Dungeons and Dragons.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
Hey good for you mate! you should try this site if you can't find people to play nearby: http://www.roleplaymarket.com/, good community and plenty of modules to play from different games (not just D&D). I had to use that in my case, since looks like NOBODY in my city plays D&D, just guys from the capital and andinos.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Takuanuva said:
I have bought all of the core DnD 3.5 edition books I could find. And quite a lot of 3.0 supplements.
...I've never found anyone to play with.
I'd play with you...
I've been meaning to try tabletop RPGs for a while, and my sister set up a D&D campaign for us, but it was really just sitting there, RPing a story, which was fun, but got a little meh, since I'm used to playing RPGs like Oblivion and JRPGs, where action happens sometimes.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
I'd suggest finding some people to play with BEFORE buying all the stuff.

Don't want to spend all that money for nothing.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Takuanuva said:
I have bought all of the core DnD 3.5 edition books I could find. And quite a lot of 3.0 supplements.
...I've never found anyone to play with.
dam you for living in Europe:( id love to play with someone who actually knows what their doing

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
scumofsociety said:
Dark Heresy...I don't like it. The rule system is derived from WHFRP, which I like, but applied to DH and with a fair few additions I really dislike it. As someone else said, the character creation process is a bit complicated, not mind bendingly so but enough to be a bit offputting. One of the things I didn't like about WHFRP V2 was the expansion of "Talents" lots of little rule additions and exceptions that are applied to characters or NPCs etc with those talents, and they expanded them massively for DH. Too many little rules and whatnot to remember. Just generally it feels a bit overly complex and rule heavy.
ace_of_something said:
Dark Heresy is VERY rules heavy with a skill system of hundereds of skills (or it seemed like hundreds) Definitely want the rule book for that.
Huh, wow. Im kinda blown away by people calling it such a complicated system. Stuff like Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun have some complex character creation system. I can tell you theres definitely less than 50 skills (though lots more talents). The leveling system kinda makes knowledge of all but a handful of these skills and talents meaningless. You get 10 new skills and talents available to you each level, often many of them repeats (like improving an existing skill or Weapon training for a new weapon type).

Maybe im just completely underestimating systems. Gah, makes me want to run a game of it, or atleast walk people through character creation...Anyone able to elaborate what they had trouble with/what was confusing about Dark Heresy character creation?

SilverHammerMan said:
I too think that tabletop gaming sounds like fun, but it seems like a very insular thing to me. You've got to learn the rules of each individual game, you've got to get people to play with, buy the game itself.... It seems like a hassle.
You can always player a skype based or post by post game.

lollypopalopicus

Feb 5, 2011
I would recommend Pathfinder. Its similar (and completely interchangeable with) version 3.5 DnD only better and is currently considered to be one of the best systems of running an RPG table top game

lollypopalopicus

Feb 5, 2011
I would recommend Pathfinder. Its similar (and completely interchangeable with) version 3.5 DnD only better and is currently considered to be one of the best systems of running an RPG table top game

Smurfy 0151

Apr 8, 2009
NnyTheV said:
I think I would enjoy Fantasy and SciFi (Not in the same game for obv. reasons, though a blend would be pretty awesome.)
It's a bit more complex, but Shadowrun offers interesting settings and characters relating to both. Elves, Dwarves, etc, placed in futuristic city settings, combining magic with contemporary weaponry. When you get a bit more EXP under your belt (pun TOTALLY intended) check it out.

I started on 4th edition, and havn't had the time to learn others. I host one game a week, and play in two others.

Another thing you might like is Gamma World. It's based on the DND 4th ed game play type, but is very close to post apocalyptic in its nature. Why be a human fighter, or an elf rouge, when you can be a giant cockroach, or a radioactive android (both possible actual combinations)

I sound like I'm trying to upsell here, but Gamma World is my go to when I'm introducing a new player to DND myself. It's really very simple to use, and engaging enough that anyone with a genuine interest won't just put it down and walk away.

Smurfy 0151

Apr 8, 2009
All this being said, I havn't had an opportunity to experience anything other than the 4.0 system as of yet. I've heard friends of mine say that 4.0 is good for learning, but they 'move up' to three five. Some prefer it older editions, some prefer 4.0, and some outright hate 4.0, for whatever reasons.

Experiment, play around, try as much as you can, and choose the one you like best. It's your time and money, do what you like with it.

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
if u go for 3.5 rules (my pref) theres is a really good book called the rules compendium that has all the complicated shit (not that complicated IMO)layed out in clear steps really useful for new players.

nobodysoldier25

Sep 24, 2008
You most definitely need a good DM and even better people to play with. Unfortunately I've never had either of these. My personal experiences involved the ending prematurely because of bickering, a terrible DM, and people just refused to cooperate.

It's really hard to have a good D&D game, but if it happens it's fantastic. At least that's what I've heard.

On another note D&D basically ruined my relationship with one of my friends. He's pretty much addicted to it, and it even caused him to stop hanging out with his friends to go play it.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
I'd say core 4rth editiob books, I like 4rth quite a bit.
And for dicussion I have been playing d&d all my life
but skipped 3rd so I dont' know much about it
went from advanced straight to 4rth.

Of course I suffer from the bane of all d&d players.............. can never get regular sessions on schedual..............

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
kingcom said:
Huh, wow. Im kinda blown away by people calling it such a complicated system. Stuff like Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun have some complex character creation system. I can tell you theres definitely less than 50 skills (though lots more talents). The leveling system kinda makes knowledge of all but a handful of these skills and talents meaningless. You get 10 new skills and talents available to you each level, often many of them repeats (like improving an existing skill or Weapon training for a new weapon type).

Maybe im just completely underestimating systems. Gah, makes me want to run a game of it, or atleast walk people through character creation...Anyone able to elaborate what they had trouble with/what was confusing about Dark Heresy character creation?
I have to go to work now (on Sunday, gah!) but I will gladly do so after work.

EDIT: Or at least I would if I wasn't feeling very lazy, I'll just say the mass of different choices and stuff even before you get off the ground, homeworld and background affecting what type of character you can play, the wierd advancement tables, the myriad of talents and skills that may or may not be open to you depending on which character type you choose. On it's own it might not be too bad but with the rest of it being a bit rule heavy you need to take in quite a lot at once, especially with the talents...look, I just hate the whole system, hate, hate, hate. Too complex by far.

Wieke said:
While the system is quite fun, our group found the lethal nature of the setting quite bothersome. So if you like to role play and get attached to your character, Dark Heresy may not be for you. Though I heard they also have a version called Rogue Trader which may be less lethal.
It isn't any less lethal in a rules system sense, it's just that your characters are much higher level/power.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Are you going to be DMing the game *Dungeon Mastering* or just playing, if you are just playing, the DM will provide EVERYTHING you need, if you are not DMing, then I'm lost.

Try looking in a lot of places to find a group near you, online, game stores *table top stores, don't go into Game Stop and ask to play D&D with someone, though it may work.* Try Book Stores and see if anyone is purchasing a Dungeons and Dragons book, you may find a buddy.
To be honest, try and chase down a game master or a group first before trying it yourself. You do not want to waste all that money, then not find a single soul to go at it with you, or find out you don't like it.
I for one love it, I'm playing in a Fallout D&D game, its awesome. *no, no one can join.*

Rems

May 29, 2011
I'd recommend good old AD&D, none of this feats nonsense or healing surges or what not. Hell they don't even use THAC0 anymore!

D&D also has a lot of different settings such as your perennial Forgotten Realms but also Planescape or(the thinking man's setting) Dark Sun.

There are heaps of other rpg's out there though.

If you like sci fi or 40k then there's Dark Heresy, Deathwatch or Rogue Trader.

If you like vampires, werewolfs etc there's World of Darkness's games like Vampire the Masquerade. It's lovely gothic modern horror.

emptyother

Feb 12, 2008
If you have trouble finding friends who want to play DnD (or any other roleplaying game, for that matter), you always got rpol.net [http://www.rpol.net].
The disadvantage is people disappearing suddenly from the game, or the game just dying when the gm suddenly have real life issues.

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
Just saying, based on some of the earlier replies, that if you want a nice blend of Fantasy and Sci-Fi you could try Spelljammer. Space beholders!

juraigamer

Sep 3, 2008
I would say the following:

If you really want a straight fantasy game, then the Pathfinder RPG is probably the way to go. That said, you can also play a good fantasy game with the dnd 4th edition, but that depends on the group you make.

However, I would say that in terms of flexibility, and wanting to play scifi and such, the Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and the upcoming Black Crusade games are the way to go. Would you believe it's completely possible to have a standard fantasy game with the Dark Heresy game? It is. In all my experience with RPG games, the Dark Heresy series and it's counterparts are probably the most expansive, unique and overall fun games and game systems to play with. Simple enough to start with, and massive potential overall for very unique and complex characters, not to mention how complex combat and non-combat can be!

I would recommend finding your local friendly game store and looking over the books, and talking to the store owner regarding your decision.