Dying Light 2 Gameplay

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy6ne-fEsAw

Looking Excellent. so much better than original.

although I wish they made next Call of Juarez instead or hoping they will make Call of Juarez after that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
B-Cell said:
Looking Excellent. so much better than original.
Interesting, as I thought the first game looked just fine. Gorgeous at times, when the lighting was right, and you were up high looking around.

This is probably the game I'm personally most psyched about of all upcoming titles. I freaking love Dying Light, the single player part that is. Don't care about the online stuff, but the blend of parkour and zombie survival, scratched a gamer itch that I just didn't know I had. Really looking forward to what they do with it going forward.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*Strokes chin with great suspicion*

I sure hope the console releases perform that well. Loved the first, but it didn't do frame-rate so good. And there was no option to turn off the aggressive motion blur. This does have a more acclaimed writer involved however, which should make a noticable difference in narrative quality at least. Hope it turns out alright. Much preferred the original over those Dead Island titles.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
This got me wondering, since I?ve been away from zombie-based games for most of the past decade (or roughly since TLoU anyways): what is the better game between Dead Island and Dying Light? In terms of game design quality, feel of gameplay, fun factor, etc.

Kinda curious to try one or the other.

*edit* well it appears I might like Dying Light more, after reading this [https://steamcommunity.com/app/383150/discussions/0/357287935554315258/] and that [https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/22/why-dying-light-didnt-become-dead-island-2]. Plus this [https://amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/77paav/dying_light_vs_dead_island_what_does_each_game_do/] kinda put it over the top in DL?s favor.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
This got me wondering, since I?ve been away from zombie-based games for most of the past decade (or roughly since TLoU anyways): what is the better game between Dead Island and Dying Light? In terms of game design quality, feel of gameplay, fun factor, etc.

*edit* well it appears I might like Dying Light more, after reading this [https://steamcommunity.com/app/383150/discussions/0/357287935554315258/] and that [https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/22/why-dying-light-didnt-become-dead-island-2]. Plus this [https://amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/77paav/dying_light_vs_dead_island_what_does_each_game_do/] kinda put it over the top in DL?s favor.
Dead island is more like borderland, it's obviously meant to be played in group, you choose one of 4 character with there unique ability and collect plenty of randomly created weapon (resort are well known to contain the equivalent of a small nation armory in gun). The tone is all over the place, with some situation being practically comedy and other attempting to be horror. The location is fun, a resort is not something you see very often in game.

Dying light is more like far cry. It has a stronger focus on parkour and such, you only have one character. You can still level him up with a skill tree, iirc, but its not very interesting and you'll get everything you want really quickly. The story tries to be more serious but it's not very good so this just make it even more glaring how bad it is compared to dead island.

So in conclusion you should play dead rising. I joke, but neither are particularly bad or good, good afternoon entertainment but that's about it, if rental still existed I'd say rent them for one week end.

Direct comparison

Story: DI = DL (both are just bad).
Gameplay: DL > DI, much more variety and parkour keep things interesting.
Environment: DI > DL, DL is just some boring town, it taunt you with some highrise location but never use them for gameplay.
Fun factor: DI > DL, very timid advantages I'd say

Deadguy2322

Jul 22, 2017
hanselthecaretaker said:
Wasn?t E3 almost 3 months ago? It looks pretty fun though.
Gamescom was last week, in Germany, and Techland is European, so they did the reveal there.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:

Haven't played Dying Light. Having solo'd and co-op'd Dead Island I'd say DI aims for a shoot-n-loot multiplayer experience. Meiam's Borderlands comparison is 100% accurate, although I think DI is considerably less grindy, and enemies don't feel as spongy. Also unlike Borderlands the game pretends to take itself seriously now and then, for some baffling reason.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:

I never played Dead Island, but I freaking love Dying Light. The plot isn't superb, but, I mean it's a zombie survival game/story, those are never that complex. They all boil down to "group of random survivors, try and survive, and go out and fight zombies along the way." They try to give the Big Bad a Vass (Farcry 3) vibe, but it doesn't go over well. The villain is the weak link in the story for me, I'll freely admit that. But everything else, the voice acting, the controls, the gameplay, the setting/mood/atmosphere, it all works great for me. The fact that the city is a Middle Eastern city gives it a relatively fresh feel from the typical "America City 127" setting you frequently see in games these days. The motivations of the cast of characters feels legit and realistic, and the main thrust of the story plot, is a good one, with the bit of a flop in the villain category.

It's got humor in it, but that's relegated to the side/optional missions. And some of them are really silly and just goofy fun. But some of the missions to re-establish various infrastructure, can be really tense. Like there is one mission to try and re-establish the powergrid, so they can keep using the UV lights, that the really dangerous undead are allergic to. Problem is, for you to get the power station back online, you have to deal with the issue...at night...which is when all the dangerous zombies come out. And you end up going into a really zombie-dense area to deal with it. You can't see crap because it's night, and if you turn on your flashlight to see, you instantly draw all the zombie attention...which is what you don't want. So you have to either deal with running in the dark, or risking too much danger by zombie attention. And if you complete the mission, then it has a direct impact on the game, as you now have power to a set of lights outside the safe houses you establish around the city, to let you have islands of security from the horde.

Sorry I'm gushing a bit, because Dying Light is seriously one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. It has it's flaws yeah, but it's story is on par with your standard good zombie movie/game, which has never been really in depth to begin with for the genre. The gameplay is fast and engaging, easy to pick up, and fun, with pros and cons to the different tactics you can employ. It rewards thinking cleverly and using the environment to help you deal with threats, and the game just constantly keeps things fun, at least for me anyway.

Also, as another tidbit in Dying Light's favor....my wife loves playing it. And she's not a huge gamer, nor a fan of gross, zombie stuff. But for some reason, whenever I play that game, she gets hooked, and starts up a game of her own. And it sucks her in hard for like several weeks.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Happyninja42 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

I never played Dead Island, but I freaking love Dying Light. The plot isn't superb, but, I mean it's a zombie survival game/story, those are never that complex. They all boil down to "group of random survivors, try and survive, and go out and fight zombies along the way." They try to give the Big Bad a Vass (Farcry 3) vibe, but it doesn't go over well. The villain is the weak link in the story for me, I'll freely admit that. But everything else, the voice acting, the controls, the gameplay, the setting/mood/atmosphere, it all works great for me. The fact that the city is a Middle Eastern city gives it a relatively fresh feel from the typical "America City 127" setting you frequently see in games these days. The motivations of the cast of characters feels legit and realistic, and the main thrust of the story plot, is a good one, with the bit of a flop in the villain category.

It's got humor in it, but that's relegated to the side/optional missions. And some of them are really silly and just goofy fun. But some of the missions to re-establish various infrastructure, can be really tense. Like there is one mission to try and re-establish the powergrid, so they can keep using the UV lights, that the really dangerous undead are allergic to. Problem is, for you to get the power station back online, you have to deal with the issue...at night...which is when all the dangerous zombies come out. And you end up going into a really zombie-dense area to deal with it. You can't see crap because it's night, and if you turn on your flashlight to see, you instantly draw all the zombie attention...which is what you don't want. So you have to either deal with running in the dark, or risking too much danger by zombie attention. And if you complete the mission, then it has a direct impact on the game, as you now have power to a set of lights outside the safe houses you establish around the city, to let you have islands of security from the horde.

Sorry I'm gushing a bit, because Dying Light is seriously one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. It has it's flaws yeah, but it's story is on par with your standard good zombie movie/game, which has never been really in depth to begin with for the genre. The gameplay is fast and engaging, easy to pick up, and fun, with pros and cons to the different tactics you can employ. It rewards thinking cleverly and using the environment to help you deal with threats, and the game just constantly keeps things fun, at least for me anyway.

Also, as another tidbit in Dying Light's favor....my wife loves playing it. And she's not a huge gamer, nor a fan of gross, zombie stuff. But for some reason, whenever I play that game, she gets hooked, and starts up a game of her own. And it sucks her in hard for like several weeks.
Interesting. So as a strictly SP type of gaming experience would you say it has good replay value? I might keep an eye out for it to pick up cheap for some good parkour action. Might be in the mod for that later this fall after a lot of RDR2 and The Witcher 3 time.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Interesting. So as a strictly SP type of gaming experience would you say it has good replay value? I might keep an eye out for it to pick up cheap for some good parkour action. Might be in the mod for that later this fall after a lot of RDR2 and The Witcher 3 time.
Well, I've played through it, and The Following DLC 3 times since I bought it, and I rarely replay games, so yes I would say, based on my personal experience, it has good replay value. :) I still find myself engaged in the story, even though I know how it ends, because the fun of parkouring my way across the ravaged city of Harran is just so much fun. It feels more "real" as to how people would handle a zombie apocalypse, at least on the survivor side. The streets become a death trap, so they learn to parkour, and turn the rooftops into highways to get across in relative safety. The time of day heavily factors into if you will travel or not. The XP rewards for doing stuff at night, are doubled, but that's when all the REALLY nasty undead come out to play. So the risk/reward is a big factor.

The occasional air drops of supplies act as a great lure, to make you maybe risk running for the supplies, and risking being caught out at night, instead of playing it safe and waiting till dawn, when other survivors will have claimed the supplies.

I would definitely pick it up when it's on sale, if you're even remotely interested in the concept, and like parkour games with a focus on stealth and some survival/crafting elements. The combat can be really frustrating early on, as you are a newb fighter, and the weapons you find are trash. And the durability of the weapons can be a bit tedious at first, when they break so easily, but it was never bad enough to make me stop playing the game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Happyninja42 said:

Am in agreement almost entirely here. There's a lot to respect and the DLC was an appreciated evolution from the main game too. They've been supporting it impressively. Just an all round mighty fine bundle. For a zombie game anyway.

It's for the single-player people while Dead Island is most definitely for the multiplayer peoples. And has the protagonist voiced by Chris resident evil's actor, apparently. Redfield? Chris Redfield?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm just hoping the story of the game is more overall optimistic, especially after the ending of the first Dying Light where

You choose to either nuke the city that you spent the entire game trying to help or allowing yourself to turn, resulting in just spreading the virus further.

...and nothing is made better by the player, making the entire game pointless. I hate games and stories in general like that, ones with plots and endings where the efforts of the protagonists and thus the player are either rendered invalid or worse only end up making everything worse by getting involved. I say that even if it results in the protagonists ending up dead, all stories should end up with the efforts of the protagonists leading to an net positive outcome regardless of what happens. The only exception is when the story is specifically about protagonists that are out in out villains to begin with, in which case the worse everything ends up the better.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
I'm just hoping the story of the game is more overall optimistic, especially after the ending of the first Dying Light where

You choose to either nuke the city that you spent the entire game trying to help or allowing yourself to turn, resulting in just spreading the virus further.

...and nothing is made better by the player, making the entire game pointless. I hate games and stories in general like that, ones with plots and endings where the efforts of the protagonists and thus the player are either rendered invalid or worse only end up making everything worse by getting involved. I say that even if it results in the protagonists ending up dead, all stories should end up with the efforts of the protagonists leading to an net positive outcome regardless of what happens. The only exception is when the story is specifically about protagonists that are out in out villains to begin with, in which case the worse everything ends up the better.
I got the impression from the game footage that this was a different city entirely from Harran. I skipped the first bit so maybe they specified the location, but the entire design seemed different. It felt more East European-esque in it's design to me. Honestly, looking at the clothing and body models, and the grime and junk made me think more of that Russian game in the subway systems, whose name I can't recall at the moment. Which if true, would suggest the infection is no longer contained.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Happyninja42 said:
I got the impression from the game footage that this was a different city entirely from Harran. I skipped the first bit so maybe they specified the location, but the entire design seemed different. It felt more East European-esque in it's design to me. Honestly, looking at the clothing and body models, and the grime and junk made me think more of that Russian game in the subway systems, whose name I can't recall at the moment. Which if true, would suggest the infection is no longer contained.
No doubt it isn't contained, they couldn't have a sequel otherwise but whether it's because
Crane got out and infected somewhere else or blew up Harran and the GRE simply decided to continue their twisted little experiments elsewhere
is something we'll just have to find out for ourselves, if they even address it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:

To update my original comment, since I've been playing a lot of Dying Light lately: it's a bigger, better Dead Island in just about every department. I do miss some things out of personal taste, like the analog fight style and the ability to repair broken weaponry. But the game is otherwise such a wonderful all-around improvement that there's little reason to go back.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

To update my original comment, since I've been playing a lot of Dying Light lately: it's a bigger, better Dead Island in just about every department. I do miss some things out of personal taste, like the analog fight style and the ability to repair broken weaponry. But the game is otherwise such a wonderful all-around improvement that there's little reason to go back.
That?s interesting to hear the more you play it the better it?s gotten; especially since your original comment from the other thread [https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1023756-What-games-are-you-playing?page=42#24320944] was literally ?it?s Dead Island? lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

That?s interesting to hear the more you play it the better it?s gotten; especially since your original comment from the other thread [https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1023756-What-games-are-you-playing?page=42#24320944] was literally ?it?s Dead Island? lol.
I still think it's mostly Dead Island with a twist, it's just that the twist makes it so much better. The game keeps throwing mechanics that are both cool and useful. The parkour is fairly versatile the more you upgrade it, you get a super useful grappling hook, I love that you can instantly ragdoll zombies with a well-placed headshot, that you can retrieve the arrows you fire with your bow, the ability to loot corpses for temporary camouflage and also the night cycle that actually makes zombies scary once more. It certainly feels less grindy and repetitive (and buggy) than Dead Island, and the gameplay is constantly evolving.