E3 2010: Valve Goes PS3 With Portal 2

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
AngryMongoose said:
Pandora92 said:
AngryMongoose said:
"You guys are dicks, and your console sucks. You don't deserver to buy our games, go have fun with Gran Turismo: Forever or something. Incidentally, care to buy Portal 2?"
Then don't buy it rofl, I never get the attitude that publishers need to be "entitled" to sell you their games, either buy them or don't.

Also Portal 2 IS still coming out for the 360, I don't get why people think it suddenly isn't, they just wont get Steam support rofl, which might be something to do with Microsoft's more restrictive policies about their online usage.

Oh and the reason for doing this NOW is (apart from the obvious financial benefits) with the release of the Source games for Mac, Valve had to port all the Source games to work perfectly with OpenGL anyway, which was always the problem before with PS3 support.
I don't actually own a PS3, and I'll be getting the PC versioin of Portal2. I just think this sudden turnaround is strange, and will be a PR nightmare.
With most companies then sure, however Valve are notorious trolls and they already have that reputation with anyone in the know, I mean Gabe was still making comments against the PS3 a few weeks ago, this must have been well under way by then, so it was probably just more trolling to through people of the scent lol.

Also I don't know if anyone's posted this yet but:

Portal 2 Gameplay
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THiN8szSKM
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2mZoKkqMw
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlyQmmvj0w

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh thank god. Now maybe people can finally stop complaining about Valve not developing for the PS3.

Eh, who am I kidding?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
They had seriously still better have Portal 2 on the Xbox 360. That's all I'm going to say.
Surely if Valve are trying to make the image that they aren't biased towards one particular console surely both versions of the game should be equally as good on both systems.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Vrex360 said:
They had seriously still better have Portal 2 on the Xbox 360. That's all I'm going to say.
Surely if Valve are trying to make the image that they aren't biased towards one particular console surely both versions of the game should be equally as good on both systems.
As I said earlier they're still obviously developing it for both consoles, most likely they were just saying the PS3 version would be the best because, you know, they were at the Sony conference? Plus it was probably referring to how it will have Steamworks support on the PS3, and probably wont on the 360 (most likely due to Microsoft), the game itself wont be changed.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Pandora92 said:
AngryMongoose said:
Pandora92 said:
AngryMongoose said:
"You guys are dicks, and your console sucks. You don't deserver to buy our games, go have fun with Gran Turismo: Forever or something. Incidentally, care to buy Portal 2?"
Then don't buy it rofl, I never get the attitude that publishers need to be "entitled" to sell you their games, either buy them or don't.

Also Portal 2 IS still coming out for the 360, I don't get why people think it suddenly isn't, they just wont get Steam support rofl, which might be something to do with Microsoft's more restrictive policies about their online usage.

Oh and the reason for doing this NOW is (apart from the obvious financial benefits) with the release of the Source games for Mac, Valve had to port all the Source games to work perfectly with OpenGL anyway, which was always the problem before with PS3 support.
I don't actually own a PS3, and I'll be getting the PC versioin of Portal2. I just think this sudden turnaround is strange, and will be a PR nightmare.
With most companies then sure, however Valve are notorious trolls and they already have that reputation with anyone in the know, I mean Gabe was still making comments against the PS3 a few weeks ago, this must have been well under way by then, so it was probably just more trolling to through people of the scent lol.

Also I don't know if anyone's posted this yet but:

Portal 2 Gameplay
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THiN8szSKM
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2mZoKkqMw
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlyQmmvj0w
you sir have made my day!
Ok, SW:TOR is utter crap compared to Portal 2(and I guarantee you SW:TOR is gonna give Blizzard a run in)
Wow, just wow, just... *mind blown away*... wow

Aaaa what was the topic again? *looks*
OT: After seeing Portal 2 in action I couldn't care less for any other version of the game except the PC one(they are gonna make this the primary version).
But it's good to hear that console gamers are gonna get Portal 2, too.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Yeah it looks absolutely amazing, the foliage looked sweet and the fluid dynamics were awesome!

I do hope they change Wheatley's accent though, it sort of annoyed me. :p

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
ben---neb said:
What an anti-climax. WHERE'S MY HALF LIFE 3? Where? Where? [sub]where?[/sub]

*sits in a small dark corner and cries, rocking vacently back and forth*
They said prior to the event that Episode 3 or HL3 would NOT come up at E3.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Pandora92 said:
Vrex360 said:
As I said earlier they're still obviously developing it for both consoles, most likely they were just saying the PS3 version would be the best because, you know, they were at the Sony conference? Plus it was probably referring to how it will have Steamworks support on the PS3, and probably wont on the 360 (most likely due to Microsoft), the game itself wont be changed.
Oh good, that's a relief.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
chstens said:
ben---neb said:

The way I see it they were gonna have a small pre-E3 press conference to announce this on the 14th, but Sony asked them if they wanted to come along and present it at their official conference, you can't really turned down that kind of audience so Valve said sure, cancelled their original press conference, and then decided to have a little fun with it. The only problem is with the collection of Valve games being as awesome as it is, any time there's any hint of a surprise our excitable internet minds start jumping to conclusions and we get all excited over nothing. :p

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Pandora92 said:
chstens said:
ben---neb said:

The way I see it they were gonna have a small pre-E3 press conference to announce this on the 14th, but Sony asked them if they wanted to come along and present it at their official conference, you can't really turned down that kind of audience so Valve said sure, cancelled their original press conference, and then decided to have a little fun with it. The only problem is with the collection of Valve games being as awesome as it is, any time there's any hint of a surprise our excitable internet minds start jumping to conclusions and we get all excited over nothing. :p
Except more logical people. I knew that there would be no mention of Ep 3 or HL3, and Portal 2 was already announced, hence, nothing for me to get particularily excited about. Sure, I wondered what it could be, but I didn't know WHAT to get excited about, so I didn't have high hopes for it at all. But actual Portal 2 footage is delightful!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Pandora92 said:
Yeah it looks absolutely amazing, the foliage looked sweet and the fluid dynamics were awesome!

Valve have an international vibe to their games, so I doubt the accent will change, also all the voice work is probably finished.

That and I find the personality core adorable.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
ColdStorage said:
Pandora92 said:

Valve have an international vibe to their games, so I doubt the accent will change, also all the voice work is probably finished.

That and I find the personality core adorable.
I'm Scottish, it still annoys me. ^^

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Please tell me this steam will be seperate from the pc steam. I hate you so much right now, valve.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Portal 2 to PS3 is good. But steam makes me a little aprehensive.

I'm not a big fan of Steam, I find it obtrusive. If valve games on PS3 will require things like online activation and the unoptional download of updates I will avoid them.

Hopefully the nature of the console will avoid these things.

If it will focus on the cloud and community access however I will have no complaints.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
This is the best news that I have heard all year! I can't afford a half decent computer, and now I can sleep knowing that I now have access to what could be the greatest sequel of all time! (It's not Half Life 3, but it's still excellent news!)

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Dioxide20 said:
Get ready to hop on the, we pay for our maps that the PC gets for free, and then get none of the updates for our games, train PS3 owners.

thank god I own a decent PC... PC FTW!
That might not necessarily be the case but...

*highfives Dioxide20* I'd get it on PC anyway :D

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
DSK- said:
Dioxide20 said:
Get ready to hop on the, we pay for our maps that the PC gets for free, and then get none of the updates for our games, train PS3 owners.

thank god I own a decent PC... PC FTW!
That might not necessarily be the case but...

*highfives Dioxide20* I'd get it on PC anyway :D
*highfives back*

PC is Valves home, its were they got their start, lets hope they don't forget that.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
Well seeing as they aren't announcing Half Life 3 (Or episode 3 or whatever) we can only assume they are making a game so epic that just revealing it will make every man, woman and child explode.

It better be a full on game aswell and not just an expansion like the other episodes. Its been what, 3 or 4 years?

Anyway I have a PS3 and the idea of Steam on it just makes me insanely happy. Good surprise there valve. I forgive you. X