E3: South Park Needs a Savior, and It's You

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3: South Park Needs a Savior, and It's You

Unless you're Jewish.

The peaceful mountain village of South Park is burning. War is upon its people. The school is destroyed. When the call for a savior comes, young would-be hero Kyle Broflovski steps forward. His erstwhile companion Eric Cartman stares at him. "Jews can't be saviors."

So yes, South Park: The Stick of Truth is going to be very much like the South Park you know - crass, irreverent, and hilarious. Series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker took the stage at Microsoft's E3 2012 conference and spoke a bit about the game (and poked a little fun at Microsoft as well).

Developed by Obsidian, The Stick of Truth puts the players in the shoes of a new kid who has just moved to South Park and tries to become the fifth member of the core foursome. Possessing a special power, your new kid - who will be fully customizable in the trademark South Park look - must join Kyle, Stan, Cartman and Kenny to save the town.

One of the difficulties, said Parker and Stone, was that in the 15 years of making South Park they'd never once mapped out the town. So when the game called for the player to go from Kyle's house to the school, they had to draw maps of South Park from scratch.

The Stick of Truth will bring back crab people, Jesus, the marauding Mongolians, and the boys' anime-esque ninja alter egos among other fan favorites. Attacks will include lit farts.

It was also the single best part of Microsoft's E3 conference. Don't deny it, you know it's true.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Best part of the show. I can only imagine the level of damage control Microsoft went into when they completely shit on how bad the whole "have to connect everything HURRDURR" thing is.

You are there to present us games Microsoft, not pay usher to dance like a monkey for 5 minutes.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
John Funk said:
One of the difficulties, said Parker and Stone, was that in the 15 years of making South Park they'd never once mapped out the town. So when the game called for the player to go from Kyle's house to the school, they had to draw maps of South Park from scratch.
From scratch? They should've had at least a few past sources to draw from, namely the episodes Mecha-Streisand and Pandemic 2: The Startling, as well as the movie and the 1998 game. They may never have mapped out the whole town, but they've shown quite large chunks of it at once a number of times.

P.S. Thanks

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Hmm, not interested in it if it's just "hey look at all these jokes we've done". If the gameplay is good and there are some funny and original set pieces, then maybe.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
ravenshrike said:
It had better be on either the PS3 or PC as well or somebody's getting kicked in the nuts.
It will be on PC and PS3 as well but 360 players will get additional DLC because they are willing to suckle M$'s bloated boil ridden festering teat.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I saw the logo in the bottom right corner of the box and read it 'TrlQ'. I will never not see that logo that way now.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
This was the bets part of the show. Don't get me wrong, they surprised me by making me excited for Halo, but this was actually great. Star of their show.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
It would be cool if this turned out to be a good game; but lets face it, the gameplay will suck balls.

Mindless1

Feb 29, 2012
I really did dig South Park for the 64. Don't know if we're going to get the cow launcher or pirahna gun, but we can only hope to have to slaughter some big gay clones. (Not being a phobe, just quoting a game.)

Any ideas of bosses? Like Mecha Mr Hat?

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Covarr said:
From scratch? They should've had at least a few past sources to draw from, namely the episodes Mecha-Streisand and Pandemic 2: The Startling, as well as the movie and the 1998 game. They may never have mapped out the whole town, but they've shown quite large chunks of it at once a number of times.
I'm willing to bet that they've also changed around the layout of the town to fit whatever's most convenient to the current episode. I know that The Simpsons has had Moe's Tavern about 3 doors down from the Simpsons' house one episode, and right next to the church in another.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Is this going to be a full retail release or an XBLA title? I'm looking forward to it but I'm not sure I'm "full retail price" looking forward to it.
As far as the information released a couple months ago, it is set to be a full retail AAA.