E3 Preview: Dead Space 3

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Having long abandoned hope of the Dead Space series becoming a true horror game that only the blue-blooded could take on without regular visits to the toilet, i cannot wait for this to come out.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
If I may borrow a phrase from Spoony:

BETRAYAL!! BE-TRAYAL!! BETRAYED ME! This game SUUUUUCKS!!!

What is with third installments these days?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I really like the way that they're handling co-op. It's nice to know that if I want to go it alone, I can. No AI following me around and running into walls every time a fight breaks out. As for the lack of horror in the demo, that was addressed in an interview.

The devs said that horror sequences don't demo well, so they picked one of the more action-y sequences. Obviously I'm still not entirely convinced, but I've moved from upset-and-angry to cautiously optimistic.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked the first game a lot, but I wasn't interested in the second game and this new installment certainly looks very different from the first game, still, I'll keep an eye if it turns out decent enough to play it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I don't think Iassac really rescued Ellie in DS2...in fact he almost indirectly got her killed

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
I really like the way that they're handling co-op. It's nice to know that if I want to go it alone, I can. No AI following me around and running into walls every time a fight breaks out. As for the lack of horror in the demo, that was addressed in an interview.

The devs said that horror sequences don't demo well, so they picked one of the more action-y sequences. Obviously I'm still not entirely convinced, but I've moved from upset-and-angry to cautiously optimistic.
what bothers me is why couldn't they use Ellie as part of the co-op? I mean its not like this new guy wont be somthing weve seen a million times before (and Im confident enough to say that with hardly watching or readign anything)

but I know....don't want to confuse the lowest common denomiator and make them play AS A GURL! lest they catch [b/]teh gay[/b]

I gave up on dead space being scary in the first game, but it still had somthing unique to it amid all this COD BS I just hope it doesnt lose that

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Some nifty visuals, especially weird armours and generally a grimier look. But also actual human enemies, not just as story-antagonists? Holding two weapons at once? Cover mechanics? Online coop? So much for what little scariness remained.

Quite honestly, the thing I'm most curious about is the story, stupid as that may sound considering what game series we're talking about. But I really want to find out more about the "original necromorph aliens", whom that super-reanimator is supposedly a replica of.

Am I the only one who hears "body-twisting aliens" and "icy wasteland" and thinks "The Thing", even more so than in the previous installments?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Isaac Clarke is back...
Oh humanity...
For f*cks sake, developers should give this guy a rest he deserves. I understand that life of space engineer is not an easy one, and that with high salary (without any doubt) comes a great responsibility, but come on !

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Isaac Clarke is back...
Oh humanity...
For f*cks sake, developers should give this guy a rest he deserves. I understand that life of space engineer is not an easy one, and that with high salary (without any doubt) comes a great responsibility, but come on !
He's not an engineer anymore, he was pretty much fired after the first game, now he does it because he wants to.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Vault101 said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

what bothers me is why couldn't they use Ellie as part of the co-op? I mean its not like this new guy wont be somthing weve seen a million times before (and Im confident enough to say that with hardly watching or readign anything)

but I know....don't want to confuse the lowest common denomiator and make them play AS A GURL! lest they catch [b/]teh gay[/b]

I gave up on dead space being scary in the first game, but it still had somthing unique to it amid all this COD BS I just hope it doesnt lose that
I'm not sure. I agree that Ellie would have been a better choice, but maybe they didn't use her for story reasons? We don't really know enough about the story yet to really know.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Skeleon said:
Quite honestly, the thing I'm most curious about is the story, stupid as that may sound considering what game series we're talking about. But I really want to find out more about the "original necromorph aliens", whom that super-reanimator is supposedly a replica of.
I don't think thats so silly, its standard sci fi thriller fare, not that bad, and I've kind of grown attatched to Issac purely because of all the shit he's gone through
dogstile said:
He's not an engineer anymore, he was pretty much fired after the first game, now he does it because he wants to.
I don't think he really has a choice in the matter...the universe hates him

he now does engineering in his spare time
ZeZZZZevy said:
I'm not sure. I agree that Ellie would have been a better choice, but maybe they didn't use her for story reasons? We don't really know enough about the story yet to really know.
I think co-op with Ellie would have been more awsome than anything with this guy..BUT yeah I know what your saying...I just hope whatever they do is worth it

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I always got disappointing when i'm about to fight a massive boss and its basically just "Shoot the yellow blobs" Why didn't they incorporate the dismember mechanic into the bigger battles too, it'd be just like with the other Necro's but grander in scale.

I'll get the game because im interested in the lore but other than that sounds like this will be a forgettable experiance

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
So the horror was never really top notch, even in the first game, but there were always two areas where Dead Space set itself apart: delightfully warped monster design and some viscerally fun to use weapons.

It's too early to tell, but I worry that both of those might be getting phased out. It looks like we're getting more human opponents, which bothers me a bit. Humans are boring, ESPECIALLY compared to grotesque slavering killbeasts. It also looks like the arsenal in Dead Space 3 is going to include more straight up guns which I don't know if I like. I just don't see how an assault rifle can compare to a weapon that fires 2 foot long titanium spikes that pin monsters to walls and can then be electrified and exploded.

I haven't given up on Dead Space 3, there's still plenty of ways for things to go right and there's still enough mystery left in the franchise to make me genuinely curious about how it's going to end. But let's just say I'm not as optimistic as I feel I could be.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Hopefully DS3 will contain less "your-mum-will-hate-it" commercials :(

So, instead of Ellie, we get tacked on jarhead character for coop?
Great, because I almost forgot what EA did to Mass Effect.
Thank you EA for reminding me that you still suck.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Vault101 said:

I pretty much agree with everything here, seeing as Ellie proved to be one of the only DESIGNATED ROMANCE CHARACTERs that I've thought was done well for quite a while. My biggest fear after seeing the first half of the trailer was that they were going to pull a
Newt
and kill her off within the first thirty seconds of the game. I suppose I should count my victories and be happy she's in the game at all. The idea
of not having to deal with Genericsoldier McBleedstestosterone in single player is very nice though. On a different note, the upside of Ellie not being the co-op character is that there's little to no chance of a Sheva situation. (ie no "LOOK AT MY CLEAVAGE" stuff. I wouldn't have put it past Visceral at this point honestly...)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
alfawx said:
I pretty much agree with everything here, seeing as Ellie proved to be one of the only DESIGNATED ROMANCE CHARACTERs that I've thought was done well for quite a while. My biggest fear after seeing the first half of the trailer was that they were going to pull a
Newt
and kill her off within the first thirty seconds of the game. I suppose I should count my victories and be happy she's in the game at all. The idea
Ellie isnt a roamnce charachter...since when do her an issac ever show any hints of romance? (and he really wasnt in the best state of mind for that kind of thing)

mabye its a possability in D3 but I'm not calling it untill it happens

and I don't mean to single you out but its kind of disconcerting that any female charachter put in with a male charachter is automatically singled out as a romance charachter

[quote/]of not having to deal with Genericsoldier McBleedstestosterone in single player is very nice though. On a different note, the upside of Ellie not being the co-op character is that there's little to no chance of a Sheva situation. (ie no "LOOK AT MY CLEAVAGE" stuff. I wouldn't have put it past Visceral at this point honestly...)[/quote]

really?...I don't think thats a big enough "upside"..just going by the few female charachters they arnt the "cleavage kind"....(ok 3/4 are trying to screw you over...especially that ***** Kendra)

but everything aside I agree...I worred they were going to do that too, it would be kind of cheap

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Vault101 said:
Ellie isnt a roamnce charachter...since when do her an issac ever show any hints of romance? (and he really wasnt in the best state of mind for that kind of thing)

mabye its a possability in D3 but I'm not calling it untill it happens

and I don't mean to single you out but its kind of disconcerting that any female charachter put in with a male charachter is automatically singled out as a romance charachter
Yeah, that's my bad. I think my annoyance from seeing the original trailer sorta clouded my memory, and since Isaac was running around yelling Ellie's name I started drawing parallels to Nicole from the first game. Honestly though, now that you mention it I hope they don't go down the romance route with Ellie, assuming she functions as anything but the ambiguous goal (Nicole again) throughout the game. It's always nice to see female characters who can both get things done and not have an obligatory romance with the hero, or supporting character if they're the protagonist, but unfortunately they seem to be few and far between in most games... (Also on that tangent, notice how Claire and Jill seem to be completely absent from RE6, if you're at all interested in the series.) Actually, come to think of it, it seems like Nicole is basically the what not to do for female characters with Ellie being the opposite. Although I guess Nicole seemed fairly competent in the one time you see her subduing a patient in a video feed in the first game, but still, I'm hoping Ellie remains... Ellie in the third game.

really?...I don't think thats a big enough "upside"..just going by the few female charachters they arnt the "cleavage kind"....(ok 3/4 are trying to screw you over...especially that ***** Kendra)

but everything aside I agree...I worred they were going to do that too, it would be kind of cheap
Kendra. Oh god Kendra. Anyway, yeah, I was actually kind of happy about the announcement of co-op because of the idea of developing Ellie as a character. And then I heard that it wasn't Ellie. And there wasn't any split screen on consoles. And I was no longer happy. I suppose we can just cross our fingers and hope that she still gets a fairly big role. They might do it, I mean they managed to pull off a rail shooter on the Wii and give it a decent story, so who knows? I'll just hope for the best.