. Ok, answer this charge:

The fictional dickwolves were raping a man. Also, they are, presumably, vicious, mindless animals that do not have the capacity to realize they are committing a crime. The only association this has with actual rape of actual women by actual men is the word rape itself, which, incidentally, is a word used in a variety of contexts (like if we were to say that European settlers raped the land that the Native Americans had held sacred).

So with all that in mind, what on earth does feminism have to do with it?

And just so I'm saying something on topic, regarding Duke Nukem, I see no problem with people complaining. If you're offended, you're offended. If I played Duke Nukem and hated it for the gameplay, I'd complain, so if someone plays it and hates it for the sexism, why can't they complain too? It shouldn't be banned as a result, but I encourage people to express their opinions of the games they play.
 

psyks

New member
Feb 17, 2010
25
0
0
Luke Cartner said:
psyks said:
AllLagNoFrag said:
This bring me to my point: If these types of sexist games are created for males to play, why the hell are the people that dont want to play the game complaining?
I nearly agreed with you up until this bit. This is a terrible blanket statement to make. What about if there was a game where you played a white supremacist and just lynched black guys? Would that statement of - it's not aimed at black guys so why are they complaining? - still apply? Probably not.

DeadlyYellow said:
This seems to be the popular reply that's circulating the other topics.

Time to mooch.

That's a terrible false equivalency that Penny arcade have made before. Simply put, misogyny is something that everyone can be influenced to partake in. Killing people on the battlefield isn't.

If anyone's aware of the dickwolf thing, these dudes displayed rather conclusively that they didn't care to understand feminism when they offended rape victims and didn't feel the need to act diplomatically (to summarise a long argument).
I feel its important to note that stances against rape isn't a feminist concept, especially with the dick wolves thing considering the dickwolves comic implied male rape.

Also as a victim of rape myself; I can say I didn't find that particular comic (or the one that spawned it)insensitive or offensive. Mainly because they (in both comics) were neither condoning or encouraging such behavior but instead portraying it as an awful consequence.
And lets face it, if we cant talk about a negative yet humorous sense. Then victims will never feel comfortable enough to talk about it in a normal sense although such behavior to continue in silence..
Ok, I understand that. I said I was summarising a long argument because I had really a long discussion about this, in which your viewpoint was brought up. If I remember correctly, it was mainly feminist groups that were involved in the debate. I was more referring to Penny Arcade's disregard for nuance.
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Of course its sexist... that is the whole point. The entire game concept is a parody of overblown sexism commonly found in media during the 80s. Its like Johnny Bravo seen by himself.

The game, the concepts and the protagonist doesn't take themselves seriously. They are all so macho centric its ridiculous, and that is the point. Its not always tasteful, but neither is Airport!, South Park or John Steward. Parody and satire are not meant to be tasteful.

Want to complain about deadpan sexism? Check games like Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Onechambara, X-Blades or The Guy Game.
 

psyks

New member
Feb 17, 2010
25
0
0
Labcoat Samurai said:
psyks said:
The fictional dickwolves were raping a man. Also, they are, presumably, vicious, mindless animals that do not have the capacity to realize they are committing a crime. The only association this has with actual rape of actual women by actual men is the word rape itself, which, incidentally, is a word used in a variety of contexts (like if we were to say that European settlers raped the land that the Native Americans had held sacred).
Please. I said I was summarising a long argument and that was only to make the point that Penny Arcade aren't known for their sensitivity.