EA Announces More Game Server Closures

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Announces More Game Server Closures

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] is planning more online game server closures, saying that it wants to focus its efforts on maintaining games that people are actually interested in playing.

It seems like EA has been bringing the hammer down on a lot of games lately, and not just old ones, either: As February's list [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97200-EA-Shutting-Down-Older-Game-Servers-in-February] of closing servers revealed, age is only one factor that goes into these decisions. EA touched on that point in its announcement of two new rounds of closures, saying that the games being shut down represent less than .3 percent of all peak online players, over all EA games.

"Despite some people's perception, there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these older games up and running. We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99.7 percent of customers playing our more popular games," the company said. "These decisions to retire games is never easy. The EA development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired."

Still, as Travis Coates learned, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And this is what EA is going to do:

Online Service Shutdowns Scheduled for March 16:

Def Jam for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Godfather for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Lord of the Rings: Conquest for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for PC
Need for Speed: Carbon for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed: ProStreet for PlayStation Portable
Simpsons for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Online Service Shutdowns Scheduled for April 15:

Burnout 3: Takedown for PlayStation 2
Army of Two for PlayStation 3 (Asia only)

EA also confirmed that Microsoft's planned termination [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98069-Microsoft-Dropping-Online-Support-for-Original-Xbox-Games] of Xbox Live support for original Xbox consoles and games on April 15 will result in the end of online support for the Xbox versions of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Burnout 3: Takedown and Madden NFL 09.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
WHAT?! THE!? FUCK!? Why are they closing LOTR: Conquest? Loads of people still play that! ITS EPIC!

HAXXXXXX FUCK YOU EA

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
What surprises me is that this is a surprise for anyone. It's going to happen for every game eventually.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Nazrel said:
What surprises me is that this is a surprise for anyone. It's going to happen for every game eventually.
Which is why we shouldn't let dedicated servers get taken over with by this system.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Nazrel said:
Not this quickly - LotR: Conquest was only released last January. That's a pretty short life span for a MP component.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Ashbax said:
WHAT?! THE!? FUCK!? Why are they closing LOTR: Conquest? Loads of people still play that! ITS EPIC!

HAXXXXXX FUCK YOU EA
I was thinking the same, except without expletives and capitals. Conquest is quite a recent-ish game so I'm surprised the servers are going this quick.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
They're not worth the resources anymore, so they get shut down.

Anyone with a lick of sense would do the same.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
It doesen't surprise me, most of those games aren't eaxctly popular, in fact, most of them were really crappy and unpopular games.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Nazrel said:
This, basically. Which is why I was so amazed that MAG was even made.

Apr 28, 2008
D4zZ said:
Nazrel said:
Which is why we shouldn't let dedicated servers get taken over with by this system.
That, and why publishers shouldn't use an online activation.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
In other news, MW2 servers will be shut down at the end of this year.
BC2's and MW1's servers will not be shut down BECAUSE THEY ARE DEDICATED SERVERS.

Sorry about that.
I am really surprised about the LotR game, that was released like, last year. And wasn't multiplayer a big part of that game?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems they are tightening there purses even further.

EA must be in trouble

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
... plus none of the mentioned have any viable DLC options or stores built into them, no udders to milk so to speak.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
j0z said:
In other news, MW2 servers will be shut down at the end of this year.
BC2's and MW1's servers will not be shut down BECAUSE THEY ARE DEDICATED SERVERS.

Sorry about that.
I am really surprised about the LotR game, that was released like, last year. And wasn't multiplayer a big part of that game?
Conquest was released early 09 and was quite good, if underrated. im really suprised that EA are such capitalists. means they are probably gonna really something like Conquest 2 soon enough.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
pretty odd that they would close down such recent games, i would rather aim for older crap. oh well.