Dungeon Keeper Mobile Review - Wallet Reaper

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I hate bullshit like this. Even The Simpsons: Tapped Out pissed me off, because the interface seemed designed to get you to accidentally spend the premium currency (also it straight up lost my city, so fuck that game). If there was an option to pay $4-5 and have a way to slowly earn the premium currency I might be down. But stuff like this is way to cynical and obvious in its bullshit.

Keep telling the Truth, Jimothy Truthington Sterlingshrop, which I assume is your full, British name.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
How fucking dare you do this to such a respected I.P, EA. Go fuck yourselves and rest in peace Bullfrog.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
GoddyofAus said:
How fucking dare you do this to such a respected I.P, EA. Go fuck yourselves and rest in peace Bullfrog.
¨

When did you see EA last time respecting their IP portfolio?

Also do what everyone and I have done. Go to GOG and buy the Dungeon Keeper: gold and 2. And then silently plan the way you will crash a 747 up the ass of the person who thought this was a good idea.

But yeah... This is moving to new grounds of disrespecting IP and players.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Oh Mythic how you have fallen.

I still enjoy Dark Age of Camelot from them and the MOBA they were making was fantastic, sadly that ended before the beta finished (although I have a feeling that was more Games Workshop's fault than EAs)

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar isn't that bad either.

But this, ugh. I was in the beta on Android for this and I get the impression Mythic wants to make a great game, but they're just forced by EA to do this kinda thing.
Cuz this kinda thing sadly makes more money it seems than something with effort in it (just look at Candy Crush Saga).

PS. They haven't been known as 'EA Mythic' for a while now.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Can we take a franchise away from a company if they abuse it like this?

Something like a safehouse for great franchises being prostituted out by uncaring corporate idiots?

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
We used to gather around the campfire and tell stories; speak in hushed, near-whispers of the utter horror that existed beyond the veil. We'd laugh, of course, but the apprehension was palpable. We always worried that speaking its name aloud would draw it to us, summon it, somehow.

That was when I was younger, of course. Young and foolish. For years I've told myself that otherworldly horrors don't exist, that the thought of such things should be solely the domain of the idle fantasies of the young. I never imagined how completely, utterly wrong I was. Certainly I never expected to see one for myself. But for all the pomp and bluster the adult mind creates, it cannot eliminate the reality of this terror.

A half-star? Out in the open? Say it ain't so.

OT: I knew this game was disgusting from the outset. Usually, I give games - even The Simpsons: Tapped Out a couple of days and a few plays to grow on me. Some of the weirdest mobile games (like freakin' Flappy Bird) turn out to have an appeal that is completely inexplicable. That was never the case with Dungeon Keeper, though. I didn't even get through the tutorial and it was already gone from my phone. What it is is just disgusting, and anyone who had anything to do with this "game" should be disgusted. Ideally, they shouldn't be allowed to touch another game - especially an old, beloved property - without first proving that they aren't all greedy, heartless bastards.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
That's too bad. Hate to see a good franchise whored out like this. Just hope War for the Overworld is the masterpiece we deserve.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
EA already hard at work trying to win that Golden Poo for the third year running, I see?

At least you've already got a contender for shittiest game of 2014 -_-

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
If this review isn't enough, check out this youtube video by Dan Hardcastle (Nerd[sup]3[/sup]) on this insult that calls itself Dungeon Keeper:

He focuses more on the IAP pricing. In fact I did a little math on the "value" of the difference between prices and gems using the pound sterling prices, and the value difference between the cheapest option and the most expensive option is, I kid you not, a thousandth of a pound, or a tenth of a pence per gem. What kind of "value saving" is that?!? Warehouses give you a better value than that when you buy in larger numbers! sheesh...

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Vie said:
Can we take a franchise away from a company if they abuse it like this?

Something like a safehouse for great franchises being prostituted out by uncaring corporate idiots?
Yeah... EA have already been going around the graveyard with shovels for a while now.
So, we have had Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper, we could also include SimCity since the previous one was also quite old, any others?

And I'm pretty sure they will dredge other old games up and rework them into awful, awful shells of themselves.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
That's fucking awful.
I sentence the 'developers' to an eternity under the tits of a bile demon.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
What's that? Buy Dungeon Keeper? The REAL one? You got it Jim. GOG.com HO!

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
I kina like The Simpsons: Tapped Out and this is the same. Then again I am a veeeeery patient person. Also I never use micro transactions. And yes DK on gog is a gem. Nothing like this.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
One good thing about this is that it introduced me to the original Dungeon Keeper via an article on why shit like this will kill gaming and Nerd3.

So. Much. Fun.