EA Appreciation Thread

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Greetings fellow escapists.

As you may have guessed from the title, this thread's purpose is to show some love for our favourite evil publisher. Tell us of their good deeds. Any gem they published, developed, contributed, influenced...

I, for one, appreciate them for Red Alert 3. A fine piece of RTS with stylized graphics, easy resource management, a big arsenal of doomsday machines and J.K Simmons as the President. What is not to love?

So , go ahead and spread the love you had been trying to hide with ineffective corporate bashing for so long.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Well they help fund and support many indie developers through their 3rd party EA system or whatever they call it. They helped the developers of both the Shank series and the Deathspank series so there's that.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They supply the market with jobs. That's always good.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was amazing, and the newest Splinter Cell that's coming out may be slightly more stealth-based than the previous abomination that was "Conviction".

They made Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars, before completely balsing up the franchise with the inexcusably dreadful C&C4.

ERM... The Old Republic is going Free2Play so a stingy waster like me can enjoy it without giving them any money!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
They allow game sudios I love to make games that I also love!

(Yes I'm an EA and Bioware fan, and proud!)

Captcha: Rolling stone.... humm need to go and listen to Gimme Shelter!

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Hero in a half shell said:
They made Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars
I thought Westwood did that.

Suki_ said:
They help make some of the best games out there.
They do?

OT: Back in the day, they were pretty badass. While they still signed stuff with Electronic Arts. Even when the "EA " busted its way over everything, things weren't that bad. And they've released Spore and Mirror's Edge which, I guess is good and I should be thankful.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Draech said:
DoPo said:
Hero in a half shell said:
They made Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars
I thought Westwood did that.
Westwood was about to go under at the time EA bought the studio. Westwood may have done the work, but they wouldn't have been able to without EA paying the bill.
It's just when I hear (or read) "Someone made something" I associate it with a heavier involvement than that.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
bafrali said:
In the previous decade they published and developed all of my favourite Lord of the Rings video games, like the Battle for Middle Earth series, and the movie games, which were some of the only good movie cash-in games in existence. They also developed the Command & Conquer series, which I still enjoy playing on occasion. Actually they've developed, or helped developed, some of my favourite series, for which I am highly appreciative.
Edit: They didn't develop the series, but they've worked directly on many of the games in the C&C series.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
True, I have Red Alert 3, and LOOONG LONG ago...EA was just a better company with such titles as Mutant League Football, which my siblings and I found funny as hell. Not much I have is EA stuff, though. Red Alert 3 is probably the only recent purchase of mine. (Actually, it was a gift.)

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
bafrali said:
Greetings fellow escapists.

As you may have guessed from the title, this thread's purpose is to show some love for our favourite evil publisher. Tell us of their good deeds. Any gem they published, developed, contributed, influenced...

I, for one, appreciate them for Red Alert 3. A fine piece of RTS with stylized graphics, easy resource management, a big arsenal of doomsday machines and J.K Simmons as the President. What is not to love?

So , go ahead and spread the love you had been trying to hide with ineffective corporate bashing for so long.
Thing about Red Alert 3 is that it's basically a giant middle finger to established Red Alert fans, in that it tried way too hard to force itself into the series canon and in the process entirely retconned Red Alert 2. Also, the Empire forces are a little bit...questionable. I've never been one to automatically assume that all young girls in anime are solely there for lonely old men, but...you get the idea.

The only thing I genuinely love about EA, however, is that they allowed DICE to make Mirror's Edge, a genuinely unique, interesting and risky game. Nothing else overrides the "ineffective corporate bashing". Heck, nothing but a Mirror's Edge sequel would even conceivably put Origin on my PC.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They published Future Cop: L.A.P.D. and The Lost World for PS1; They're OK in my book.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Their name...appears...on good games...

Right before they ruin the franchise-DAMNIT, I COULDN'T DO IT!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Off the top of my head, they gave us the BFME series of RTS games, which were awesome. Too bad they let them stagnate...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Red Alert 3? Are you bloody serious... I haven't yet found an RTS that plays worse, unless it is the single solitary game you ever played that is some serious heresy calling it good.

Ya EA was great, about 15 years ago.