EA Boss Drops the Dime on Dead Space 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Boss Drops the Dime on Dead Space 3

Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello has indirectly confirmed that the Dead Space series will get another sequel, saying he doesn't think it will become one of the publisher's big-money franchises until Dead Space 3 is released.

Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Pc/dp/B0019C4MU2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1297975951&sr=8-6] is doing considerably better, approaching unit sales of two million after just one week on the shelves. But Riccitiello told an audience at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference that he doesn't think the Dead Space series will really hit the big time until the third game is out.

"Right now we've got strong, growing franchises including Madden, FIFA... Need for Speed, Medal of Honor and Battlefield - I include them as one because we're unlikely to ship them in any one year at the same time," he said. "[There's also] Mass Effect... Dragon Age... and the one that's sort of not proven that's coming later in our fiscal year, Star Wars [The Old Republic]."

"That excludes Dead Space because I think it will probably take Dead Space 3 before we get into that five million unit cadence versus say three, four," he added.

It's not exactly carved in stone but the implication is obvious: Dead Space 3 is coming. Of even greater note, however, is Riccitiello's apparent willingness to show patience with franchises that may not be a huge success out of the gate but show big potential for the future. That's an approach to making games that I think I could learn to like.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289206/news/ea-boss-uses-words-dead-space-3/]

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Let me guess, they're gonna make another marker on Earth this time or what?

Still good news!

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
This was fairly inevitable. Most, if not all, successful series are being pimped out into franchises these days.

The last paragraph was a nice observation though.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Of course there was going to be a dead space 3, it was obvious. Besides, pretty much every popular game nowdays turns into a trilogy.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
This is probably pretty obvious to those who have beaten the game anyways. With what happens after the credits >.<

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
OMAIGAWDYUS! Ahem. Honestly when I saw this title I thought they might have been stating there would be no third game, but I'm happy now. :3 I just hope it doesn't become one of those games that gets over 5 in a series... that will be worse than ending it now.

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
Not to sound kinda jerky, but anybody who played DS2 and finished it, this is no suprise whatsoever.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I love Deadspace and all but I just hope they don't milk it dry and run it to the ground.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I like this, it should be good :)

I love the Dead Space series so I don't care if it is a sequel...

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think I approve of the conflation of 'successful' with 'sequelitis'. Good stories have an end.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Being surprised that a Dead Space 3 will come out is like being surprised when the sun comes up tomorrow.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Well, they have 3 games already - 1,2 and Extraction - and there are still plot holes to be filled. They really need a good story for DS3.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Roll on Dead Space 3, can't wait. Hell, if they released it tomorrow I'd be the first one there with $60 ready to go. It can't happen soon enough.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Stop milking dead space EA, and get onto Mirrors edge 2.
I would like to see dead space 3 but I would like to see a mirrors edge 2 a lot more unfortunately at the moment it looked like it's been put on hold after the beta build was rejected.