E3 Preview: SimCity (2013)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
As strong as the single player is in this game, I'm really intrigued how this co-operative multiplayer aspect is going to play out.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Can't wait!

A bit skeptical on the road vs zoning item. Zoning is what makes or breaks a city >_<
Mmmmmmmmm I think I'm going to play SC4 tonight.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
The Glassbox engine sounds like an interesting new take on city-simulation. However, I highly doubt the game will be able to rival the amount of content released by the innovative SC4 modding community that has been active since 2003. That's nine years' worth of content, and they're still going strong.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
In terms of city simulations we have also had the awful Cities XL and DRM hobbled, DLC'd to death Anno 2070 to tide us over as well.

I just hope they don't pull another Spore and make the game way more limited than what the preview promises.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
The zoning change makes a lot of sense actually - Whenever I played Sim City 4 and I zoned up, I'd always suffer from massive congestion issues until I upgraded the roads too, and if I tried to upgrade the roads beforehand I'd be admonished by my advisory for incurring unnecessary costs. This sounds like a very intelligent streamlining decision to me, not to get hung up on the details too much though.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Yep I've lost interest.
Origin, always online, no modding.
I'm out.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Frankster said:
Anyways looking forward to finally playing a new sim city, been so long that....ALWAYS ONLINE???
Eugh.... Well nevermind my enthusiasm then, guess won't be playing this after all. Shame :\
+1.

From time to time, I considered multiplayer Sim City, then quickly realize that was a bad idea.

My city. My world. Get off my lawn.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Sim City is what made me a gamer, way back with Sim City on the SNES.

Their comment about the zones being tied to street sizes makes me...nervous. While that specific detail alone is probably innocent enough... it may reflect a design philosophy that assumes too much on the player's behalf.

I want to be able to make mistakes. I want to be able to fail at my first city without deliberately trying to fail. I also want to have full creative control. Maybe, in my grander design plans, I want a highway going through a remote region and want to throw down some low density housing to add some color. Don't assume that just because I have a highway I want apartment towers.

The multiplayer aspect makes me...hesitant as well. I'm catching a faint waft of Zynga, where you need to have active and moderately skilled friends to be your neighbors if you want your own city to do well. All this online stuff points at little to no modibility. After they banned players who modded their Mass Effect 3 games just for some quality-of-life fixes to the single player that had no impact on multiplayer... I don't see any reason why this version would be anywhere near as modable as Sim City 4.

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
Initial reaction: Awesome, I always loved Simcity. There's some great potential here.

Wait, I have to be always online to play SIMCITY? A game which has before always been completely single player?

Fuck you, EA. And fuck you to everyone who bought Diablo 3.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Another completely ruined franchise ... atleast EA is consistant. I love Simcity, and even if they do it right. I just can't get past the fact that every encounter I've had with that company in the past decade has been a major waste of time and money.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Hey, I actually liked sim city societies.

Yeah, fuck you, general oppenion. Fuck you to hell.
[small]And I don't need to always be connected to the internet to play it...[/small]

But seriously, wtf EA? permanet for a game that will be used mostly by a single player driven community? Dafuq?

Manthraxx

Nov 11, 2009
This is the kind of game you'd crack to get a better experience... always-online is useless!

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Frankster said:
^ Origins is EVERY bit as bad as people make it out to be. That's my experience of it for what it's worth, and if not for me genuinely enjoying me3 multi, i'd have uninstalled the useless garbage ages ago. Have tried a fair amount of dd services before this (steam, impulse, gog, d2d, oh yeh i've been around) and origins has been the absolute worst in every domain possible.
Frankly I've never run into any problems with it. In terms go giving me access to my games when I want it's even better than Steam (none of that "game is not available" crap that Steam sometimes pulls). Also get the best download speeds compared to other services. I don't mind it at all.

Also, doing zoning by street size is completely stupid. Highways and large roads are the death of proper urban environments. Hoping they will put subways in.

That said I'm not going to deal with always-on DRM so this is a pass for me.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
This looks like it has the mechanics we've wanted for a long time.
Then suddenly: You HAVE to be online to play - What is that about?!

I'm going to just cross my fingers and hope it all turns out alright.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
kortin said:
nikki191 said:
always on.. yep another one for me to skip.

hope its good for you guys who want it
It's the way of the future. Deal with it or get out.
I hate to be hyperbolic but that's the same thing people have said to African American's before, during, and after the Civil Rights movement.

"If you don't like it go back to Africa."

That's a remarkably stupid outlook on just about anything.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Do I break the boycott for one of my favorite games that I've poured countless hours into?

ALWAYS ON DRM?