Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dumpstarwars
(Sorry for using this as a source but I think it summarizes it best)

So apparently there are rumors that the new Star Wars movie, Rogue One edited in a scene As a take that to trump (This is not actually been confirmed as far as I know). So now a bunch of Trump supporters getting really angry about it.

So what do you guys think about this?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
so is this gonna be like the Ghostbusters thing where if I don't love the franchise it means I'm XYZ? I mean I dug Episode 7 but I got a ways before I'd call myself a Star Wars guy.

It's whatever. The people that will boycott it likely weren't going to be seeing it in the first place, and Ive always maintained you can't boycott something you're not a patron of.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Anything Trump supporters dont like must be good. Too bad I was already guaranteed to see it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
For how much the Left gets mocked for needing "Safe Spaces" and having thin skin, Trump supports seem to get awfully butthurt easily about...well....everything.

Although I suppose Trump gets all butthurt from Alec Baldwin's SNL skits so maybe they're just taking a page from their fearless leader?

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Okay, I don't pay particularly heavy attention to the news, so I may have missed something, but- have we run out of real problems? Did we end war and hunger and overpopulation and pollution and government oppression and social oppression and Fred Upton, and no one told me?

Griping about a scene that may or may not be in a movie, that may or may not have been edit to make it that way, in a movie that hasn't even been released yet, makes me think that these people don't have enough problems.

undeadsuitor said:
So

if Star Wars has had an anti-fascist message since the beginning

and they think star wars is anti-trump

are they admitting trump is a fascist?
Trump being a fascist is like Obama being the Antichrist; if he is, he's really, really bad at it. And anyway, that line of logic would be better applied to claiming that it's an admission that Trump is a stormtrooper.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
...Huh. That actually makes me slightly more likely to watch it in theatres instead of waiting for the Blu Ray. Just to spite the type of person who would boycott a film which dares to say something bad about their darling lord and saviour.

Senator Palpatine has been manipulating fanatic racism to bolster his voter base LONG before Trump even got the idea. A scene where an Imperial officer mutters about forced segregation or deportation of non-human species is hardly new material.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Hmm, a couple of writers and some Disney executive have been virtue-signalling about the movie sticking it to some dumb "White Supremacy" bogeyman, like they're telling everyone to consider Trump as (when he's a beast of a different order altogether). Which does make me at least significantly less enthusiastic about seeing it. Not because I Stand With teh SuperWhitey, but because prostituting the Popular Mythos you've been entrusted with guiding to your need to preen in ephemeral rags of RightThink is something of a cultural war crime that doesn't deserve to be rewarded. That's not "art", and not even decent Pop Culture.

undeadsuitor said:
"Fascist" is a term for a particular historic political movement. If you want to compare the Empire to that, you can. But it's not "fascist".

This, I feel, is very much a crucial distinction.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So what you're saying is that I can watch goofy sci-fi movies and piss off fundamentally contemptible people at the same time?

Fucking sold.

It's like being told someone has invented pizza with negative calories.

Bet the edited anti-Trump scenes don't even exist. Not that I'd mind overmuch if they did.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
StatusNil said:
Hmm, a couple of writers and some Disney executive have been virtue-signalling about the movie sticking it to some dumb "White Supremacy" bogeyman, like they're telling everyone to consider Trump as (when he's a beast of a different order altogether). Which does make me at least significantly less enthusiastic about seeing it. Not because I Stand With teh SuperWhitey, but because prostituting the Popular Mythos you've been entrusted with guiding to your need to preen in ephemeral rags of RightThink is something of a cultural war crime that doesn't deserve to be rewarded. That's not "art", and not even decent Pop Culture.

undeadsuitor said:
"Fascist" is a term for a particular historic political movement. If you want to compare the Empire to that, you can. But it's not "fascist".

This, I feel, is very much a crucial distinction.
Disney has been a beacon of progressive views for a fair while. Perhaps not during the time of Snow White, but even Cinderella is a fuck you to those who step on the little guy. Or girl and mice in that case.

If you dont like that Disney thinks the world should be a good place, thats on you.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
tf2godz said:
So what do you guys think about this?
I think it shows the blinding hypocrisy of the American left given how many are laughing it off and pretending that actively insulting and intentionally alienating half the American people is a good thing, all while also pretending that if the same was happening against them they wouldn't be acting equally or worst to it.

I mean I get that people love shoving their "not nearly as popular as they think it is" politics down people's throats, but given how everyone and their dog seems to have accepted the hype was the only reason we thought TFA was good for a while before it ended up like Phantom Menace , you'd think Disney (a company that hates controversy) would have had a problem with the writer of a movie that's been plagued with production problems explicitly telling half the American audience not to bother showing up because he clearly hates them wouldn't have been allowed to fly. The fact it was shows just how little faith the studio has in the quality of the movie, and is enough of a red flag in itself to warrant a trip to the theatres being spend elsewhere even without regard to the message at hand.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
StatusNil said:
That's not "art", and not even decent Pop Culture.
Disney isn't interested in making "art" or pop culture, it's interested in making money. That's why it pretends to be progressive in the US while it's actions abroad contradict this to the point of it being impossible to reconcile. Everything is done because of the belief that it's more profitable. Which means in the US market the studio likely has so little faith in the movie they're willing to alienate half the audience in the hopes of getting the other half to be more likely to see it.

At this point I'm wondering if they expect the movie to brake the billion mark.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I still say some people are overthinking things... but this is the internet, guess I shouldn't expect any less...

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Saelune said:
Disney has been a beacon of progressive views for a fair while. Perhaps not during the time of Snow White, but even Cinderella is a fuck you to those who step on the little guy. Or girl and mice in that case.

If you dont like that Disney thinks the world should be a good place, thats on you.
Sure, I mean Walt himself did allegedly take an interest in the "Aryan Social Justice" movement of the 1930s.

I believe Disney wants the world to be a captive market. That's why they (among others) are positioning their products as "social causes" that the pseudo-community of "fans" will feel obligated to "support". Everyone else because "this is for your advancement", the dreaded white dude because he's a horrible hater if he doesn't. If you think about it, it's deeply regressive in the actual Marxist sense, since it's effectively a step back in "History" (with a capital "H") from the unconstrained commerce of capitalism to the downright feudal reciprocal duties between the corporate Lord and the fan-Peasant.

What I find distressing about the whole thing is that the whole notion of human diversity has been coopted by such an aggressively herding profit-stabilization scheme, and everyone thinks that's an improvement.

Zontar said:
Disney isn't interested in making "art" or pop culture, it's interested in making money.
Indeed, see my application of Critical Theory above. I'd like some Pop Culture, though. Even used to like me a bit of art back in the day.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
StatusNil said:
Saelune said:

Sure, I mean Walt himself did allegedly take an interest in the "Aryan Social Justice" movement of the 1930s.

I believe Disney wants the world to be a captive market. That's why they (among others) are positioning their products as "social causes" that the pseudo-community of "fans" will feel obligated to "support". Everyone else because "this is for your advancement", the dreaded white dude because he's a horrible hater if he doesn't. If you think about it, it's deeply regressive in the actual Marxist sense, since it's effectively a step back in "History" (with a capital "H") from the unconstrained commerce of capitalism to the downright feudal reciprocal duties between the corporate Lord and the fan-Peasant.

What I find distressing about the whole thing is that the whole notion of human diversity has been coopted by such an aggressively herding profit-stabilization scheme, and everyone thinks that's an improvement.
Well, Disney is dead. I prefer to think his good traits make up enough for his bad ones. But Disney is not just one man, not anymore. Maybe the top runners of Disney are just profiteers, but the ones actually making the art are artists, and artists tend toward progressive views more than not. And Id rather people profit on the idea of being a good person than a bad person.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I think this is all rumormongering and innuendo. I predict that there will be a generic appeal against Fascism that nobody could find offensive except actual Fascists. Except that it will be co-opted by various partisan factions and everyone will have a nice two minutes hate, at the end of which they will feel virtuous for having stood up (note: no actual standing or any other form of substantial effort will be involved) for whatever it is they claim to care so much about.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Veylon said:
I think this is all rumormongering and innuendo. I predict that there will be a generic appeal against Fascism that nobody could find offensive except actual Fascists. Except that it will be co-opted by various partisan factions and everyone will have a nice two minutes hate, at the end of which they will feel virtuous for having stood up (note: no actual standing or any other form of substantial effort will be involved) for whatever it is they claim to care so much about.
Yup...they might always find some way to undermine it. Maybe there will be a message about how money corrupts in their zillion dollar movie.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I think either side of this alleged debate has too high an opinion of themselves if they think there's a scene in a new Star Wars movie deliberately there to take the piss out of them and them alone.