Dune 2 RTS Now Available for Internet Browsers

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Ah takes me back! Also does anyone remember playing the Original Dune game where you bounced around recruiting fremen and your eyes gradually went more and more blue?

I think I played it on the old 486!
the one where you played as Paul and had to search the desert for seitches(sp? it's been a while lol) I loved that game...still have a copy for Sega CD :D

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Ah takes me back! Also does anyone remember playing the Original Dune game where you bounced around recruiting fremen and your eyes gradually went more and more blue?

Same here. I still play it from time to time. While it doesn't have that much strategy in it, it has a great atmosphere and soundtrack. If you haven't played the CD version, you should. This game deserves way more attention than what it got so far.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Grouchy Imp said:
And yeah, it was bloody needless.
Played both Dune II and Dune 2000. Vehemently hated the former, loved the Second,
Thus it was needed. ^^

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Dune 2 might have been clunkier and somewhat cheesier, but it had been preferred by me mostly because it had a better soundtrack and giving it a Command and Conquer engine didn't really add much to the game aside from group select. It may sound odd preferring the "cheesy" midi over Dune 2000's "awesome sampling" but having Klepacki simply rehash most of his old material with actual instruments made it sound... tired... for lack of a better word.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Do they still have the 'there is a traitor among us - answer questions about a unit or vehicle or else'? Because frankly that was annoyingly awesome. The amount of times I lost the freaking manual to that game is beyond numbers.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I think I still have a copy of Dune II: The Battle for Arrakis on megadrive. My first rts game, and on of the best games ever made.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Hell I still have Dune 2000 installed on my laptop, was playing it just last week. Fantastic series.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Pipotchi said:

I remember it. I was like, 7, when I played a version on DOS, but I remember.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
hell yeah i only started reading the book just recently and i have been meaning to check out the games based on the series.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
wolf thing said:
hell yeah i only started reading the book just recently and i have been meaning to check out the games based on the series.
Then don't bother with Dune II. Its connections to the books are tenuous at best.

Play it because it's an amazing game and look at the genesis of every modern RTS, but don't play it as a story set in the world of the Dune books because it really isn't one.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
FOR THE GLORY OF HOUSE HARKONNEN!!!

I really love the Dune series. Specially the game Emperor: Battle For Dune. One of my favourite RTS's of all time!

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Fearzone said:
Dune 2 was notorious for its bad interface even back then. The lack of unit control groups made it almost impossible to play at later levels, but people managed because it was so unique. You can't really compare it to something like BG which worked fine with its standard UI.

I see this as a novelty and a historical document. For actual gameplay Dune 2000 is recommended, it's almost an identical game with modern conveniences added, like control groups and building queues.
Nonsense on both accounts. Dune 2 was hard yes but far from impossible even at the later stages, you just had to plan more.
Dune 2000 was ok but not really superior, it was more of the same with barely updated graphics.

My personal fav in the series of dune RTS's though was Emperor Battle for Dune. Sure it was waaaay off from cannon but it was a whole lot of fun and really that was all that mattered

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
unstabLized said:
FOR THE GLORY OF HOUSE HARKONNEN!!!
Just give up already. Even with the aid of sardoukar sent by Shaddam you failed.

But yeah, great game, great music, grand-dad of RTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ca4g7mgG8&feature=relmfu

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Kinitawowi said:
wolf thing said:
Then don't bother with Dune II. Its connections to the books are tenuous at best.

Play it because it's an amazing game and look at the genesis of every modern RTS, but don't play it as a story set in the world of the Dune books because it really isn't one.
thank you, ill take that into account. but dont get me wrong i like rts as well. its a shame though the dune univers is pretty cool, id like to see a game that explores it.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Ugh, I feel old now. I remember time when all RTS games were called Dune ripoff.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Vhite said:
Ugh, I feel old now. I remember time when all RTS games were called Dune ripoff.
I remember having pointless arguments with people due to everyone mishearing Dune clone as Doom clone.

Ahhh youth.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Fuckin A!

I was JUST looking for this game (or dune 2000) on steam like... last week.

Hell yeah!

Edit:

There are no unit sound bites... Why aren't their unit sound bites?! I simply MUST hear the 16 bit pew pew to feel truly at home!

Maybe it was Dune 2000 with the sound bites... It's been forever ago... maybe I just don't remember clearly...

Editx2:

Hehehehehe I just made my harvest run over a group of enemy infantry... I miss the good ol days of when you didn't have to hold a button to make that happen.