EA Attaches Mass Effect 3 DLC To Upcoming Dark Horse Books

TheWonko

Oct 26, 2009
So, if I already bought the dead tree version, and indeed, have it sitting on my shelf right now. Do I get DLC?

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
TheWonko said:
So, if I already bought the dead tree version, and indeed, have it sitting on my shelf right now. Do I get DLC?
Don't be silly, that's just for new customers. They've already got you tied into a 25 year fixed term tracker mortgage at 2.2%, why would they want to offer you a better deal?

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
So...the dlc is just for PC and 360 players? What about PS3? D: Just asking...
Hell, I'll buy it for the art not dlc anyway.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Zeel said:
Make it rain.

If Mass Effect 3 doesn't set the record for Most-amount-of-DLC's in the history of gaming, i'll be shocked.
Hyperdemensional Neptunia would like to claim that prize:
http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=dlc&nav_id=neptunia

Yeah, as bad as the US is it doesn't even come close to some of the things JRPGs have been pulling.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
NiPah said:
Zeel said:
Make it rain.

If Mass Effect 3 doesn't set the record for Most-amount-of-DLC's in the history of gaming, i'll be shocked.
Hyperdemensional Neptunia would like to claim that prize:
http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=dlc&nav_id=neptunia

Yeah, as bad as the US is it doesn't even come close to some of the things JRPGs have been pulling.
Go look up Railworks 3 on Steam. Neptunia pales in comparison to the amount of DLC this has.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Buy DLC, get free virtual coffee table book!

I'm not really sure how much I'd value it not in print.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
Daft Ghosty said:
gigastar said:
Hey, the truth often stings when youre on the recieving end. Dont lash out just because it hit a sore spot.
Sorry, I'm just a paying reader of this website. I kind of expect those who would wear the badge of a professional to act as a professional. Lord forbid I actually call him on his poor etiquette, especially when has has done the same for me.
I completely agree, I'm also a paying member and I pay so I can support a website that I love because I think it is different from things like Joystiq, IGN etc... And worth supporting and help shield from flame and hopefully help keep this place in leaning more to an intellectual discussion on games or just to meet some cool escapists.

Daniel Park

Oct 10, 2010
Escapist has traditionally been my go-to source of gaming news, but to be honest, it's growing wearisome to see articles that are clearly listed under the moniker "News" perpetually peppered with snark. If it truly is NEWS, then kindly report without editorializing.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
And screw everyone that doesn't enjoy being milked to death after the shitty "YOU CAN CONTINUE SHEPARD'S LEGEND! IN THE DLC THAT WE WILL CONTINUE MAKING FOR NEXT THREE YEARS!" message you get after those Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 endings.

Monoochrom said:
Phlakes said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Oh calm down guys, it was a throwaway joke. If you'd received the deluge of links to that Mass Effect 3 petition that we have over the last 24 hours, you'd be a bit snarky too.
It's the internet, people can't handle mature discussion or any kind of deprecating humor. Makes them actually have to think about what they're saying.
When they do it, it's a ''joke''.

When you do it, it's a infraction.
Yeah, I kind of lost any respect I had for Escapist. I mean, I can ignore Mahalo and Jimquisition and Greg Tito... but "journalist" that tries to insult a majority of fans (because let's face it, the majority of people hate endings) is not worth any respect.

And yes, when they make a joke like that, they can't be punished or even lectured. When a user does it, he gets infraction/suspension.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Zeel said:
Make it rain.

Doubt it [http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/]. Railworks 3: Train Simulator 2012 has 99 pieces of DLC.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Just realised how much this topic changed. Going on subject now.

Won't be buying any DLC for ME3, I don't care much for the multiplayer anyway and I don't feel like forking out extra money on something that all things considered disappointed me.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Alamandorious said:
Alright...so I guess if you were sold a car, a car that was exalted by critics, that the designers had said 'would be the car that ties in all the improvements from previous models into a complete vehicle', and you complained about it when it arrived without a windshield that you, by your logic, should be accused of being petulent and feeling entitled.

Wow.

Seriously? We were told that everything we did mattered, that everything we did was taken into account...and we ended up with a choice of 'red, green, or blue', all of which discard everything we'd done until that point.

Feeling entitled? Not really. Feeling disappointed and cheated? Highly.
This is what I hate about the anti-ending arguments; they lack logic and a generally one massive hyperbole. How you can genuinely say the ending not meeting expectations is like a car missing a windscreen is beyond me.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Zeel said:
Make it rain.

That train simulator has 8000 dollars worth of DLC, About 400 packs and tons of skins if im not wrong, its gonna be hard to top it.

Abedeus said:
And screw everyone that doesn't enjoy being milked to death after the shitty "YOU CAN CONTINUE SHEPARD'S LEGEND! IN THE DLC THAT WE WILL CONTINUE MAKING FOR NEXT THREE YEARS!" message you get after those Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 endings.

Monoochrom said:
Phlakes said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Oh calm down guys, it was a throwaway joke. If you'd received the deluge of links to that Mass Effect 3 petition that we have over the last 24 hours, you'd be a bit snarky too.
It's the internet, people can't handle mature discussion or any kind of deprecating humor. Makes them actually have to think about what they're saying.
When they do it, it's a ''joke''.

When you do it, it's a infraction.
Yeah, I kind of lost any respect I had for Escapist. I mean, I can ignore Mahalo and Jimquisition and Greg Tito... but "journalist" that tries to insult a majority of fans (because let's face it, the majority of people hate endings) is not worth any respect.

And yes, when they make a joke like that, they can't be punished or even lectured. When a user does it, he gets infraction/suspension.
What a nice claim you made there, I'd like you to back it up, nobody I know hated the endings, I dont 'hate' the endings. Most reviews I watched, well. Didnt hate the ending. Only this small horde of bioware fans seesm to have gone directly up and stood against it, with the million ammounts of copies getting sold you would think if -everyone- hated it with passion it would get a lot more support. Then there are also the people who just dont care and those who bought it for the multiplayer.

And even in the case you were right? And most people didnt like the ending?

Well youknow what, most people arent raging. Most people arent spamming every single forum on the internet about it, Theres been, I dunno.. 50 threads this week alone about the damn thing I would just like you people to shut-the-f-up, for a little while. Maybe keep it to less than 15 threads if possible. Seriously. This is reminding me more of the Valve-vs-Zynga March Mayhem than anything resembling a positive movement. Also, was there really no way to deal with a biased article than to create a thread personally insulting the writer? Because that seems like a really friggin childish thing to do. And no, I dont care that the people who made that thread -werent- journalists. IF they want to be taken seriously they should act proffesionally.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
Earnest, those disappointed by ME3 aren't a few isolated crackpots - they're the dedicated gamers that have stuck with the series since the beginning. In fact, they're the dedicated gamers that make up a big chunk of The Escapist's key demographic.

You dismiss and mock your target market, those who actually have a very valid complaint following a significant investment of time and money. Can you really be surprised that so many of us feel offended by your dismissive, ill-considered and frankly rude assertion that we are "entitled and petulant"?

I'm very disappointed that The Escapist chose to publish your article as it was, and have sent a complaint to that effect.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Unless you're too busy being entitled and petulant about the end of Mass Effect 3. That's cool too, I guess.
You kind of got it the wrong way around, I see a lot more publishers feeling "entitled" to a direct connection to the wallet of gamers, no matter if they put out crap or split up game content in over 900$ worth [http://kotaku.com/5888816/buying-all-of-mass-effect-3s-dlc-will-cost-you-870] of DLC.

I liked Mass Effect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.61865-Mass-Effect-PC-Pro-Contra] and loved Mass Effect 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.175197-Mass-Effect-2-PC-Pro-Contra], but you know what? They're not, and as such I won't buy their third game at all. I'm a lot more willing to put my money into things like Stacking, Dear Esther or similar on Steam and throw the money I saved at projects like the Double Fine Kickstarter Adventure or Wasteland 2 instead. At least they realize that consumers are human beings with needs and wants and not statistics on their latest quarterly figures waiting to be exploited and nothing else.
Apologies if you've already been quoted, three pages of bitching is a little too much to handle before breakfast, but I had to ask. You are, in fact, aware that your $900 worth of DLC is blown completely out of proportion. In fact, if you look over the list, the majority of it is Hardware like Razor Mice and keyboards that come with a code for the Collector Rifle. Which is a multiplayer only weapon. The only -actual- DLC on their entire list is From Ashes, which is included for free in the Collector's Edition they added to the list.

So as they put it, to get the "Complete Game" it's $70, $80 if you want the Collector's Edition. and if you -have- to have that rifle in multiplayer, buy a mousepad for $25.

Again, sorry if someone already went over this, but I hate to see people sucked in by sensationalist news. People not doing their research is exactly why we have such travesties like Fox News and the Daily Mail.