E3: EA Wants to Be Indie

Jun 16, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Bradshaw also offered up the chance for the community to name the game's ubiquitous burger joint by texting "simcity" to 44144. Maybe it's time for me to resurrect my family's failed business, Butts' Burgers.
That was one of the funniest things I've read in an Escapist article. Kudos.

pl0x said:
It says here that premium is a yearly subscription... It's not, it's a one time purchase unlike CoD Elite
EA employee?

Arashi500

Sep 19, 2009
Cat of Doom said:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

I just hope he remembers that actions speak louder then words.
I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing. They had to do something, and what they decided on was clearly the wrong way to go, so they're trying to backtrack. I just don't know that anything CAN save EA at this point. As the biggest name, they are expected to spend the most in the publishing of their games, but they're finding it difficult to make that back, so they go to extremes like terrible DMR and forced DLC.

Sidd

Jun 6, 2012
Arashi500 said:
Cat of Doom said:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

I just hope he remembers that actions speak louder then words.
I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing.
Problem is, gamer conscious of these evils are not as many as you seem to think.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
That's one thing EA is VERY good at doing!
I think it unlikely we'll find anyone to dispute that!

James Joseph Emerald said:
EA employee?
I find EA apologist to be far more likely.

Arashi500 said:
I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing.
Well, of course. But that's because they were already focused on driving up monetary figures while streamlining out actual gaming elements and squeezing gamers. This is hardly an excuse.

They had to do something, and what they decided on was clearly the wrong way to go, so they're trying to backtrack.
I don't think they are. This is a public line from a guy who suggested they charge for bullets. They're trying to sell an image.

I just don't know that anything CAN save EA at this point. As the biggest name, they are expected to spend the most in the publishing of their games, but they're finding it difficult to make that back, so they go to extremes like terrible DMR and forced DLC.
Now that's objectively false. EA is making money hand over fist and seeing large returns. Either that, or they're lying to the SEC and their investors. The only thing "forcing" them to use DRM and DLC is a desire to pay their CEOs more and satisfy their stockholders. There is NO trouble on EA's behalf making back returns on their games.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Dear god how did I miss this article...

On a related note: Vladimir Putin wants to be viewed as a humanitarian, and George W. Bush wants to be a scholar.

It's been said already, but fuck it:

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
EA employee?
I find EA apologist to be far more likely.
not really. the dlc really is a one time purchase. It's like buying BF2 special forces or the 1942 expansions way back when, or the BC2 Vietnam expansion. Same strategy, same content. Just because it isn't a comment about how EA epic fails (which they do with high frequency) doesn't mean someone is automatically an EA fanboy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
the doom cannon said:
not really. the dlc really is a one time purchase. It's like buying BF2 special forces or the 1942 expansions way back when, or the BC2 Vietnam expansion. Same strategy, same content. Just because it isn't a comment about how EA epic fails (which they do with high frequency) doesn't mean someone is automatically an EA fanboy.
You're right. Not every non-negative EA comment makes someone a fanboy. That doesn't make specific comments, however, not qualify. Comparing this to BC2 Vietnam seems pretty fanboyish, however.

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
NO! BAD EA!!! You stay away from the indie field. It has so much promise and we don't need you tainting it with your money grubbing ways.