E3: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
I've been waiting for a game like this since I first started 40k...

If I can play as a techmarine (even if its just a basic one) I'll be over the frakking moon.
They've mentioned that multiplayer has a few classes, and that concole only mini-game KillTeam (or was it Death Watch, I can't remember) has a techmarine class...

Eitherway, I am really, really, really looking forwards to this game...

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
For the Power of the IMPERIUM none shall Survive.

If anyone thinks 40k is a rip-off of gears is an idiot. (with all due respect [very little])

Just look at the age of the universe and you will see which is the rip-off
Just look at halo, and haze, and Starcraft, and Fallout (the brotherhood and the Enclave), Unreal... Okay I need to stop before I waste my day. Also if anyone wishes to add anything I am sure you can think of some.

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
ivansnick said:
For the Power of the IMPERIUM none shall Survive.

If anyone thinks 40k is a rip-off of gears is an idiot. (with all due respect [very little])

Just look at the age of the universe and you will see which is the rip-off
Just look at halo, and haze, and Starcraft, and Fallout (the brotherhood and the Enclave), Unreal... Okay I need to stop before I waste my day. Also if anyone wishes to add anything I am sure you can think of some.
Unreal?
What the heck has Unreal ripped off of Wh40k?

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Major Tom said:
Tarkand said:
Also a game with the Blood Angel Company would suck if you tried to tell any kind of story with it...

DC Member 1: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR SMASH!
DC Membmer 2: BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!
DC Member 3: Rawr?
It'll be more like:
DC Member 1: Traitor! I name you Traitor!
DC member 2: Dorn, The Emperor has commanded up to board the Traitor's ship with him.

and a half a dozen others reenacting the Battle for Terra, where they are all Sanguinius.

That gave me an idea. Play as a Blood Angel (tactical, devestator, whatever. Works for all classes), but the point is to keep the rage meter down. If you trigger the rage meter, you go into a berserk rage and can really rip shit up......but the longer you stay in rage mode, your grip on reality becomes less and less and the screen starts merging in and out of reality and the bridge of Horus's Battle Barge and all the actors on screen, friend and foe, transform into traitor marines, you must illuminate them all....

Though I'm looking forward to this game. it looks right, it sounds right, and so far it doesn't look to have sacrificed too much of the fluff for gameplay mechanics reasons. I hope there's a demo of it though. Publishers seem to have forgotten what a demo is for. I mean, how useless is the DNF demo if you need to have pre-ordered in order to play it?
You made me realize I forgot to type 'death' when I wrote 'Blood Angel (Death) Company'.

Yeah game with BA, would have no problem... but a game with Death Company member like SumcbagEddie suggested, wouldn't really work.

Suomimaster

Mar 19, 2008
w-Jinksy said:
Suomimaster said:
No Co-Op campaign? Not buying.
who said it didnt one of the big things was the 4 player co-op.
Well, the problem is that they have been extremely tight lipped about co-op campaign. I checked their website and I didn't find any 100% proof that they would include co-op. Even in steam store there isn't "Co-op campaign", only "Singleplayer", "Multiplayer" and "Achievments".

Only after they say that they'll add Co-op to the game, I'll consider buying it.
But seriously, why they haven't said a word about co-op when they even have mentioned that Chaos will put their spoon to the titan-soup?

Photocopier

Mar 1, 2011
I don't care if this game is good or terrible, their is no way I will not buy the collector's edition.
It comes with a purity seal. A PURITY SEAL

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Demodeus said:
Unreal?
What the heck has Unreal ripped off of Wh40k?
The armour on the super humans...

Just look at the armour on George. Not so sure about the new games but in the older games they did look incredibly similar in my opinion.

Suarga

Jun 23, 2008
You can't argue that Gears of War and this game look similar. Much like that venturebeat article said, they hold a good number of similarities:

1) Testosterone injected, beefed up warriors
2) HUGE armor
3) Droves of drone-like enemies
4) Chainsaw
5) Executions
6) Third person view

What do you expect someone to think when they have no knowledge of what Warhammer is and they have played a hugely popular game (GoW) that holds these same aspects? What people are going to see first is the similarities. Yes, there are differences, but with that number of similarities in your face right when you start playing, its hard to shake the idea.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I still think Crimson Fists would have been a better chapter for this game.
You don't see much of the Crimson Fists do you? Odd that. Always liked their colour scheme.

Always thought that this would be a shooter game, but now its mostly close combat. Thats Orks for you I suppose, almost always close combat. Read we get Thunder Hammer and chainswords as close combat weapons, console players get the power sword (maybe PC get it for free?). Was hoping we could also have lightning claws or maybe a power fists, pop storm bolters on the backs of them and we are good to go.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Space Marines tedious? No, how could an army of guys in the same power army with essentially the same boring personality ever get tedious?
Canadish said:
Others have already said it, but this games system sounds like it was build around one of the other chapters.
Blood Angels, Space Wolves or Black Templars would all be a good fit.

But hey, its nice to see UltraSmurfs for once. It's not like they're ALWAYS crammed down our throats is it? No, no of course not.
Please, the space marines as a whole are being shoved down our throats. When you say that one chapter is being favored over your personal favorite, imagine how it must feel to all the poor ork and eldar players who have to live with outdated codexes and no real support because the fanboys want more space marines.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Suarga said:
You can't argue that Gears of War and this game look similar. Much like that venturebeat article said, they hold a good number of similarities:

1) Testosterone injected, beefed up warriors
2) HUGE armor
3) Droves of drone-like enemies
4) Chainsaw
5) Executions
6) Third person view

What do you expect someone to think when they have no knowledge of what Warhammer is and they have played a hugely popular game (GoW) that holds these same aspects? What people are going to see first is the similarities. Yes, there are differences, but with that number of similarities in your face right when you start playing, its hard to shake the idea.
Don't think anybodies denied there are similarites in premise such of those at least superficially. Whats being pointed out is that these are mostly superficial and that most cases W40k had the ideas first (at least those that arent intriniscally video game mechnics rather than universe themes or also table top game mechanics)

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
ELD3RGoD said:
I was hoping for basically a third-person Last Stand mode with a wider range of Wargear. I'm also hoping for an Army Painter and some sort of Co-op. Doubting all of them, but i'm a huge fan of the Warhammer 40K universe, always have been so I'm excited!
You get an exclusive paint job for preordering it on steam, so you can cross off that hope. Considering their DLC Frenzy around TLS, It's safe to assume that you'll have to pay for any and all content thats not shipped with the game.

008Zulu said:
ScumbagEddie said:
I'm
Too many special rules associated with the Death Company. Deathwing are terminators, not ideal for a fast paced action game.
They have Terminator Honors, yes - but you don't always have access to terminator armor. Other games have Vehicle sections - why shouldn't there be a Terminator Section in a game like this ?

Somehow, the artwork of the Titan seems closer to the fluff - the in Game shot looks at least one size too small. Proper size for a Warhound, but not for what I think is a Warlord-class.