Dumbest A.I in a video game?

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
I don't know the dumbest but, I know the smartest. The most intelligent AI is the Search Bar from The Adventure of the Search Bar. The Search Bar know ever thing about the Escapist, including forums that have been done over and over again.

Please kids, before posting, use the search bar.

ame.kiri.yuki

Feb 11, 2009
My guess is that the NWN and NWN2 companion AI is intentional because of how easily a GMPC (which is what they are, from a certain point of view) could pwn everything. And how easy it is to break D&D. Having Qara actually know that all she has to do is spam the hell out of her fire spells would make the game a bit easy.

hylianarmy

Aug 12, 2009
My vote probably would go for the enemy A.I. in Pokemon Red and Blue.

Every time I go to Erika's gym and whip out someone like Weepinbell, Gloom, or Ivysaur, Erika would just sit there and spam PoisonPowder over and over and over! Made for an easy fight, but, dang! I wanted a challenge!

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I got to say the people in Oblivion as well, especially during the very few yet very annoying "follow me" missions. When you do these missions you do it "their" way and by that I mean you will stay at least 10 feet behind them while they casually stroll through a graveyard filled with skeletal champions or some other weird stuff. You will not go ahead of them, if you do they stop in their tracks and refuse to continue forward. And they obviously have never heard of running. >.<

Oh and also some random guy attacked me, that one guy in the Imperial City retired Arcane University guy IDK why, I became Arch-Mage and out of nowhere he was like oh... you're the Arch-Mage huh? Cool... cool... DIE!!! Anyway sorry about the rant lol. >_>

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
Your teammates from Battlefield: Bad Company. They were fucking immortal and couldn't hit a guy 2 feet away with a fucking SHOTGUN. I've launched so many fucking grenades at Haggard it's not even funny.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Xyphon said:
Your teammates from Battlefield: Bad Company. They were fucking immortal and couldn't hit a guy 2 feet away with a fucking SHOTGUN. I've launched so many fucking grenades at Haggard it's not even funny.
I prefer frag grenades, fucking grenades are not very accurate.

Definitely the AI from Fable II, one second they're commenting on how they knew that one rude guy in Bloodstone who you killed, then they complement you on your rockin' moustache.

One More Frag

Aug 11, 2009
The guards from Assasins Creed, The Arbiter and the marines from halo, and your partner from Army of Two. Take your pick...

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
Akai Shizuku said:
Why is newer AI so suckass compared to old AI?
it's not so much that they are worse, it's that because we now have games where we have a greater ability to interact with AI and NPC's, we expect that they will have more realistic expressions. In the old days, there were less ways to interact, and so we expected less realism from NPC's. As technology progresses, we just expect more, and ultimately will likely be disappointed.

SkylerRock

Apr 19, 2009
Mass Effect had pretty poor AI, and the enemies in Fallout 3 seemed to have something of a swarm mentality, even when they were all on their lonesome.

The prize for most pants on head retarded AI though has to go to Planetside, those TR and NC were just awful. (Yes, that is a light-hearted jab).

Actually, the AI in Deus Ex could be dodgy at times, it seemed a bit indecisive as to whether the enemies should charge or hide in cover. Saw more times than enough enemies under fire would charge directly at me only to pause a scant few feet away then run back towards cover, then stop to shoot. And die.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
TeaBaggin said:
Louis from L4D, GET OUT OF THE WAY MAH BULLETS ARE THERE!
The A.I. that controls ALL the characters in L4D. The Zombies are smarter than your A.I. controled teammates.

Mutough

Apr 5, 2009
Spawn for the SNES, at least in the first screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWE3AN7ym-g

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Driver 2 on the PS1.
They cant dodge cars but when you come within 15 feet of them they run through the nearest wall.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Well I for one never had a problem with dom

Anyway...
I think it was Metal of Honor rising sun. I walked three feet from guy looking RIGHT AT ME and does nothing. I take one more step and then he decided to shoot me

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
I know it's been said before, but the AI in Assasin's Creed. It's not even so much that they are dumb, but are inconsistent. When I'm ten feet away, they think I'm just a priest who has a blade fetish, then when I'm five feet away, they suddenly realize who I am. Or on horseback...just because I'm galloping means that I am an enemy? what if I was actually a priest who had to get to my church because of an emergency? Or maybe because it's a big map, and I'd like to get through it quickly. At one point in Jerusalem, I just sat on a rope between two buildings, and threw knives at every guard who passed by for about five minutes...I killed at least thirty guards this way (yes I did have to restock) and yet no one realized that maybe i wasn't on the ground. The number of bodies was staggering when I finally came down. Not being a game developer, I have no idea how hard it is to program AI's especially in such an intricate and huge world, but it still seems ridiculous