E3: Cortana Goes Bonkers in Halo 4

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
After Halo 3, it was all to obvious that the gameplay and story segregation were null. Grunts and Hunters were still on the Brutes side, and the Brutes were just outfitted to be Elites.

They're too scared of alienating players from the original enemies, so they keep them and just add new enemies as well.

Korten12 said:
I feel like a lot of people misunderstood the alliance between Elites and Humans. The Elites didn't suddenly: "Oh we were lied tooo, WE LOVE HUMANS NOW!"

"WE LOVE YOU ELITES!"
No one is saying that it's like that, but the war is over they have no reason to fight each other.

And ONI has basically helped the Elites start a civil, and most likely this was exposed and now at war again.
Clarify this.
To undermine any chances of the Elites gainign power and underwining humans, ONI helped fund a radical group that hated the Arbiter, this group was called: Servants of Abiding Truth and they still believe in the Forerunners as gods.

As per description of one of the new covenant guns:

The Type-55 Directed Energy Rifle/Advanced, commonly known as the Storm Rifle, is a Sangheili weapon. Designed by the Lodam Armory in the wake of the Great Schism, the T-55 is a successor to the Type-25 Directed Energy Rifle. The weapon features such modifications as a modular coil set, a high-mounted cooling shroud, and an extended barrel. It saw use during Sangheili civil conflicts following the Human-Covenant War and the Great Schism.[1]

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Korten12 said:
Saviordd1 said:
Wait, forerunners are VERY organic. They're kinda bird like to.

343, if you skullfuck everything we know about the lore just to make a quick buck (Halo reach) I will hunt you down.
Yeah, and also more human like (since they were both created by the Precursors to be similar.)

I just pray 343 doesn't pull: SYNTHETICS VS ORGANICS in this... Halo has never been about that and shouldn't be...
Speaking of 343, is that floating ball with a laser face going to return? I heard a rumor that he would appear in Halo 4 a while back.

OT: I seriously need to read more into Halo's lore.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Shadow flame master said:
Korten12 said:
Saviordd1 said:
Wait, forerunners are VERY organic. They're kinda bird like to.

343, if you skullfuck everything we know about the lore just to make a quick buck (Halo reach) I will hunt you down.
Yeah, and also more human like (since they were both created by the Precursors to be similar.)

I just pray 343 doesn't pull: SYNTHETICS VS ORGANICS in this... Halo has never been about that and shouldn't be...
Speaking of 343, is that floating ball with a laser face going to return? I heard a rumor that he would appear in Halo 4 a while back.

OT: I seriously need to read more into Halo's lore.
As of Primordium he is alive, but he doesn't have a body.

Post Human-Covenant War duplicate

An unknown period of time after the end of the Human-Covenant War, a severely damaged duplicate of Spark was discovered by an ONI research group, who took it aboard their ship. Using an AI translator, the ONI team detected a Covenant language stream within the monitor, suggesting that it may have been in prior contact with the Covenant. After properly calibrating their AI translator, they began to interrogate the duplicate monitor, hoping to gain insight into the ancient human-Forerunner relations and the Didact.[20]

The damaged duplicate, acknowledging the humans as "the true Reclaimers" and claiming that his duty was to eventually testify to Reclaimers when given the opportunity,[21] proceeded to describe the events that led up to his former human self becoming a monitor. Over the course of his narrative, he constantly accessed the ship's information stores, breaching the firewalls without effort, much to the ONI team's dismay. After Spark had finished his story, the monitor finally powered down and was jettisoned into space by order of the ONI team commander. Before this, however, he had successfully managed to upload his data stream into the ship's computers, disabled its AI, and took full control of the ship. Claiming that he knew the Librarian was alive and that he had need for the ship and its crew, Spark put them to sleep and set course to where he believed the Librarian could be found.[22]
This makes me believe that the unknown ship was the UNSC Infinity, and he is who led them to Reqiuem.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Korten12 said:
To undermine any chances of the Elites gainign power and underwining humans, ONI helped fund a radical group that hated the Arbiter, this group was called: Servants of Abiding Truth and they still believe in the Forerunners as gods.
God that is so stupid. Well if it's the excuse that they so desperately need (regardless of whether it's in-game or from the novels) to have the Covenant be enemies again, so be it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
Korten12 said:
God that is so stupid. Well if it's the excuse that they so desperately need (regardless of whether it's in-game or from the novels) to have the Covenant be enemies again, so be it.
Not really... Actually it would be more realistic then: "Yeah were friends now."

Elites aren't a hivemind, they all hated Truth, but not all gave up their beliefs. There isn't a single-entity making all the decesion and they all don't think the same.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Korten12 said:
Elites aren't a hivemind, they all hated Truth, but not all gave up their beliefs. There isn't a single-entity making all the decesion and they all don't think the same.
Sure...But.

What help would they need from humans?
Why would they accept help from humans after all those years of animosity?
Why would humans risk another war, or even helping their enemy after Earth is all that's left?

But whatever, opinions.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
Korten12 said:
Sure...But.

What help would they need from humans?
Why would they accept help from humans after all those years of animosity?
Why would humans risk another war, or even helping their enemy after Earth is all that's left?

But whatever, opinions.
1. Weapons, gears, with the loss of Engineers, Elites don't have much to repair their own technology since they didn't design most of it. Since they neglected to learn themselves, they hit a bit of a snag.

2. ONI and Servants of Abiding Truth had one similar goal, to stop the alliance, they both have their own agenda and they sort of work together so that SOAT could kill the Arbiter and stop any alliance, and then UNSC would basically have reason to go in and kill off the Elites establishing Humanity as the top dog in the galaxy.

3. Earth is not that is all left, there is still many colonies left unscathed by the war.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Korten12 said:
1. Weapons, gears, with the loss of Engineers, Elites don't have much to repair their own technology since they didn't design most of it. Since they neglected to learn themselves, they hit a bit of a snag.
Ok valid point, I had forgotten about the Engineers leaving.

Korten12 said:
2. ONI and Servants of Abiding Truth had one similar goal, to stop the alliance, they both have their own agenda and they sort of work together so that SOAT could kill the Arbiter and stop any alliance, and then UNSC would basically have reason to go in and kill off the Elites establishing Humanity as the top dog in the galaxy.
It seems sound, but something about it reeks of poor writing to me. Not sure what, but I can't think on it now. Until I can argue this, I guess I'm just a hater.

Korten12 said:
3. Earth is not that is all left, there is still many colonies left unscathed by the war.
Not from what I read back in the day, that's why the stakes were supposed to be so high for Halo 2, unless they've decided to retcon that.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
Korten12 said:
Ok valid point, I had forgotten about the Engineers leaving.

Korten12 said:
It seems sound, but something about it reeks of poor writing to me. Not sure what, but I can't think on it now. Until I can argue this, I guess I'm just a hater.

Korten12 said:
Not from what I read back in the day, that's why the stakes were supposed to be so high for Halo 2, unless they've decided to retcon that.
Back on 2. It's more so because they don't want a repeat of the Human-Covenant war, they basically want to make sure that no one can stand up to Humanity. Cliche, but makes a bit of sense.

3. I was wrong, Earth wasn't the last, but there also wasn't many colonies, but after the war there is still colonies just not as many. So if Earth fell, they would have some fallbacks, but they probably wouldn't have been able to continue.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
I thought it looked ok. Nothing special, but still looked fun. I don't what people are freaking out over, just looked like Sierra 117 with robots.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
17,000 people on board Infinity?
Yep, that'll be 17,000 dead guys by the time this game is over...
Lol... You're probably right. Hell a lot of them probably don't survive that insane crash onto the planet.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
Earth was the last "Fortress" world that humanity had. All of the other major worlds they held (such as Reach) had been lost. Plus Earth was a symbol of humanity and that if it was lost, Humanity would fall with it (as there were plenty of colonies left and would have falling into disarray).

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
erttheking said:
Farther than stars said:
erttheking said:
I thought "Saw" proved to us long ago that when confronted with the option to hack off limbs in order to extend out lives, we are perfectly willing to do so. Anyway, it's not my intention to upset anyone; I'm just being frank about my opinion that this plot detail is complete malarky. And the longer the explanations get the more they seem to become filled with plot holes. Think of it what you will, but as far as I'm concerned this is all just contrived nonsense which serves no other purpose than progressing an isolated story arc.
First of all, in the saw movies, practically all but a select few die considering that they "lost" the game. In other words, not all of us have what it takes to hack off a random body part without a second's notice. Secondly, it's a different world of fiction than halo, there are different rules. Third, what's more traumatic, having your leg ripped off or having half of the memories that you ever had in your life being ripped from your mind? If we're using fiction as examples to justify our arguments that its pretty well established in...well just about everything that touches on the subject of the mind that your thoughts being tampered with is a traumatic experience. Evangelion, Star Trek, even Halo touched apron this in the third game, whatever the Gravemind did to Cortana...it messed her up. If you really, REALLY want a different explanation, then I think it's safe to assume that her time spent as the prisoner of the hive mind of a 100,000 year old parasitic race would really screw her up. Then you might want to consider rethinking how you work your statements, "I'll decide what's intriguing" is a very good way of taking someone else's opinion and crushing it underground, because it more or less says "NO YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT!" BTW, just about everything in fiction can be dismissed as "contrived nonsense" Where the Hell did the Combine come from in Half Life 2? They weren't mentioned in Half Life 1, it's all contrived nonsense to get a new enemy in the half life games.
Hey, you're the one who brought up the metaphor of "hacking off limbs" from a source of fiction in the first place. I just made a morbid joke about the concept, is all.
Also, my exact wording was: "I'll decide for myself what I find intriguing or not"; "I find", not "what is". I'm not saying you guys can't find it intriguing, but I personally don't.
And lastly the difference between being contrived and being immersive is the feeling of authenticity that a particular piece of fiction creates. And in this case, as opposed to the Combine in Half-Life 2, I don't buy it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Farther than stars said:
erttheking said:
Farther than stars said:
erttheking said:
I thought "Saw" proved to us long ago that when confronted with the option to hack off limbs in order to extend out lives, we are perfectly willing to do so. Anyway, it's not my intention to upset anyone; I'm just being frank about my opinion that this plot detail is complete malarky. And the longer the explanations get the more they seem to become filled with plot holes. Think of it what you will, but as far as I'm concerned this is all just contrived nonsense which serves no other purpose than progressing an isolated story arc.
First of all, in the saw movies, practically all but a select few die considering that they "lost" the game. In other words, not all of us have what it takes to hack off a random body part without a second's notice. Secondly, it's a different world of fiction than halo, there are different rules. Third, what's more traumatic, having your leg ripped off or having half of the memories that you ever had in your life being ripped from your mind? If we're using fiction as examples to justify our arguments that its pretty well established in...well just about everything that touches on the subject of the mind that your thoughts being tampered with is a traumatic experience. Evangelion, Star Trek, even Halo touched apron this in the third game, whatever the Gravemind did to Cortana...it messed her up. If you really, REALLY want a different explanation, then I think it's safe to assume that her time spent as the prisoner of the hive mind of a 100,000 year old parasitic race would really screw her up. Then you might want to consider rethinking how you work your statements, "I'll decide what's intriguing" is a very good way of taking someone else's opinion and crushing it underground, because it more or less says "NO YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT!" BTW, just about everything in fiction can be dismissed as "contrived nonsense" Where the Hell did the Combine come from in Half Life 2? They weren't mentioned in Half Life 1, it's all contrived nonsense to get a new enemy in the half life games.
Hey, you're the one who brought up the metaphor of "hacking off limbs" from a source of fiction in the first place. I just made a morbid joke about the concept, is all.
Also, my exact wording was: "I'll decide for myself what I find intriguing or not"; "I find", not "what is". I'm not saying you guys can't find it intriguing, but I personally don't.
And lastly the difference between being contrived and being immersive is the feeling of authenticity that a particular piece of fiction creates. And in this case, as opposed to the Combine in Half-Life 2, I don't buy it.
Well it wasn't very funny.
You didn't do a very good job of conveying that.
So a trait about A.I.s that has been established since the early days of Halo and that one person on this website that has education on the field of computers says is accurate is less believable to you than an inter dimensional Empire that comes out of nowhere, somehow conquers Earth in seven hours yet somehow can't deal with a small ragtag resistance group? Whatever you say pal.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
One of the few games I'm genuinely excited to play this fall. I'm glad that some were postponed until 2013, 'cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to pre-order all of them. It'd be a difficult decision, no doubt!

Edit: One thing I'd like to see less of though is the live-action trailers/teasers for upcoming AAA games. I just don't like 'em...

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
What annoys me the most is that they feel they have to redesign the weapons and Chief's armour every game. Apart from that, it seems a bit... bland, also I'm curious about what it's going to be about and where it's going.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Man I can't wait for it. I was very leery of Bungie leaving the series behind but 343i seems to be handling things well.

Still a few residual haters about the Escapist but seems like most have grown up and moved on to other things. If Halo 4 does really well though they'll be right back. The console shooter that moved FPSs from being PC as the main platform to consoles doing well? Escapist fanboys would just haaate that.

Captcha: that's right