#DumpStarWars The new hashtag boycott

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
]You, um, did realise I was taking the piss, right? Seeing a film twice to fight a culture war, and all?
You say that like it isn't something people already do xD
Or that (quite a sizeable it feels at times, but maybe it's just the loudest shouting over the minority) a number of forumites on this site don't honestly think like this. Maybe i did confuse you for the real thing, but i can't even tell anymore due to the prevalence of this sort of rhetoric said in absolute earnest.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Frankster said:
You say that like it isn't something people already do xD
Well, people are obviously free to come up with any reason they wish to just not buy--- sorry, 'boycott' something. I think 'boycotting' Mass Effect Andromeda just because a certain writer says inane things on social media (inanity is surely social media's raison d'etre... ) is stupid, but if someone wishes to fight those pesky SJW's by not tossing ?40 EA/BioWare's way, well, good for them, I guess, if it makes them feel all political and stuff.

Or that (quite a sizeable it feels at times, but maybe it's just the loudest shouting over the minority) a number of forumites on this site don't honestly think like this. Maybe i did confuse you for the real thing, but i can't even tell anymore due to the prevalence of this sort of rhetoric said in absolute earnest.
No, I don't blame you for not being able to tell. In the same reply you quoted from, there was a vid by some guy ranting - and I'm still not entirely sure whether he means the nonsense he was spouting. Down is up, and up is down...

As for me and Rogue One: seeing it won't achieve anything, nor will 'boycotting' it, so yeah, if this is a pivot point for a self-created culture war, then that tells us everything we need to know about the one's seeking to define themselves through it.

Apr 24, 2008
I hope they didn't see the production of the film as a spring-board for some hacky political posturing...

This is the internet though. There's no shortage of people desperate to read into something uncharitably so they can have their moment in the whine-light.

I'll reserve judgement.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I hope they didn't see the production of the film as a spring-board for some hacky political posturing...

This is the internet though. There's no shortage of people desperate to read into something uncharitably so they can have their moment in the whine-light.

I'll reserve judgement.
I said it before, I'll say it again: saw the film yesterday, there's no commentary whatsoever on current US politics.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
Dont defend it.
I'll defend it if I feel like it.

Saelune said:
Humans are boring. Plus its Star Wars.
And? That doesn't change the practicality of having people in ridiculously elaborate costumes, trying to do extreme physical actions doesn't work well. Hell the original movies, the stormtroopers, just guys in armor and a helmet, were famous for not being able to see shit while they were on set. And you want a person in a costume as big and bulky as a mascot's outfit to do the same? And speaking of mascots, have you seen how goofy and silly mascots look when they do, or try to do elaborate physical actions? It looks unrealistic in the extreme. The same will happen with the people in the movie. That's just a reality that fans, no matter how rabidly fanatical they are, have to deal with.

Saelune said:
Sure, I get it in Star Trek which is primarily TV shows with much smaller budgets, but Star Wars, especially now should be more than capable of dealing with this well.

Part of the fun of Sci-Fi is aliens. I have been watching Star Trek TNG lately, and when an alien looking alien shows up, its usually better for it. Same for Star Wars.
Sure, aliens are great, but aliens just for the sake of aliens isn't interesting. And I guarantee there will be plenty of aliens in scenes that don't involve very high paced, technical physical acting. A political scene, or military strategy scene, sure, the Rebellion will probably be 50/50. But when you've got actors running around a set, with explosions going off at specific locations, and they have to be able to know their marks, and navigate safely to avoid injury, no, they're not going to put the guy in the rubber suit with a field of vision of like 5% of normal in that situation. It's called liability, and practicality.

Didn't even need text.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
The last one wasn't very good, so it's not like I was going to watch this one anyway.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DOOM GUY said:
The last one wasn't very good, so it's not like I was going to watch this one anyway.
It also has an even lower critic score then the last one, and given how much some of those critics are squealing over it (re: buzzfeed being buzzfeed) it's pretty clear this is another quality dud that'll make money.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Zontar said:
It also has an even lower critic score then the last one, and given how much some of those critics are squealing over it (re: buzzfeed being buzzfeed) it's pretty clear this is another quality dud that'll make money.
It's a shame really, the franchise is almost guaranteed to make money no matter how terrible it gets, for a while anyway.

Apr 24, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:

I'll reserve judgement.
I said it before, I'll say it again: saw the film yesterday, there's no commentary whatsoever on current US politics.
Oh, that's good to hear. I skimmed the thread since I'm not interested in reading 5 pages of the usual bile, and missed your post in the process.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
Dont defend it.

Saelune said:
And? That doesn't change the practicality of having people in ridiculously elaborate costumes, trying to do extreme physical actions doesn't work well. Hell the original movies, the stormtroopers, just guys in armor and a helmet, were famous for not being able to see shit while they were on set. And you want a person in a costume as big and bulky as a mascot's outfit to do the same? And speaking of mascots, have you seen how goofy and silly mascots look when they do, or try to do elaborate physical actions? It looks unrealistic in the extreme. The same will happen with the people in the movie. That's just a reality that fans, no matter how rabidly fanatical they are, have to deal with.

Saelune said:
Sure, I get it in Star Trek which is primarily TV shows with much smaller budgets, but Star Wars, especially now should be more than capable of dealing with this well.

Part of the fun of Sci-Fi is aliens. I have been watching Star Trek TNG lately, and when an alien looking alien shows up, its usually better for it. Same for Star Wars.
Sure, aliens are great, but aliens just for the sake of aliens isn't interesting. And I guarantee there will be plenty of aliens in scenes that don't involve very high paced, technical physical acting. A political scene, or military strategy scene, sure, the Rebellion will probably be 50/50. But when you've got actors running around a set, with explosions going off at specific locations, and they have to be able to know their marks, and navigate safely to avoid injury, no, they're not going to put the guy in the rubber suit with a field of vision of like 5% of normal in that situation. It's called liability, and practicality.

Didn't even need text.
What is your point? Those are both fights that involve heavy CGI, which isn't what we're talking about here. And you've presented two clips that many fans thought looked stupid, because the CGI was so lame. So since you felt no need to provide text, how about you clarify if you are trying, and failing, to counter my argument, or trying in some weird way to support it. Because I'm talking about practical effects, something Rogue One is focusing on, and you are posting images of CGI. Which is kind of pointless.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Happyninja42 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
Dont defend it.

Saelune said:

Saelune said:

Didn't even need text.
What is your point? Those are both fights that involve heavy CGI, which isn't what we're talking about here. And you've presented two clips that many fans thought looked stupid, because the CGI was so lame. So since you felt no need to provide text, how about you clarify if you are trying, and failing, to counter my argument, or trying in some weird way to support it. Because I'm talking about practical effects, something Rogue One is focusing on, and you are posting images of CGI. Which is kind of pointless.
Going to second this. Hasn't one of the largest complaints against the prequels (other than shoddy writing) been the ridiculous overuse of CGI? The use of practical effects over CGI was praised as The Force Awakens was coming out.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Avnger said:
Happyninja42 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
Dont defend it.

Saelune said:

Saelune said:

Didn't even need text.
Going to second this. Hasn't one of the largest complaints against the prequels (other than shoddy writing) been the ridiculous overuse of CGI? The use of practical effects over CGI was praised as The Force Awakens was coming out.
And The Force Awakens still used more CGI than practical effects, especially after they left Jakku.

They've gotten better with the whole thing. Why NOT use more aliens? Heck, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle did good action scenes with man sized puppets!

Are you really gonna sit there and tell me that in the 20 years of special effects development we've made since then, that we can't have alien main characters in these movies because of complexity and cost!?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
Avnger said:
Happyninja42 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Happyninja42 said:
Saelune said:
Dont defend it.

Saelune said:

Saelune said:

Didn't even need text.
And The Force Awakens still used more CGI than practical effects, especially after they left Jakku.

They've gotten better with the whole thing. Why NOT use more aliens? Heck, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle did good action scenes with man sized puppets!

Are you really gonna sit there and tell me that in the 20 years of special effects development we've made since then, that we can't have alien main characters in these movies because of complexity and cost!?
I'm just saying that its odd to hear the use of practical effects being praised then having calls for more big budget all CGI scenes. There is probably a center between straight practical but obtrusive effects and computer generated with its own issues effects. That would take exploration though. This is an annual Disney blockbuster; safe is the key word for production.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
What do I think?
I'm Australian, so I'm seeing it tomorrow with a friend then going back to his place to get shit faced and play video games all night.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
For those who have seen it now, what did they replace the opening crawl and John William's theme with?
"Star Wars" zooms in with the classic intro music and that's it. There's a prologue and the title "Rogue One" shows up.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
For how much the Left gets mocked for needing "Safe Spaces" and having thin skin, Trump supports seem to get awfully butthurt easily about...well....everything.

Although I suppose Trump gets all butthurt from Alec Baldwin's SNL skits so maybe they're just taking a page from their fearless leader?

Whats even funnier is when you realize they don't even know how to protest or boycott. Like the whole Starbucks debacle where Turnip was written instead of Trump and they started buying starbucks just to get the workers to write Trump on the cups. Like its the opposite of a protest and boycott.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So the special snowflakes got all het up about an insult to their "great leader" that didn't actually happen? Well, hopefully now they'll go see the movie to feel better- after all, Trump himself said that the theater should be a "safe place".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
CrazyBlaze said:
Whats even funnier is when you realize they don't even know how to protest or boycott. Like the whole Starbucks debacle where Turnip was written instead of Trump and they started buying starbucks just to get the workers to write Trump on the cups. Like its the opposite of a protest and boycott.
Back in my day, these were the guys who'd buy California wine to dump into the streets on camera because the French didn't want to support the US's post 9/11 military excursions. A decade before that it was the witchcraft-exposing Harry Potter books, and a decade before that it was buying satanic D&D books to burn.

They've never been good at the whole boycott thing.