E3: EA Wants to Be Indie

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Disappointing lack of Overstrike news is disappointing...
OT: Well at least they're doing stuff with games like Shank, Deathspank, and the Fancy Pants Adventures... So... They're like... 1% indie, I guess.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Lancer873 said:
Disappointing lack of Overstrike news is disappointing...
OT: Well at least they're doing stuff with games like Shank, Deathspank, and the Fancy Pants Adventures... So... They're like... 1% indie, I guess.
They got Fancy Pants Adventures???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And THAT'S why Deathspank doesn't have a demo...

Anyway, I do really make an effort to boycott EA, or at least, games with really obnoxious marketing gimmicks. They're making it easier for me with Origin, so I do thank them for that.

Seriously, they won the "Worst Corporation" award for a reason. People are sick of their bullshit, and this Indie PR nonsense is just more of the same. If they stop fighting with words and start fighting with ACTIONS, maybe I'll forgive them. But Day One DLC, Online Passes, and their HORRENDOUS marketing make me shake my head and thank god that most of their games are crap enough to pass on. Hell, the newest EA game that I bought was Mass Effect 2, and I have no intention of buying 3, OR continuing to buy other games in other EA series.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
EA. Stop. You're just embarrassing yourself now. No matter how much you try, you can never truly be "indie". By definition you can't be indie. You're just using buzzwords to try and get more people to buy your games. No one's buying it, so just stop trying. Quit trying to capitalize on "the latest trend" but worse, like you did with Origin. Just... stop.

I swear, the only reasons they're still in business are Bioware's stuff, which would be better if not for EA's intervention (at least that's what I heard from a friend who's a very big fan of Bioware), Battlefield, another stupid gritty shooter, and the 20 billion sports games that people are buying every year because they're too stupid to realize that it's the same freaking game every single year.

I'm glad I don't buy from them. At this point, they just look ridiculous trying to salvage their reputation and capitalize on the latest stuff at the same time. It's one or the other.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Um, EA, we don't want you to be 'indie', we just want you to stop being 'dick-heads'. Is that so hard?

I'm not normally one to jump on the EA hate train, because I think the whole thing is just silly now, but it really is quite sad that EA apparently is still not getting the (quite simple) message of what they're doing wrong.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Cheeseman Muncher said:
In-de-pend-ent
Adjective: Free from outside control; not depending on another's authority.

In-die
Adjective: 1.(of a pop group or record label) Not belonging to or affiliated with a major record company. 2. (of a movie [or video game]) Not produced by a major studio: "she's landed herself the lead in an indie horror movie".

Someone needs to give EA a dictionary for Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
Technically they ARE independent y'know. They're not owned by a major publisher. Minor details such as them being a major publisher are irrelevant!

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Another day, another clumsy and misguided marketing effort by EA.

There are two possible reasons why they keep doing these:

1, People are incredibly dumb and fall for whatever lies and misinformation EA throws at them..
or
2, EA is run by a collection of lab monkeys in suits, as a social experiment on what would happen if given control over a multi million dollar corporation.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Cat of Doom said:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

I just hope he remembers that actions speak louder then words.
No, that makes things better for EA, not the industry. If EA get's their way everyone would be having multiplayer code DRM shoved down their throats and every game would be a reskinned version of a previous title. EA is BAD for the industry, and TERRIBLE for the consumer.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Syzygy23 said:
Cat of Doom said:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

No, that makes things better for EA, not the industry. If EA get's their way everyone would be having multiplayer code DRM shoved down their throats and every game would be a reskinned version of a previous title. EA is BAD for the industry, and TERRIBLE for the consumer.
But, for EA to improve its reputation, these practices will have to be phased out. One can hope if EA truly cares about its public image, it will realize multiplayer DRM is bad for there rep and for business. Unlikely, Probably. But if EA is at least trying to be better quality of games, service's and maybe even origin will improve, which betters the industry.

But as I said, actions speak louder then words. Lets wait until we see improvement until we judge.

EDIT:

We have already see them try to improve there PR by offering Free, no obligation, publisher deals for indie games. They help with the indie publishing costs and put the game on origin, allowing the indie to direct funds, which would have been spent on publishing, to other projects and they get a prime, but not exclusive spot, on origin. EA receives some good PR, interest from indie gamer's and having more indie games on origin, presumably with price cut deals, will attract more interest to which has thus far been a inferior platform to steam.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
When they bring back the fun little studios like Bullfrog, I'll start to not hate them to the point of wanting to blow up their HQ and tear their heads from the their shoulders with my bare- AHEM, yeah, bring back Bullfrog.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Cat of Doom said:

'We're going to be more like the independants!....

...by rolling out games-as-services-and-not-as-products.'

...not sure if Ricci's trolling or just full of shit...

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Stop trying to defile everything EA! Indie is something you can never be! EVER!
Kargathia said:
Technically they ARE independent y'know. They're not owned by a major publisher. Minor details such as them being a major publisher are irrelevant!
Don't bring your fancy logic into this!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wait....WHAT THE FUCK?! Seriously, you're not even going with Most Wanted 2? I'm speechless. I wanted them to forget about that game because I loved it, and any tampering would ruin it. Dammit.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Why is this like hearing from a serial killer:

"I promise I wont kill anyone again! Now watch me kill some people to prove it!"
Just....ugh/

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Why don't they just buy another dev like all the other times but you know, not give them horrible deadlines and insist that they produce dlc. Sort of like own that studio but do nothing but throw money at it and publish the games. Demanding a financial return is where you stop being "indie".

Tell you the truth, id be happy If EA just burned.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
knight4light said:
need for speed most wanted? didnt i play that on game cube a while back o_O? *checks* yep have it right here. lol
Amusingly, they also tried retconning [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Hot_Pursuit_%282010_video_game%29] the original Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed_III:_Hot_Pursuit], which had a sequel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Hot_Pursuit_2].

Captcha: oh brother. Indeed.

OT: I really wish EA didn't publish games that I like, but to be perfectly honest the only thing that caught my attention was Crysis 3 so I guess I won't have too hard of a time not giving EA all of my money like I did back when Mass Effect 3/Kingdoms of Amalur came out.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
EA, any company that can spend hundreds of millions in order to get a monopoly, as a method of eliminating their competitor's better product is ... fucking retarded if it tries to claim to be indie.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Following in the footsteps of Call of Duty Elite and Ghost Recon Network, Battlefield 3 Premium aims to extend the popular shooter franchise for gamers who'd be willing to spend a bit more money for the sake of more gameplay options and unique vanity items. The digital membership, which is available now, offers new skins, tags, maps, camo kits, 20 new weapons, 10 new vehicles, strategy guides and four new game modes. Completionists can nab the new service for a mere $49.99 per year.
$49.99 per year, or you know just once, as it isn't a subscription service, just a discounted pre-purchase of DLC with some bonuses. I guess if you want to buy it every year EA won't mind.

What can I say, EA Publish some really good games, Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12 for example are two of my most played games of the last six months. FIFA in particular is fantastic and I will definitively pick up another FIFA game in a few years. I can't believe how long I waited to buy one, as I love football games. While BF3 has a few niggles (it really should have universal VOIP built it) there is no other game quite like it outside of Enemy Territory, which is showing its age now.

I am cautiously anticipating the new Sim-City. I'll wait to see what the reviews say though. I might even have a close look at MoH:BrownManShooter because I am sold on Frostbite 2 as an FPS engine, but I'd like to see what someone other than DICE can do with it. I don't think I'll pay retail for it though.

If EA keep selling games I like I'll keep buying them, but there is a reason I didn't buy ME3 on day one. That's the reason I rarely even look at Ubisoft or Gearbox titles for example...

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
Indie! the new industry buzz word!
There is it!

Thats all EA is really try to do. "Hey these Indie games are making a lot of money and the customers seem very receptive to the companies behind them, so lets just start using that word to get some cash out of those magpies."

Ehh whatever EA does their not going to shake their poor image amongst the more hardcore gaming community. Not that I don't think they have anything to worry about, they can pump out some good Triple A games and people will buy them.

If the people at EA feel bad about themselves for being pictured as faceless and soulless at the end of the day they could always remind themselves that at least they aren't Ubisoft.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
EA wants to be Indie:

In all honesty though, if EA wants to use its enormous capital and influence to help get small, worthwhile projects financed and off the ground, more power to them, that's what a good publisher should do. They should see the potential in a game prototype and want to finance it.

Maybe that whole listing crowdfunded projects on Origin sounds positive and all, and if they want to be the publisher that helps spur innovation more power to them. But actions speak louder than words.