Duke Nukem Forever Ad Banned in the U.K.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
So all it takes now is 30 odd people to ***** and something gets canned, the old generation dying off can't come soon enough in this country.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
As a general rule most people in Britain are not really that bothered by this level of sexual content. However there are some people who think it is their duty to be the moral guardians of our society and constantly complain about damn near everything. Sexual imagery and homosexuality are usually guaranteed to cause some level of complaint. I remember watching Torchwood Miracle Day when the gay sex scene came on, you could practically hear the furious typing of the whiner brigade already.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
"sexist, violent and overly explicit and included imagery which was likely to harm children and vulnerable people."
Sexist? No, Women pole dance in real life.

Violent? Yes, but so is every other FPS.

Likely to harm children?.. Ha... really?.. what?..

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
It's pretty explicit for an advert. Even with the "censoring" it doesn't leave much to the imagination. I'm not surprised they only show it after 11pm which I think is when all films and shows with explicit sexual content are allowed to start.

I'm british and I don't really care but I think if I was sat watching something at 9pm on TV with my mum she'd raise an eyebrow at that ad. Also people love to complain about stuff on TV here and they're always pandered to so no big suprise.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Wait wait wait, theyve banned an advert that isnt even been shown anymore?

Actually, this does kinda symbolise the current british gov, they only start caring when its too late.

Aug 25, 2009
We have no problem with boobs over in Britain, we just think they should be kept to their appropriate time slot.

I can't remember too much of this ad, but I can't say I'm surprised. I do remember thinking at the time that it seemed more risque than your usual pre-watershed advert. I don't think it's exactly a heinous crime of censorship either. Who really cares if DNF trailers are broadcast pre-watershed?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Christ, I'm tired of these attention grabbing headlines on the 'Pist nowadays. It wasn't BANNED, it was relegated to a later timeslot.

The Dutchess said:
It's pretty explicit for an advert. Even with the "censoring" it doesn't leave much to the imagination. I'm not surprised they only show it after 11pm which I think is when all films and shows with explicit sexual content are allowed to start.

I'm british and I don't really care but I think if I was sat watching something at 9pm on TV with my mum she'd raise an eyebrow at that ad. Also people love to complain about stuff on TV here and they're always pandered to so no big suprise.
As for the actual relegation, I agree with this poster.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
What's up with the "I hate DNF" bandwagon? You all really need to say how much it sucks at every opportunity it appears?

Sigh. Gaming community is incredible mature.

It sucked, deal with it, pass on. We got other games and probably new Duke Nukem games incoming, and the chances are they won't be a complete trainwreck.

About the ad, it seems that they were a bit late to it. Still, I hardly would believe it would cause any kind of harm to the children. Unless they are seeing it in 3D and one of the boobs hit their faces.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, the game is meant to be 18+ and the ad was pretty explicit. Without wanting to look like a no-good communist media censoring Nazi, I don't really see the issue with pushing this into after the watershed. I mean, that is sorta what the watershed is for.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
This advert is old.
This was already shown a great deal, all day every day, in the UK, when this game was released and a little before.

Why ban it now?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
The only way that the claim that this commercial is "likely to harm children" could be valid is if accompanied by a headline like, "Dozens of children killed when woman exposes own breasts to kindergarten class."

Wait, hang on. When did this happen? Because this ad literally has not been aired for four months. It's a pre-release ad. They don't just keep playing them after the release. Even from an utterly loony standpoint, any "harm" that this could possibly have caused has already been done. Are they hoping that the ASA can retroactively ban commercials?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Better bookmark this for when the next snotty person from the UK acts like Americans are the only ones who get uppity about a little nudity so I can throw this in their face, followed by handing them a nice cup of shut the fuck up. ;)

Anyway, what's the point of banning this now? If it was a pre-release ad, it's not being aired by now.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Better bookmark this for when the next snotty person from the UK acts like Americans are the only ones who get uppity about a little nudity so I can throw this in their face, followed by handing them a nice cup of shut the fuck up. ;)
Right, because now they have one instance of relegating an ad to late-night television. As compared to...how many of our ads that get outright banned for half as much?

I don't think the issue is the nudity (that would be strange given how often that isn't a problem in exactly these circumstances). I think the issue is the blatant sexism. Even if you want to claim that Duke Nukem is supposed to be satire, there is absolutely no way to tell that from this ad. If someone unfamiliar with the series saw this, they wouldn't see hilarious parody of modern action-movie and videogame tropes (to the extent that you believe this is the intent of the series) they would see exactly the sort of thing that Duke Nukem is claimed to be a parody of.

This is just really poor advertising for a game relying on an intended tone of satire.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Video footage: A muscular man rips out the spinal cord of a young woman, blood gushes everywhere and he maniacally laughs in sheer joy at the murder of an innocent.

Reaction:
[IMG src="http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab279/bedsidecreeper/meme%20faces%20part%203/tn-tumblr_le132cuihN1qdh9y5.jpg"/]

Video footage: Nipple slip

Reaction:

[IMG src="http://rayvellest.com/images/articles/four-highly-detailed-meme-faces-by-illustrator-sam-spratt/highly-detailed-meme-face-rage.jpeg"/]

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I'm not too surprised about this, except for the late ban. For one, the advert is... not shocking, but I wouldn't expect it to be shown before the watershed.

Secondly, people complain about everything, and if about 20 people complain (out of millions) the programme gets either stern words, sanctions, or cancelled in some cases.