Duke Nukem Forever PC Specs Revealed

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I unno how I glossed over it, but seein you need Steam makes me wonder why thats becomin such a big trend in the industry lately. Games come out and you end up needin to validate it through Steam or Games for Windows Live or Impulse...or a combination of Steam and Games for Windows Live. The hecks the point of that anyway? Is it like poor studios DRM or somethin?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
shintakie10 said:
I unno how I glossed over it, but seein you need Steam makes me wonder why thats becomin such a big trend in the industry lately. Games come out and you end up needin to validate it through Steam or Games for Windows Live or Impulse...or a combination of Steam and Games for Windows Live. The hecks the point of that anyway? Is it like poor studios DRM or somethin?
Steamworks is actually the best DRM on the market, from the publishers point of view. It's one of the main reasons I only buy Steam games when their on sale.

flakmagnet

Jan 26, 2011
believer258 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Button-mashers have it easy when it comes to buying videogames. All they have to worry about is which logo is on the box. Those of us with more refined gaming palates have weightier matters to contend with, however, foremost among them being "minimum system requirements," the arcane formula which tells us whether or not a particular game will run on our rig.
I'm tired of being put down as less of a gamer because I play mostly on consoles. I understand that this wasn't meant that way, but it still seems like every time I turn around there's a PC gloat going around. I'm not taking a huge offense at this one, but PC gamers, please stop putting me down for preferring an analog stick to a mouse. By the way, I do own several games on PC and do play them.
*snip*
As a gamer of 20 years, I'd love to know the same, unfortunately, it will probably stop as soon as console fanboys stop flaming each other.

End of the day, we all like the same pastime. I prefer controller from the sofa as it's cheaper, more comfortable and more of my friends play online on the 360. I'm not going to reccomend to all of them they get a PC with high enough spec just so they can play with me. I like the occasional PC game, but 360 is my preference. Let's stop the elitism (and the console fanboy wars too while we're wishing on rainbows here!)

OT: specs not too high is a good thing for me, more of my mates may give it a try, I may get the PC version. We shall see.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Pebkac said:
redisforever said:
MY GOD! I can run this! I was expecting to have it be unplayable on my laptop, but I can play it! Glad they're using the Unreal 2.5 engine, 3 hates my computer. 2.5 works great, usually.

EDIT: Wait, an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4250. Will that work? It can run most games, newest one I think was the new Medal of Honor game. By newest, I mean graphics tech.
A 3850 is much better than a 4250.

"Series 3" vs "Series 4" isn't going to make a huge different, but the 8 in 3850 signifies a gaming series card, while the 2 in 4250 signifies general purpose; ie: high definition movies.

It's like Celeron 3.2 GHz VS Pentium 2.6 GHz.

Andy Chalk said:
Button-mashers have it easy when it comes to buying videogames. All they have to worry about is which logo is on the box. Those of us with more refined gaming palates have weightier matters to contend with, however, foremost among them being "minimum system requirements," the arcane formula which tells us whether or not a particular game will run on our rig.
Like how those with more refined taste drink bottled water.
It should still be within the minimums, though; I have a 4200 myself, and as I understand it, the performance is comparable to a 3400, and that should be at least as good as a measly 2600.

Edit: Not that I'm going to buy this game until I can try a demo. I've been burned by minimums that were lower than they should have been too many times for me not to be wary of a game with a graphics card requirement that I'm right on the edge of, even if I'm above the recommended specs everywhere else.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Button-mashers have it easy when it comes to buying videogames. All they have to worry about is which logo is on the box. Those of us with more refined gaming palates have weightier matters to contend with,
So in the FIRST SENTENCE, you claim that PC Gamers have better taste than console gamers, even coming up with a cute little nickname for console gamers.

Nice bit of professional gaming journalism... /sarcasm

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
I was actually surprised when I saw this. Everything in my rig is above and beyond what this game is asking of me. So this is what it feels like to be a PC gamer...I feel smug.

AnythingOutstanding said:
This is what we get for making it a console port instead of a PC exclusive like it should have been.

*cry*
What? You get a game that is pretty damn easy to run and still looks great? That's a bad thing?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i think can run that? lol

im not too sure about actually buying the game though, seems like a waste of time now.

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
as long as these are the real requirements and this isnt like "Black Ops" minimum requirements then I think most of us are going tho be fine. Thanks for the post. I was wondering about what was required myself.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Pebkac said:
redisforever said:
Yeah, but I meant, can I play the game with it?
The minimum is a 2600, which is a mid-range gaming card... but even older, so it's even harder to compare to new ones. It has 120 pipelines @ 500 MHz VS the 4250's 40 @ 500 MHz. But the architecture would be very different; the 4250 is newer tech, it's just not made to be powerful.

I'd say no, but it's always possible to get games to run on systems below spec. You'd have to try the demo (if they make one).

I wouldn't buy it first.
Hmm, I've got a similar layout in a laptop to redisforever, but I've got the ATI Radeon mobility HD4570 (512mb). It does run Starcraft 2 on medium graphics quite well, and Flight Sim 9/2004 on high. The poor little Intel Pentium Dual Core running at 2.3Ghz is probably my main limiting factor.

Do you reckon my Laptop would be able to handle the Duke?

Ian Nelson

Mar 31, 2011
Hah, I play games on PC sometimes, but me having an xbox and liking the simple fact that I don't have to upgrade it every 6 months to play the newest games makes me a button masher? I think NOT. I press with finesse mofo.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, at least I know I still don't have to upgrade my system yet. "Built to midrange gaming specs after the release of the first-run PS3" is still a good standard for being able to run modern games. I'd be sad, but I really don't want to fork over the cash to build a new rig yet.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I can't read that gibberish, but it actually looks like my machine might be able to run it. Which is frankly surprising.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Like all games coming out now, I pass all except the processor. Not that I was planning on getting this ginormous turd.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Thedutchjelle said:
Pretty light? Wut? My ATI x1600 can't run it :( .

I hate my gaming hobby for this. Tech bought now is obsolete in just a few years. And it's always the goddamn videocard. Never do they push the audiocard to it's max or whatever. I match everything on that list but the videocard. Sigh.

Well I guess DNF won't come to me then this year :p I think I can survive the wait tho.
The average user's speakers are garbage, and the above average user's speakers are fairly decent. The ones with powerful X-Fi audio with EAX5.0, X-Ram (which is useless in the face of standard memory) and 5.1 or higher system are an extreme minority. I'd take a sound card over chip any day though...

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I'm getting it for PS3, but it's cool to know I can run it on my PC anyway! :p