E3 Preview: Assassin's Creed 3 Hands On

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Farther than stars said:
charge52 said:
Farther than stars said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
Farther than stars said:
The eagle's a nice touch; if a little overwritten. Also why do Desmond's forefathers seem to be taking out entire armies in the trailers these days? Not that I'm complaining - it looks cool as hell - but aren't assassins supposed to be precision killers as opposed to full-on tanks?
By the looks of it he was just trying to get to the leader. He cant exactly snipe him off can he?

Besides, when he got there they were retreating. One charge later morale is restored, the enemy lines are broken and hes inside the enemy lines where he can do a lot of damage. I'd say that's pretty succesfull assasinating.
I have to disagree with the terminology there. That's very effective war, but good assassination would be sneaking among the enemy lines in a soldier's outfit, precariously edging towards the commander and then inconspicuously placing a poisoned dart in his neck. That's probably more what the gameplay's going to be like anyway.
The definition of an Assassin is someone who kill politically important figure for money or personal reasons, it has nothing to do with stealth. Stealth is just an option that many assassin's have chosen. It has been noted however, that Connor is more aggressive then most because he feels it is the only way to show his dedication to kill his enemies considering he is half British and half Native American.
Using idealist symbolism to highlight his cause; that's something a soldier does, or a member of a street gang (sometimes also called a "soldier"). But I maintain that such an M.O. does not fit within the parameters of the pragmatic views that pertain to the archetype assassin. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great character, but I just don't think he's a very good "assassin".
Well he killed his enemies and his target without getting hurt. That is very good assassination. He who can and will take down an army to kill his target and succeeds, is an incredible "assassin".

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
charge52 said:
Farther than stars said:
charge52 said:
Farther than stars said:
Farther than stars said:
The eagle's a nice touch; if a little overwritten. Also why do Desmond's forefathers seem to be taking out entire armies in the trailers these days? Not that I'm complaining - it looks cool as hell - but aren't assassins supposed to be precision killers as opposed to full-on tanks?
By the looks of it he was just trying to get to the leader. He cant exactly snipe him off can he?

Besides, when he got there they were retreating. One charge later morale is restored, the enemy lines are broken and hes inside the enemy lines where he can do a lot of damage. I'd say that's pretty succesfull assasinating.
I have to disagree with the terminology there. That's very effective war, but good assassination would be sneaking among the enemy lines in a soldier's outfit, precariously edging towards the commander and then inconspicuously placing a poisoned dart in his neck. That's probably more what the gameplay's going to be like anyway.
The definition of an Assassin is someone who kill politically important figure for money or personal reasons, it has nothing to do with stealth. Stealth is just an option that many assassin's have chosen. It has been noted however, that Connor is more aggressive then most because he feels it is the only way to show his dedication to kill his enemies considering he is half British and half Native American.
Using idealist symbolism to highlight his cause; that's something a soldier does, or a member of a street gang (sometimes also called a "soldier"). But I maintain that such an M.O. does not fit within the parameters of the pragmatic views that pertain to the archetype assassin. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great character, but I just don't think he's a very good "assassin".
Well he killed his enemies and his target without getting hurt. That is very good assassination. He who can and will take down an army to kill his target and succeeds, is an incredible "assassin".
Just killing doesn't make you an assassin. As far as I'm concerned all he's doing in this trailer is being a soldier. A very effective soldier I'll admit, but a soldier nonetheless.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Farther than stars said:
charge52 said:
Farther than stars said:
charge52 said:
Farther than stars said:
Farther than stars said:

Just killing doesn't make you an assassin. As far as I'm concerned all he's doing in this trailer is being a soldier. A very effective soldier I'll admit, but a soldier nonetheless.
An assassin is someone who kills politically important figures for money or personal reasons. Connor killed a British general to whom he was specifically aiming for because he was a Templar and his target. A soldier is someone who fights specifically for one army and aims to kill all the enemies, not a specific one. Connor does not fight for anyone, only for the assassin mission. Considering Connor successfully killed his target, he is a successful assassin. That is what separates a soldier from an assassin, a soldier kills all the enemies to win a battle or a war. An assassin fights and kills enemies to get to the one target, and kill him.

May 29, 2011
Farther than stars said:
Farther than stars said:

I think you're missing the point of the assasination. He could have done that and it would have been a huge blow to the enemy, but what do you think is going to affect morale more, completely ignoring the line of defense, bursting in, slaughtering a good 20 soldiers before jumping off the ground and shooting him from 15 meters away with an arrow, or sneaking in and sticking a dart to his neck? It was flashy and unnecessarily risky but that was sort of the point.