E3 2010: Paid Premium PlayStation Network Confirmed

lasersandbearsohno

Nov 8, 2009
Jamash said:
bue519 said:
Maybe MS could learn from this model.
I hope not, it's bad enough they've released a shiny black slim 360 with built in Wi-Fi.

I think a subscription for the actual online play is better, because once a company accepts your money for that, they're obligated to ensure that things like matchmaking, latency, connections and other aspects of actual online gaming are up to a certain standard.

Since this PSN subscription has nothing to do with online play, the premium members are only entitled to free, non-premium, "you get what you pay for" standard of online play, so as long as the PSN betas, demos, discounts and game downloads are functioning, they can't complain if it takes 1 hour to find a match which drops the connection after 10 minutes, since that's not what they're paying for.

In a nutshell, it's premium access to a shop, not a gaming service, in my opinion.
True, but to be fair, if the internet service already works, and works well, there isn't a lot of point to tie in internet ability to pay. Sony's free service did the job well, so the place they chose to go with it is more features

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
bue519 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure all Live Gold members already had exclusive demos and betas, and even Silver members get free updates and patches. The only thing new thing I see here is the discounted PSN games.

TheDukester

Aug 2, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
bue519 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure all Live Gold members already had exclusive demos and betas, and even Silver members get free updates and patches. The only thing new thing I see here is the discounted PSN games.
Xbox Live Gold members already get discounts--they might cycle through, but deal of the week discounts games pretty handsomely.

Basically the PS3's major trump card is free online gaming. Xbox has all of this already plus cross game support (can't believe they didn't add this to PSN Subscription!)

killgannon

Jan 19, 2009
Wasn't there talk about the paid service offering cloud storage not long back? That was the only part that made me tempted to be honest.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
TheDukester said:
SilentHunter7 said:
bue519 said:
Xbox Live Gold members already get discounts--they might cycle through, but deal of the week discounts games pretty handsomely.

Basically the PS3's major trump card is free online gaming. Xbox has all of this already plus cross game support (can't believe they didn't add this to PSN Subscription!)
See I was looking at the whole "crazy" idea of free multiplayer. Ooooooohh what a crazy idea. Then again I'm a pc gamer. Also I'm not quite sure what cross gaming support is besides the fact that they can get pwned by PC gamers.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Jamash said:
bue519 said:
I hope not, it's bad enough they've released a shiny black slim 360 with built in Wi-Fi.

I think a subscription for the actual online play is better, because once a company accepts your money for that, they're obligated to ensure that things like matchmaking, latency, connections and other aspects of actual online gaming are up to a certain standard.

Since this PSN subscription has nothing to do with online play, the premium members are only entitled to free, non-premium, "you get what you pay for" standard of online play, so as long as the PSN betas, demos, discounts and game downloads are functioning, they can't complain if it takes 1 hour to find a match which drops the connection after 10 minutes, since that's not what they're paying for.

In a nutshell, it's premium access to a shop, not a gaming service, in my opinion.
Your right you should have to pay fifty bucks to actually enjoy sixty dollar game. No offense but the PC has had free to play multiplayer and you still have a great multiplayer experience. Besides atleast with the PSN you don't have to sign up to a service to have fun, you can if you have cash to burn but if you don't you can still enjoy your games. I mean c'mon who buys MW2 for the singleplayer. And if you do please have yourself seen by a psychologist.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Good work Sony. Free platform for everyone to play online, free content for basic users and optional extras (that actually sound good) for a small yearly fee! I'm all for this! Microsoft could learn a thing or two from this. Paid online does not really increase the service, just Microsoft's wallets. The servers etc are all paid for an run by companies who make the games. I've never experienced slow connection or speeds on PSN. I'll be buying this for sure.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
Outlaw Torn said:
Hopefully Microsoft will learn and make Xbox Live similar to this so that Silver members can actually play online.
That's the problem there. Once Xbox Live follows PSN, Microsoft will lose ALOT of revenue. You know why? We pay to GET online, we don't really care about getting demos earlier or whatever additional shit. Even Gold has to pay for alot of things.

So no, it'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they followed Sony.
It's a shame the whole corporation thing overshadows the fun of free gaming. Although I still laugh at their whole thing when they tried to make PC gamers pay for Games for Windows Live.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
That sounds like a good move on Sony's part.
The people who want to play for free still can, but the people who want a bit more can pay for this.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
bue519 said:
Straying Bullet said:
Outlaw Torn said:
Hopefully Microsoft will learn and make Xbox Live similar to this so that Silver members can actually play online.
That's the problem there. Once Xbox Live follows PSN, Microsoft will lose ALOT of revenue. You know why? We pay to GET online, we don't really care about getting demos earlier or whatever additional shit. Even Gold has to pay for alot of things.

So no, it'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they followed Sony.
It's a shame the whole corporation thing overshadows the fun of free gaming. Although I still laugh at their whole thing when they tried to make PC gamers pay for Games for Windows Live.
Indeed, that was one horrible screw-up. By nature, PC gamers are rebels. They mod, do whatever they want because their system is their own. They upgraded and combined it or purchased for it. Some shitty service that makes you play atop of your games + Internet connection is just outragous. A console is another story. You have simply no other option.
True, but I guess your playing their console so you have to follow their rules. Thank god that MS doesn't control the PC market......yet.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Throw in the bonus that the servers will give you priority (thus incentivizing the online crowd) and I'll throw down the cash.

What's being offered is fine, but better online multi is better

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Jamash said:
bue519 said:

But PSN quality is just as top notch as xbox live. The difference is with Microsoft you have to pay for it.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
I'd be the first to pay for additional online content or bonuses except for one thing: my PS3 is just about loaded to capacity! (and I'm working two jobs, right now...priorities are getting in the way of me and my gaming)

If someone could msg me about how to add memory, I'd be, like, your bestest friend ever! Any kind souls, out there?

I've taken advantage of the PSN every chance I've had, so I'm only to willing to pay up front for some extra bonuses. Maybe Sony can use the extra cash to improve the service even more? Betas and demos are great, I like discounts...this is good news, to me.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Outlaw Torn said:
I wish it was free too but I am sceptical that it would ever happen, at least during the lifespan of the 360, people already accept that they have to pay to use it and do so. The only reason to make it free would be if people made up the loss by buying more games (possible since more people may wish to buy titles that previously they didn't since now they would have access to multiplayer which they were unwilling to pay for) or that it would encourage the sale of more units (less likely as it would only put them on equal footing with PSN's service, I think exclusive titles are more effective when it comes to deciding between two very similar platforms) and then the new user purchasing enough games to make up the loss on the production of the console and to make sacrificing the membership cost from Live worth it.

I mean personally I would be keen to use the service but I wouldn't be buying older games just to use the online feature and being able to play games online free wouldn't dramatically affect my future purchases either.

That being said if they did make it free I would not be complaining at all.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
I'm in...As long as the money goes towards getting the PS3 some good content, not crap like Tester.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Eldarion said:
But PSN quality is just as top notch as xbox live. The difference is with Microsoft you have to pay for it.
Everyone I know who has both PS3 and 360 says the PSN is nowhere near Live. Anyways, not trying to start a fanboy war :p

On topic, I wouldn't pay for this. But then again, companies sell lot's of crap that I never buy, so maybe I'm a bad consumer.