Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
shintakie10 said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
EA Blames Filthy Casuals For Falling Old Republic Subscriber Numbers
Really, Greg? Really?

Come on. I know the Escapist has been diving head first into shock titles to get readers into the news articles lately, but that's just blatantly unprofessional. The really stupid straw that broke this camels back, mayhaps.
Wait wait. This was the straw that broke the camels back and not the one where Carter called someone a homophobe in another article with absolutely no proof that it was true? This then lead to so many people comin into the article with lines like "At first I felt bad for him, but then I read he was a homophobe and think he deserved it."

You have weird standards for what is too much.
Woah, woah, what? could you possibly link that to me if you remember which article it was? I don't believe I read that.

Grey Carter said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, Greg? Really?

Come on. I know the Escapist has been diving head first into shock titles to get readers into the news articles lately, but that's just blatantly unprofessional. The really stupid straw that broke this camels back, mayhaps.
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, Greg? Really?
Yeah, Greg. Really?
Oh yes, please do point out a misspelling and offer nothing of substance. The line back there--you see it? That's the line between edgy and childish.
Dude I'm as angry as you are. Greg really crossed the line this time. The line between edgy and childish, like you said.
I's funny, because your behaviour would see a user warned. You've gone out of your way to intentionally avoid the point and have resorted to passive aggressive trolling. Nice to see the standards are so very high for professional conduct around here. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone who refuses to engage in any form of intelligent discourse once they've been criticized to be anything of a well worded journalist.

A shining beacon for Themis Media. I'll have to pass on my praise.
Make sure you address it to Greg.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
They're not the Star Wars fantasy. It's not the big expansive universe that appeals to so many people worldwide.
Big expansive universe? Not really, that would be EVE.
EA/BioWare made a planet surface simulator with map to serve as space travel.

Still, you have to admit it ... Their freaking PR machine is unstoppable in sheep shearing. However, BioWare is doomed in my opinion. EA will demand heads at BioWare at minimum.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Tanakh said:
Grey Carter said:
If I knew exactly what WoW did "right" that allowed it to pull in so many users, I'd be making games myself. Some of WoW's popularity is down to momentum yes, but it needed something special to start that momentum in the first place. I don't think that "x" factor that turns a game from a product to a social phenomenon is something you can quantify and repeat. I mean, Angry Birds is a pretty good well-designed physics puzzler, but I couldn't explain it, of all the games in that genre, was the one to go nova.
For Angry Birds i would say in order of importance:

- Luck
- Character design
- Good implementation of the gameplay

They did nothing new, but it was a well executed game that got very lucky and was targeted at the right market at the right time.

And yeah, WoW did a bunch of things right, go play Everquest, Asheron's Call or DaoC, all of them were big way before warcraft so inertia is not the right answer. I know it sounds vage, but i think it's doing all the baiscs good from start and trying to polish them as much as they could, from the casting animations to the implementation of their Global Cooldown, just compare the level desing for places like the (old) barrens to tatoine. I dislike most of Blizz politics, and i will never play WoW again, but as a mmo? It's the pinnacle of a decade to say the least.
That honestly can't be it for WoW because I was there when Wow first launched. It was awful. Game mechanics were poorly explained. Stats made absolutely no sense. Quest progression was a clusterfuck to say the least. There was no end game. There were very few dungeons and the dungeons they did have were complete messes. It took them over a year to get their shit together enough to actual make decent content and it took till the first expansion to get game mechanics to make sense.

Really I'd say the biggest point towards WoW was the Warcraft and Blizzard names. People that didn't care to know had no idea what Everquest was, or DAoC, or any of the first MMO's. However they did know what Warcraft was and they had played Blizzard games before so they gave it a shot.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Seriously even though WoW had its flaws, it was still fun. In addition the concept was new to many players. Hell I even went to Scholomance 30-40 times to get my T0 helmet. But that concept doesn't work anymore like it did with WoW classic.

In addition, you don't even need to go that often into a FP to get an item. Within 1-2 weeks can be fully geared in SWTOR (even in PVP)

Oh and btw. I think the dungeons in WoW worked pretty well at EU release - Strat, Scholo, BRD, BRS were alright as dungeons, Dire Maul was even better (Patch 1.2).

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Really I'd say the biggest point towards WoW was the Warcraft and Blizzard names. People that didn't care to know had no idea what Everquest was, or DAoC, or any of the first MMO's. However they did know what Warcraft was and they had played Blizzard games before so they gave it a shot.
Fun trivia: Lieage II got to 2 mill in 2 years, WoW West took the same ammount of time. Hell, Lineage II and EQ II grew faster than WoW the first year.

And yeah, WoW launch was chaotic in performance and without endgame that's why i didn't mentioned those in my post as strenghts, for the rest i disagree.

nodlimax said:
But that concept doesn't work anymore like it did with WoW classic.
I am not sure of that, maybe the merciless grind of WoW vanilla and EQ won't retunr; but if arenanet keeps some of the long therm grinding of GW 1 you won't run out of content in a couple of weeks, at least i hope they do because that was one of my problems with ToR too.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Andronicus said:
Freechoice said:
Zhukov said:
Medal of Honor made money?

[sub][sub]Must... not... add... "u"... to... "honor"[/sub][/sub]
Why the fuck do you wanna misspell it?
We could ask the same about Americans
the whole damn english language is adaptations and misspellings from other languages... way to turn this into a nationality issue.

although, to be quaint, this is an american based website, if you really wanna nitpick, it's gonna be honor.

(although the prick you quoted probably didn't realize most words are spelled different across seas, rather than all english being the same.)
Actually, if you want to nitpick, it's honor and not honour[/b] because its the name of the game. An American game.

Oh... and I'm from Canada where we would normally spell it with the u.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I wouldn't mind them doing what STO did. Make the Free 2 Play, but keep the monthly fee for those of us who want the "full experience"

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hey, wait a minute now, I'm the guy who's supposed to be blaming the casuals!!

If EA blames the casuals... that means... it's the hardcore crowd that left TOR after finishing it and going back to WoW... Yeah, must be it.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
In other news, EA realized that scapegoating piracy is kind of stupid when you are talking about a pay to play MMO. Hmm, EA realized something. Imagine that.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Grey Carter said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
shintakie10 said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, Greg? Really?

Wait wait. This was the straw that broke the camels back and not the one where Carter called someone a homophobe in another article with absolutely no proof that it was true? This then lead to so many people comin into the article with lines like "At first I felt bad for him, but then I read he was a homophobe and think he deserved it."

You have weird standards for what is too much.
Woah, woah, what? could you possibly link that to me if you remember which article it was? I don't believe I read that.

Grey Carter said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, Greg? Really?

Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, Greg? Really?
Yeah, Greg. Really?
Oh yes, please do point out a misspelling and offer nothing of substance. The line back there--you see it? That's the line between edgy and childish.
Dude I'm as angry as you are. Greg really crossed the line this time. The line between edgy and childish, like you said.
I's funny, because your behaviour would see a user warned. You've gone out of your way to intentionally avoid the point and have resorted to passive aggressive trolling. Nice to see the standards are so very high for professional conduct around here. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone who refuses to engage in any form of intelligent discourse once they've been criticized to be anything of a well worded journalist.

A shining beacon for Themis Media. I'll have to pass on my praise.
Make sure you address it to Greg.
I'm laughing so much right now.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
I really can't stomach spin, I know big businesses feel they have to but it's just such bullshit. I remember before launch when they where all like 'this game will have such a wide appeal, to MMO fans, fans of Bioware's previous offerings and to Star Wars fans who may not even be big gamers', and yet when they fail to captivate a good chunk of that audience they say 'oh well it's just the casuals who gives a fuck?' Surely the goal is to make a game compelling and interesting enough that even if I'm not really an MMO fan maybe I'll become one and want to keep playing the game long term, subscriptions are subscriptions and this game is hemorrhaging them fast.

Seriously, when will developers and publishers learn that the MMO market is one market where emulating an already successful product just won't work. And yet they keep trying, TES online will be the next one to break the hearts of nerds everywhere with it's inevitable mistreatment of that worlds lore, crappy WoW gameplay and still birth onto the market. Fuck the idiots who keep commissioning these games.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Freechoice said:
gmaverick019 said:
Andronicus said:
Freechoice said:
Zhukov said:
Medal of Honor made money?

[sub][sub]Must... not... add... "u"... to... "honor"[/sub][/sub]
Why the fuck do you wanna misspell it?
We could ask the same about Americans
the whole damn english language is adaptations and misspellings from other languages... way to turn this into a nationality issue.

although, to be quaint, this is an american based website, if you really wanna nitpick, it's gonna be honor.

(although the prick you quoted probably didn't realize most words are spelled different across seas, rather than all english being the same.)
HEY THANKS, BUDDY.

And I'm not the one who started it.

This [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.374462-EA-Blames-Filthy-Casuals-For-Falling-Old-Republic-Subscriber-Numbers#14508767] is the one that started it.
I'm not really seeing what Zhukov started *looks a bit closer* hmmm, it's as I suspected, he started nothing!

Seriously, he said "must not add "u" to honor" because us across the pond spell honour with a "u". Just like we spell colour with a "u" and Americans don't. It was clearly just a joke and you're the one who got all serious and jumped down his throat about it. You, sir, are the one who started it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Bvenged said:
Mr. Riccitiello, when will you ever see this industry as something other than a way to make money?
Probably some time after his job description ceases to be exactly that: making money.

Not to mention this is him addressing shareholders, also known as "these people who give us money so they might make a profit". Unless, of course, you have convincing evidence that a majority of their shareholders bought stock with the sole purpose of being a patron to the arts.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
I can see it now.

"Sir,we need a reason why we lost 400k people subs!"

-jumps on desk-
"FILTHY STINKING GOD DAMN CASUALS!"

"Casuals? Alright...I'll tell them that.."
-sighing-

Really...Thats your best answer....I "CASUALLY" leveled my ass to cap...and was not impressed...and by "CASUALLY" leveled with a friend 6PM-9:30PM every night and logging in almost 3-4x that on Sat + Sun... And I wasnt impressed.. killed Baras...no LFG system...and the fact when you your story it says GO BACK TO THE FLEET AND WAIT FOR A GROUP! FOR THE EMPIRE!

Once you beat the game....which is SP meets MMO elements... its...ya know...WoW...sitting in town with my thumb up my ass alt tab'd out...

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
My friend convinced me to get starwars and play with him, as he's a huge Star Wars fan. We played up to level 50, then both of us, not just me, decided that all in all the experience was...well, not entertaining. The story was the only really fun bit and the only thing that dragged us to 50. Every single other part of the game reeks of mediocre MMO gameplay. Its not...bad. Its just not what I've come to expect from MMO's and does literally nothing to push the boundaries of the gameplay aside from the story elements. In fact, many of the systems in the game feel like they were lifted from an MMO one might have played 4 or 5 years ago. And that's not really meant as a compliment.

I imagine many people feel like I do. They enjoyed their characters story, but once they were done, the game held little other interest for them. EA calls us casuals, I call us bored.