EA CCO Says SimCity, Battlefield 4 Launches Weren't That Bad

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Titanfall is made by a different organization. Respawn has very firm control of their project," he said. "Best I can do for you."

Well then, I guess that's that. But I really hope that's not actually the best EA can do for us.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/11/ea-defends-bf-4-simcity-launch-efforts-discusses-future/]

It sounds like he's saying EA has virtually no involvement in the game. That probably really is the best they can do for anyone.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I can't comment on SimCity, but the Battlefield 4 launch was absolutely terrible. To the point I gave up attempting to play the bug ridden, lag-fest of a game during it's first week of launch. And I hear it's still got some pretty bad bugs, so I won't be touching it again until they're fixed.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
This many knows how to spin issues with words, his a genius. I am legitimately impressed with the wording he selected to make his point.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Kind of rolls right in with Shamus's When are games done discussion as well. They did release games that were steaming piles of technical mess that I will call feces, but at the same time, had core gameplay that people enjoyed. So, essentially what they did was release the game before it was actually done to get more money to work on the game, instead of just delaying and finishing the game (or perhaps they didn't want to deal with a big beta test, so they they just said launch it, but I'm pretty sure I remember there being a huge BF4 beta, so probably not).

The dismissal at the end when asked about Titanfall is kind of shameful for them though isn't it? I don't know if I am reading too much into it, or if I just read his words differently than they were meant, but it seemed like he essentially said "No guarantees" on the subject of Titanfall releasing in a playable state (which, with it being online, will probably be a no).

Mooboo Magoo

Aug 22, 2011
I 100% believe this man is sincere. I believe he doesn't think those games had bad launches.

And the fact he thinks that way is the problem with EA.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
I feel as though there is someone in EA that much like Rich Kindler is going "Are we smoking our own dope?"

Nov 28, 2007
Not to make light of the sheer idiocy of those statements, but you know what the CCO does, right? They are the ones responsible for marketing.

The fact that the head of marketing is this out of touch...well, that says a LOT about EA's PR issues. They need a new guy, ASAP.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"Not that bad???" Is he kidding? I don't know about Battlefield 4, but SimCity was a bonified train wreck, made even more tragic by the fact that it fell in virtually perfect step behind a very similar train wreck that was Diablo III's launch.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Again! Where do they get all these bloody retards!? All of EA should just fire themselves. I rather hear from random animals in a zoo about the current state of EA, because, God damn.

I installed Origin cause I thought they were trying to wise-up, but this is just shows that their filthy sewers aren't going to be unclogged any time soon.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
You know what? I'm usually on the corporations side when it comes to these kinds of things but this...

wat?

Sure, they weren't bad from a SALES perspective if you really want to look at it that way (you shouldn't). And BF4 WAS a launch title and we all know how easily all launch titles can suffer because of the really strict deadlines.

But putting all that aside, both were just bad games at launch. Pure and simple.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Sure, they weren't bad from a SALES perspective if you really want to look at it that way (you shouldn't).
It was compared to previous 2 games [http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=battlefield&publisher=474&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200]

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
there you have it people, EA doesnt care one bit about customer satisfaction, not that there was ever any doubt of that, dont give them the satisfaction of pulling those damn sales numbers out of their ass over and over again with every buggy ass release, stop buying their stupid games, or atleast wait a bit, 1 month, show them you dont trust them

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
What fucking launch are you comparing them to? Apollo 1?

Star Wars Battlefront is screwed. It just is. Maybe I'll get the original battlefront 2 on digital if they release it, but I am seriously worried about this reboot. And why is it a reboot anyways? There is no reason for that.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Racecarlock said:

Star Wars Battlefront is screwed. It just is. Maybe I'll get the original battlefront 2 on digital if they release it, but I am seriously worried about this reboot. And why is it a reboot anyways? There is no reason for that.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 is, and has been for awhile, available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/6060/?snr=1_7_15__13), though I don't think it's available through any other distributor. Maybe a hardcover version from Amazon, but a brief search didn't turn up any digital versions besides the Steam one.

OT: Nothing new here. EA is just the most vocal of the many, MANY publishers out there who don't give a damn about producing good, or even playable games so long as they have your money already.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
uncanny474 said:
Racecarlock said:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is, and has been for awhile, available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/6060/?snr=1_7_15__13), though I don't think it's available through any other distributor. Maybe a hardcover version from Amazon, but a brief search didn't turn up any digital versions besides the Steam one.
I meant on the Xbox 360. My computer isn't exactly built for gaming.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Oh yeah, because a game release (Simcity) going so wrong that you had to compensate day one buyers doesn't qualify as 'that bad.' That's just adorable.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
"Yeah I mean, we made a TON of money off the rubes who bought those games we put out broken. I don't see why everyone thinks those launches were failures, they bought me a new Porsche with my balls painted on the hood."

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Soooo, mr. EA executive. What would qualify a bad game for you? I think EA could've released a game where every single disk could've:
1. come alive
2. start eating babies
3. start burning puppies

and it'd still classify as a so-so release.