Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
Steam = no buy. Ever. F**k them.
Tell us how you really feel. I still haven't gotten a decent anti-Steam argument.
Why would anyone dislike Steam?
That's like hating shoes. Or light bulbs. Things that make life easier.

I already pre-ordered from Gamestop... Will they give me my 5 bucks back if I ask them?

Freaking captchas...

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Irridium said:
Well that sucks for those who don't want to have to use Steam. I hate it that companies force buyers into using applications they don't want to, and shouldn't have to use. Regardless of how good that system is.
Yeah I get that so I make sure to buy some games from Impulse and GoGs so steam only gets my business for exclusives.

I will say I love digital distribution. I would go all digital with Duke as well but not when I can get the "Balls of Steel" version! That means I will get it in a store. I have said elsewhere I think this is the direction the market it going anyway.

To wit: Digital distribution with only bothering to get the collect's editions in the store. (When there are physical extras)

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
FlashHero said:
WTF...Big Head Mode is GAMESTOP ONLY...RAGGGEEEGEGGEGEGEGGGEEGEGEGEGEGGEGE
Not really..it's probably just a cheat-code that they say is "exclusive" because they can. :/

Besides, if it is DLC, you'll be able to buy it later.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
sheic99 said:
Is it weird that I assumed the hat would be in Team Fortress 2?
It would be weird if DID NOT expect it.
Imagine, Duke Nukem Hair and Sunglasses and Cigar on the Heavy.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Wow, they're really pulling out all the stops on this one. I can't complain though, I've already got my Balls of Steel edition reserved.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
Jesus, people on this site are retarded. When he says download for a torrent, he does NOT mean Steam. He means he is getting a Steamless version from various other torrent sites AFTER he buys it from Steam.

NLS said:
Circumveinting the copy protection in games is still illegal. If you can't live with that, then don't buy games, and certainly, don't pirate games, because you do not in any way "deserve" the right to do that.
The hell it is. You are free to do what ever you want to with what is on your own computer.

OT: Not getting this now. I'm really bummed out, Duke Nukem was on game I was looking forward to this year, but no, they have to add this shit DRM to it. I like being able to install my games whenever I like. Steam takes away that right. Oh well, there is always Bulletstorm.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Randy Pitchford: ?Steam Isn?t The Answer? [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/randy-pitchford-%E2%80%9Csteam-isn%E2%80%99t-the-answer%E2%80%9D]

?I love Valve games, and I do business with the company," he told Maximum PC. "But, I?m just saying, Steam isn?t the answer. Steam helps us as customers, but it?s also a money grab, and Valve is exploiting a lot of people in a way that?s not totally fair. Valve is taking a larger share than it should for the service it?s providing. It?s exploiting a lot of small guys. For us big guys, we?re going to sell the units and it will be fine.?
Oh...irony.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
linwolf said:
Using steamworks, one more game that I will have to cross of my buy list. I am now down to one or maybe two games this entire year.
When I first heard about this years line up there where 11 game on it, but one by one DRM has strip them from the list, only one was removed because trouble with the game itself.

A game has to be on a way cheap sale before I will put up with the hassle that is steam.
Have fun missing out on some of the greatest releases this year.

OT: That's a pretty sweet bonus. Still, I'm going for the Balls of Steel edition.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Big Head mode? Really? They're using a gimmick from games such as Goldeneye (which was released a few months after DNF was first ANNOUNCED) and NBA Jam (which predates Duke Nukem 2 IIRC) as a selling point for DNF in 2011? Wow. Just, wow. Am I the only one who is mentally screaming "LAAAAAAAAAAAAME"? Well, at least you can't fault them for knowing some of their audience, i.e. jaded old fucks like me, some (if not many) of whom are still on the fence as to whether this game is actually worth buying after all this time. I'm a very different person to who I was when I played Duke Nukem 3D. Hell I can't even remember the last time I felt an urge to play DN3D (I did, however, recently play DN2 on a dedicated DOS PC a friend of mine built. For him, Dosbox doesn't quite cut for the authentic classic PC gaming experience. Yeah, he can be weird that way sometimes).

I'm also going to just state my opinion that the hat Wal-Mart are throwing in as a bonus sucks. It looks like the kinda crap I wore back in grade school (and only then because of the "no hat, no play" policy my school had during spring and summer). I'd feel like a complete tool wearing something like that now (and I used to proudly wear my Half-Life 1 T-shirt in public).

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
Tell us how you really feel. I still haven't gotten a decent anti-Steam argument.
Back when Steam was first introduced it was crap. Nothing worked as it should, and it basically eliminated all multiplayer gaming over LAN.

Nowadays, Steam is basically my only source for games in general. Hard to find a flaw with the current Steam, except maybe that installing games can take forever and it requires getting a new version of the same version of DirectX every time you install a new game. Other than that I see no real issues with it.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
I swear if they put another hat in Team Fortress 2 with Duke Nuke'm on it I will nuke my system. This whole hat this is ridiculous.

Nahhnbah

Nov 4, 2010
I am very happy to see it isn't exclusive to steam. No internet means that when I buy a game, I have to get someone to crack the DRM so I can play it. Still dont understand why they need DRM, I bought the damn thing... they have my money... baww.

I just hope its not another Spore (but surely Duke wouldnt be lame enough to need internet activation?)

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
I got my Balls of Steel Edition for PC pre-ordered and I can't wait to get my hands on it... It's been too long since the last good Duke Game!

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Imat said:
lacktheknack said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
Back when Steam was first introduced it was crap. Nothing worked as it should, and it basically eliminated all multiplayer gaming over LAN.

Nowadays, Steam is basically my only source for games in general. Hard to find a flaw with the current Steam, except maybe that installing games can take forever and it requires getting a new version of the same version of DirectX every time you install a new game. Other than that I see no real issues with it.
That, and offline mode can be a bit flaky at times (some of my Source mods don't seem to work offline for some odd reason), but otherwise Steam works flawlessly.

I still remember buying Half-Life 2 and not being able to play it because I didn't have internet at the time (should've read the back of the box). But now, I love Steam, and buy all my games there.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
LoganN said:
Jesus, people on this site are retarded. When he says download for a torrent, he does NOT mean Steam. He means he is getting a Steamless version from various other torrent sites AFTER he buys it from Steam.

NLS said:
Circumveinting the copy protection in games is still illegal. If you can't live with that, then don't buy games, and certainly, don't pirate games, because you do not in any way "deserve" the right to do that.
The hell it is. You are free to do what ever you want to with what is on your own computer.

OT: Not getting this now. I'm really bummed out, Duke Nukem was on game I was looking forward to this year, but no, they have to add this shit DRM to it. I like being able to install my games whenever I like. Steam takes away that right. Oh well, there is always Bulletstorm.
uhh, no yer not. it's called licensing. you are bound by the terms of the license you purchase. if you had that kind of freedom, torrenting games would not be such an issue.

and on the DRM bit, this is the most free form of DRM around. you can install it whenever you like, and if you purchase the disc it'll just be that much easier. hell, this'll allow you to install it on 50 PC's if you want (granted you'll only be able to play it on one at a time, but it beats those forms of DRM that only give you like 5-10 installs).

On the bulletstorm front, I keep seeing various sites stating that it'll be using GFWL... while I haven't seen an official announcement on that yet, I really hope not.... REALLY looking forward to that game, and it'll most certainly end up killing the whole thing for me if they do.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
uppitycracker said:
uhh, no yer not. it's called licensing. you are bound by the terms of the license you purchase. if you had that kind of freedom, torrenting games would not be such an issue.
Legally, I can do whatever I want to the files on my computer. Courts even agree to this, and did so in cases of iPhone jailbraking. It is not illegal in the slightest to use cracks for the software you own.

and on the DRM bit, this is the most free form of DRM around. you can install it whenever you like, and if you purchase the disc it'll just be that much easier. hell, this'll allow you to install it on 50 PC's if you want (granted you'll only be able to play it on one at a time, but it beats those forms of DRM that only give you like 5-10 installs).
SecuRom allows you to install on as many different computers as you like, at least when it is in its most friendly form. Steam is shit DRM because it requires you to activate before you even install it. Then the store front has to be open at all times while you play the game. By default, it also spams you with ads. The game is only going to be around for as long as Steam is. If we are waiting as long as we did for this one, we might not get to replay Forever before the next Duke Nukem comes out.

On the bulletstorm front, I keep seeing various sites stating that it'll be using GFWL... while I haven't seen an official announcement on that yet, I really hope not.... REALLY looking forward to that game, and it'll most certainly end up killing the whole thing for me if they do.
And? GFWL is a lot more DRM friendly than Steam. Activation is completely optional. I don't have to worry about that service dieing, because I can play without it, unlike with Steam.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
uppitycracker said:
Legally, I can do whatever I want to the files on my computer. Courts even agree to this, and did so in cases of iPhone jailbraking. It is not illegal in the slightest to use cracks for the software you own.

SecuRom allows you to install on as many different computers as you like, at least when it is in its most friendly form. Steam is shit DRM because it requires you to activate before you even install it. Then the store front has to be open at all times while you play the game. By default, it also spams you with ads. The game is only going to be around for as long as Steam is. If we are waiting as long as we did for this one, we might not get to replay Forever before the next Duke Nukem comes out.

And? GFWL is a lot more DRM friendly than Steam. Activation is completely optional. I don't have to worry about that service dieing, because I can play without it, unlike with Steam.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
... a downloadable content collection that includes an in-game EGO boost (I have no idea what that is)...
If I am not mistaken, EGO is the Duke Nukem version of health points. In every DN game, Duke's health is his EGO, which is pretty funny, actually. It means that he is immortal as long as he thinks he is.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Ringwraith said:
EGO is the game's name for the health bar if I remember correctly from some of the gameplay videos, which sounds like a bit of a cop-out if you get a bigger health bar as a distributor-exclusive pre-order bonus.
The best pre-order bonuses are the ones that don't upset the balance of the game very much (if at all), as otherwise it's slipping down the slope of paying extra money making things much easier by making you more powerful.
Which would be more of a problem in a competitive multiplayer game or MMO, but this is Duke Nukem. If you have more health in single player, turn up the difficulty. Hell, not that I agree with it, but haven't the last three Call of Duty games had some sort of pre-order bonus that gave you early access to certain weapons in their online multiplayer?

Personally, I like this kind of stuff. I liked all of the different pre-order packs for Fallout: New Vegas, and the fact that as a PC gamer, I could get all 4 of them. I did pre-order from GameStop to get the Special Edition, because I'm a sucker for Fallout memorabilia. Still it was nice to have the binoculars from one pack, the bonus weapon from another, and the armor from the third.