E3 2010: Susan's Five Favorite Games

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3 2010: Susan's Five Favorite Games

What five games featured at E3 did Susan enjoy the most? Read on to find out.

Read Full Article

Steel_crab

Nov 1, 2009
True true - I just found out steam is coming to PS3 - what a great way to end E3 on a high note for me! XD

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Professor Layton? As in the 3rd one? *looks*

Edit- September 20 release. Is that confirmed?

With luck this one will not have as much of a cop-out ending as two did.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Child of Eden, nice choice XD I loved the whole Space Channel 5 thing in there too lol

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Nintendo is #2 because they're releasing... more sequels? Don't get me wrong, I love the big N as much as anyone, but I'm really getting fed up with all the big players releasing almost nothing but sequels.

I'm also extremely wary of Epic Mickey. I haven't seen a lot of it, but casting a character like Mickey Mouse in a dark and 'epic' game just hits all the wrong buttons with me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Nintendo is #2 because they're releasing... more sequels? Don't get me wrong, I love the big N as much as anyone, but I'm really getting fed up with all the big players releasing almost nothing but sequels.

I'm also extremely wary of Epic Mickey. I haven't seen a lot of it, but casting a character like Mickey Mouse in a dark and 'epic' game just hits all the wrong buttons with me.
So something has to be an original IP in order to be exciting? Come now. Take Kirby as an example. Is it a game starring a character who's been in many other games? Well, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that it's well done, fun to play, and has a marvelous aesthetic style. We should hold the fact that it stars Kirby against it?

I understand what you're saying about sequels, but not all sequels are created equal. So long as each one feels fresh or offers us something new to get excited about, does it really matter if we've met the characters before?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:

So something has to be an original IP in order to be exciting? Come now. Take Kirby as an example. Is it a game starring a character who's been in many other games? Well, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that it's well done, fun to play, and has a marvelous aesthetic style. We should hold the fact that it stars Kirby against it?

I understand what you're saying about sequels, but not all sequels are created equal. So long as each one feels fresh or offers us something new to get excited about, does it really matter if we've met the characters before?
Well, yes and no.

I don't mean to say sequels are bad by definition, just that I'm all 'sequeled out' for this E3. I haven't been keeping count, but when it comes to the big names there have been way more sequels than original IP announced. A great sequel is still a great game, but I just can't get excited about it anymore. It's all just stuff we've already seen before, except with some little twist that's supposed to give it a veneer of newness. And they don't even need to try, because the public will gobble it up anyway.

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of sequels that I really want to play as well, and I'm convinced Nintendo will deliver quality games like they've always done. But when pretty much all of the spotlight titles announced by Nintendo, a company often prized for its innovation and originality, are IPs that have existed for decades, I can't help but lose faith a little bit.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Mickey Mouse is one of the most beloved characters of all time, but let's be honest - the guy is a goody-goody. It's hard to imagine him doing anything that even veered towards "naughty" let alone full-on "bad," so it's rather exciting to have a game in which the core trouble is his fault and where not helping his pals is a viable option.
Have you ever watched the early cartoons? I loved Mickey Mouse when he wasn't a 'all-smileys character'. He was bad-ass. Picking up chicks, punching enemies, waving around cats/ Then American moms sued and Disney wielded. Sad times.

Nowadays Disney is a joke, a shell of its former self.

I love your list, altough Nintendo #2 is such a cop out. Cooooooooooooooome on.

Any other interesting, small games? There's gotta be a few more like the Atlus boulder game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sorry, but I'm all gooney for Donkey Kong Country and Kirby. I think they look absolutely super and I'm really looking forward to playing them.

Definitely check out Guilty Party, though.

Apr 28, 2008
Personally I'm most looking forward to Civilization V and Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Civilization because that series has never disappointed me, and is always fun.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 because the other two games were great fun on the Dreamcast. New art style

Hurr Durr Derp said:
Susan Arendt said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:

Well, yes and no.

I don't mean to say sequels are bad by definition, just that I'm all 'sequeled out' for this E3. I haven't been keeping count, but when it comes to the big names there have been way more sequels than original IP announced. A great sequel is still a great game, but I just can't get excited about it anymore. It's all just stuff we've already seen before, except with some little twist that's supposed to give it a veneer of newness. And they don't even need to try, because the public will gobble it up anyway.

Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of sequels that I really want to play as well, and I'm convinced Nintendo will deliver quality games like they've always done. But when pretty much all of the spotlight titles announced by Nintendo, a company often prized for its innovation and originality, are IPs that have existed for decades, I can't help but lose faith a little bit.
Its true that the IP's have existed for decades, but almost every game in those IP's have done something new and interesting.

However I do agree that there are too many sequels. But Nintendo isn't the only culprit.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
1. Less floaty Sackboy will make the platform core easier to get past to fully enjoy the insane user content.

2. [Atlus : "Delightfully weird" :: Peas : __carrots__] is indeed a fine SAT analogy question.

3. mum

4. mmmmum mum

5. Mickey has always been less-than-beloved for me. In the universe where you are either a Beatles man or an Elvis man, I'm on the rabbit side of the Micky Mouse/Bugs Bunny duality. I wish wish wish wish wish that the words you used to describe Epic Mickey could ever be used to describe a Bugs game. I also wish Chuck Jones lived in the cubby at the foot of my bed, but alas, some things are just too fine to ever be made or ever be.

Hope the trip home is/was pleasant. And I'll join your lobby to make the last day of E3, "Journo Reunion at the Go-Cart Track a-la Clerks 2", anytime.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Great picks Susan. You strike me more and more as the Wii target demographic every day! This isn't in any way meant as a degradation of your gaming street cred. Wii games tend to be extremely inventive and unusual in their construction and often shy away from mainstream American gaming culture (read: for men aged 16-25).

Can you not wait for Trine 2 either?! I certainly can't.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Another good read Susan. Though I must admit now I am a little sad I missed the Nintendo Live conference online - then again I haven't played pretty much any/all of their previous games on previous platforms to really be bothered. Oh well.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I definitely agree with you on Rock of The Ages and Child of Eden. Those two will be the one of the few games that I specifically remember from the show. As for the rest of the list...well, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Child of Eden has single handedly sold me an Xbox with Kinect, and I've not even played it.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
This is why I didn't do a top 5 of e3, they are all nintendo games and I don't own a Wii :(

there is nothing coming out for ps3 or xbox which intrigues me.

Why does the Wii need to keep using motion controllers when they aren't necessary/