EA Asserts Customers Enjoy Microtransactions

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
what...I......what.....WHY?
oh god why?
how does that monster BREATHE (or EA executives, for that matter)?
why is it still alive?
oh god the crash cannot come soon enough...
Teoes said:
How much does a solid kick to the testicles cost these days? Assuming I'm a UK taxpayer.
I'd like to know that as well.
Are there multiple versions that are differently taxed, depending on speed and angle?
will they be within an affordable price range, at least some of them?
I guess it's time for a field study, this question must not be left unanswered.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Huh..I'm glad EA does nothing of interest to me as of late. I can just walk by the microtransactions fiasco and not care a bit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
And that is why we fail. All it would've taken to put an end to this shit is enough people NOT buying into those microtransactions, but apparently not enough people had the will power to do so.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
If EA keeps up this strategy I would not be surprised if EA games end up costing more than systems that run them.

Whatever happened to EA saying games prices should come down? *looks at EA stock* oh...right thats why.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I would like to meet these people who like EA's way of handling micro-transactions. I don't think they are real... or educated. I would like to educate them.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
ITT: People angry about something that'll never affect them if they don't choose to use it.

They weren't a big deal in Dead Space 3 (at least not to the people who weren't trying to make them a big deal), but hey, it's EA trying to make money, so fuck them I guess.

*sigh.

tehwalrus

Sep 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
And that is why we fail. All it would've taken to put an end to this shit is enough people NOT buying into those microtransactions, but apparently not enough people had the will power to do so.
Like someone said earlier, EA is most like making 90% of the micro-transaction money from 10% of the people playing their games. Odds are high that 10% is fulled with people who don't give a kitten, whether it's kids with parents buying their games, rich people or 'casuals' who just want whatever it is they want now and don't know the first thing about the industry, let alone think about how buying materials for Isaac's new gun might influence future games.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Yeah we LOVE microtransactions..... On games that are free... or $20 on release..... NOT $70 FOR THE FUCKING COLLECTORS STILL MISSING SHIT EDITION!

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
EA asserts they know what they're doing.

Gamers hilarity ensues.

As usual EA shows how much they don't understand reality. Wait what? REALITY? That's not in their vocabulary. They live in a make-believe world.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Phlakes said:
ITT: People angry about something that'll never affect them if they don't choose to use it.

They weren't a big deal in Dead Space 3 (at least not to the people who weren't trying to make them a big deal), but hey, it's EA trying to make money, so fuck them I guess.

*sigh.
So you don't see how business directly affecting game balance can affect the whole game experience even if you "don't choose to use it"?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
tehwalrus said:
canadamus_prime said:
Like someone said earlier, EA is most like making 90% of the micro-transaction money from 10% of the people playing their games. Odds are high that 10% is fulled with people who don't give a kitten, whether it's kids with parents buying their games, rich people or 'casuals' who just want whatever it is they want now and don't know the first thing about the industry, let alone think about how buying materials for Isaac's new gun might influence future games.
Yeah I suppose that's probably true too. All EA is probably seeing are the numbers in their bank account.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Oh for fucks sake. Will Anonymous just hurry up and hack these assholes into oblivion already? At this rate, you'll have to pay for the entire game piece meal, on top of the $60 entrance fee.

I'm seriously considering ditching gaming for good and, I dunno, taking up machreme, or knitting or something.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Rainforce said:
what...I......what.....WHY?
oh god why?
how does that monster BREATHE (or EA executives, for that matter)?
why is it still alive?
oh god the crash cannot come soon enough...
Teoes said:
How much does a solid kick to the testicles cost these days? Assuming I'm a UK taxpayer.
I'd like to know that as well.
Are there multiple versions that are differently taxed, depending on speed and angle?
will they be within an affordable price range, at least some of them?
I guess it's time for a field study, this question must not be left unanswered.
See now you are getting in to the pricey ones. The transcontinental kick is going to be a pretty penny with the conversion and the agency fees to hire the third party for the actual kick.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Phlakes said:

*sigh.
As a completionist, and hearing that EA is putting this crap into single player parts of games for gods know what reason, it's only a matter of time before the only way you can experience everything in a game you paid for is to pay for even more.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Says who? I haven't met a gamer who has used any of EA's Micro transactions - none of the Mass Effect crap, none of the Dead Space crap, and none of the IOS business.

If by "people" you mean "Upper class 12 year olds who's parents don't know what ESRB ratings mean with access to their parents Credit Card", I can see that. Other than that, no.

This has been said 100,000,000 times by people who have more sway than me. But you can't expect to milk a transaction system built on free to play titles if you require us to pay for admission. ESPECIALLY if you're not using Microtransactions to OFFPUT the cost of admission.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if you were releasing new games at $30 with microtransactions. Because I can see that as a viable, less risky business model. But I refuse to pay for crap when I'm already paying full price. Thats like paying for admission to an amusement park THEN paying for tickets to ride the rides.

Its one or the other. I'd be willing to meet you half way with microtransactions (in terms of my analogy, I'd be willing to pay for parking), but you can't expect to shovel us with shit then say "No, really, you guys don't mind."

Because the vast majority of us that work for our money do

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
For those of you who like microtransactions, this is, of course, good news.
I'm sincerely hoping that this is a politically correct way of saying, "This is bad news for everyone."

As someone else has already pointed out, "voting with your wallet" can't beat microtransactions because unlike, say, choosing not to buy a game or piece of DLC that cost the developer lots of money to create, microtransactions are implemented basically without cost to the publisher, and because there will always be people stupid enough to buy into this crap, the publisher has no incentive to stop utilizing microtransactions unless people get upset enough about it that they refuse to buy the game itself in the first place. Which is gonna be tough to pull off if EA shoves them into every single game they release, since they've got a tight enough hold on the gaming industry that they still possess many IPs that people care about enough about to buy regardless of EA's business practices.

On the (potentially) plus side, we all know where this is going; like Ungoliant growing so gluttonous that she eventually devours herself, EA's own greed will drive them to design their games around forcing the player to use the microtransaction system simply for the game to be functional. With microtransactions no longer truly optional, and the game outright unplayable by the sizable number of people who don't play online, hopefully the wallet-based outcry will reach the point that EA will finally either be made to wake up and stop this nonsense or, failing that, be driven out of business altogether (followed shortly by the Easter Bunny descending to the earth on a pegasus-drawn sky chariot and turning the world's oceans into grape Kool-Aid with a wave of his magic scepter).

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
In a way, this is good news. For anybody who'll start to study game desgin in a few years, anyway (by then the industry will have recovered).

But for now, this is a very stupid thing to do, because they're alienating all of their customers.

It's also yet another justification for people to pirate EA games, and at this point I can only say: the company deserves it.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
I stopped buying EA games when they required origin. That means, no ME3 for me, and I'm a rather big fan of mass effect, having bought the books etc..

This news bit of microtransactions being a standard feature from now on pretty much just enforced my decision.