E3 Preview: Borderlands 2

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
E3 Preview: Borderlands 2

An old, but perfected recipe for loot-grinding.

Read Full Article

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That's okay. I don't want too much added to it. The first one was pretty engrossing.
Unfortunately the Loot Chest edition is sold out, I was planning on getting that. At least I'll still get the bobblehead.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Really, as long as the ending isn't as dissapointing as the first, and maybe some more relevant NPCs, I'll be happy with this game.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
That game... I have a love/hate relationship with the first one as is! I've a soft spot for finding loot, which I sometimes refer to as CLD (chronic looting disorder) and this game gives me hope that I'll find even more, and better, loot!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
I'm just hoping there will be some more variety to the active skills than in Borderlands 1.
I never got why people seem to like actives more than passives, I guess actives are usually a "cool" move or really powerful attack but it just takes out 1 group or enemy at a time ... a passive will help you take out every enemy you will ever meet.

More on topic. Kind of glad that it is pretty much more of the same! I think it's what people wanted from another loot fest game that recently came out but apparently had way too much change from the second one.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it and I don't think the first was that bad ... just needed some polish and more verity.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
omega 616 said:
I never got why people seem to like actives more than passives, I guess actives are usually a "cool" move or really powerful attack but it just takes out 1 group or enemy at a time ... a passive will help you take out every enemy you will ever meet.
Because Actives are what really separated your character class from the others.

Passive effects are great, but 1-Active Per Class became very monotonous very quickly.
For example, using pure-passives: There wasn't much of a difference between my Rocket Soldier and my Rocket Brick even when both were spec'd out for their respective roles.

At least a couple of more actives per class would help. At least.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
omega 616 said:
Because Actives are what really separated your character class from the others.

Passive effects are great, but 1-Active Per Class became very monotonous very quickly.
For example, using pure-passives: There wasn't much of a difference between my Rocket Soldier and my Rocket Brick even when both were spec'd out for their respective roles.

At least a couple of more actives per class would help. At least.
I'm not saying another active or 2 would hurt but passives are far superior.

I have never played as brick but I love Roland (full homo) and after using this
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31000000055055555555015
it seems there is a massive difference between rocket Brick and Roland.

Brick has 3 skills that directly help with rocket launchers, Roland has none.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
omega 616 said:
I'm not saying another active or 2 would hurt but passives are far superior.
That's all I'm asking for. Not Diablo 2 levels of active skills, but something more than just "Here's your skill. Hope you actually plan on using it".

I have never played as brick but I love Roland (full homo) and after using this
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31000000055055555555015
it seems there is a massive difference between rocket Brick and Roland.

Brick has 3 skills that directly help with rocket launchers, Roland has none.
Not so, in practice.

Roland effectively has infinite ammo with Rocket Launchers from an early level (you always get the Support Gunner Class Mod for free on first playthrough) and he does get +15% damage from Impact. Equal to Brick's damage buff.

(Impact applies to all non-melee weapons, not just bullets. I've tested this. Unsure if this is a glitch or intentional, but given how many skills were glitched/bugged or flat out non-functional on launch, I cannot guess.

Incidentally, Siren gets a similar benefit from High Velocity which in addition to increasing damage, also doubles the shot velocity of all projectiles at max level. Notable for working with all Eridian Weaponry including the rocket launcher variant. It makes Eridian Weapons not only usable, but actually pretty good!)

Brick has ammo problems with Launchers for a very long time (it's his last skill, Blaster Master, and it only regenerates more than a couple of rockets per activation at the max skill level, so effectively level 29-30 he finally overcomes that problem).

This is important because Roland can build his proficiency with Rocket Launchers at will.
And that makes a significant impact on his damage over time; easily keeping pace with Brick's passive damage and reload buffs.

You *eventually* see significant differences between the two in late-game but until then, they aren't terribly different.

(you *can* fix Brick's Ammo problem by playing co-op with a Support Gunner Roland, since the Ammo-regen applies to his entire team, but I make no assumptions for relying on other people)

EDIT:
If you're curious, I usually do my Solo Blaster Roland like this for (Playthrough 1)
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01500000050505000500000

Co-op "Doc Wagon" Roland (Playthrough 1)
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01500000000000000505055

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
That's all I wanted really, thanks for not ruining this franchise Gearbox!

More interesting environments, new guns, new characters, new enemies, same Borderlands style shoot n loot. Count me in!

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
The only thing I'm hoping for is far more enemies to shoot at and a FAR, FAR higher difficulty. My friend and I could just watltz through the game far to easily.. I can see the sequel becoming awesome if they took that into account.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so does the game still give the option to play solo? because then everything should be possible to do solo. or maybe that was just because i guy who uses stealth, sniper rifles and a sword sounds like the least likely class to take on enemies head on.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Me and my brother are getting this on the day and playing untill we finish as a co-op duo.
It is going to be GRAND!!!
We did the same thing with the first as roland and the chick and it was one of the funnest few days I've had.
Can't wait.

SeatedSkeleton

Sep 8, 2011
i got the impression that the increase in difficulty didn't go away after the coop partner logged out. maybe player 2 was still logged in but not doing anything. either way, i expect it will work hte same as the first one with scaling difficulty with more players.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Shynobee said:
Really, as long as the ending isn't as dissapointing as the first, and maybe some more relevant NPCs, I'll be happy with this game.
Agreed. The ending was the only thing really wrong with the first Borderlands. Not to say the rest was perfect, but the ending was the only thing that stuck out as needing fixing.

I've already pre-ordered and looking forward to having a barrel-of-laughs with my boyfriend all over again. He used the first Borderlands to convince me that shooters can be really fun (I had a bit of an aversion to them before), then regretted letting me have Mordecai once I had a few points in Bird of Prey. I swear, that skill is to kill-stealing what petrol is to a camp-fire.