EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns - UPDATED

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Adept Mechanicus said:
Ding dong, the witch is dead. I don't think this is going to lead to a massive shakeup in corporate policy. A CEO is elected by the shareholders, after all.
Agreed. We'll more than likely end up with more of the same. There is only so much policy and game design an actual CEO takes part in, and even if the new guy has lots of crazy ideas (like not treating its customers as children/morons/criminals) very little of that'll tickle down to the dev teams.

Azwrath

Feb 23, 2012
Wow. I think this is the best move the EA PR department made in the last... 3 or 4 years. And lets be serious that's all this is, a PR move, since the true puppet masters remain the same.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Hades said:
Lets not go cheering to soon. I expect the next guy to be much worse then him
He may be worse, but, for a short time, cheer friend and cheer loudly. Joy is short lived these days, embrace it now and let cynicism wait until tomorrow.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
MrMan999 said:
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
but will we let ourselves get fooled again?

on topic: sure wish this would change anything, but I don't believe in it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. amazing. still cant believe it. he is gone, taking away all the money he stole. if we will have any good changes with the new guy, maybe not. but if things do get better, maybe i can get a ?A game again.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
A superbly fitting resignation. I have to think that the release of SimCity was a make-or-break for the CEO. Given the disastrous design of the game, the faulty launch, and the overall negative press, the board was probably going to fire him anyway. In fact, they probably did, and told him to just resign as a courtesy.

Bring in the next clown.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
that was unexpected and good news, his policies have basically alienated gamers and come close to destroying EA
Yeeeaaaah not really. Or at least not exclusively, not even remotely even. Don't forget about the huge team around him and the stockholders he answers to.

Honestly I blame stockholders for a bigger part of the issues than these CEO's. Most of the investors care fuck-all about videogames. They just want profit. No wonder you get a CEO who makes sure that happens. Hence why I wouldn't be surprised if EA gets a CEO now that isn't all that different.
MrMan999 said:

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
All they have to do is stop rushing out titles. Stop with all the DrM bullshit and allow us to play single player games offline.....unless its a MMO. Its why they are failing, they are creating to much bad publicity for themselves with there practices. Take time, bring out some polished titles and gamers will buy them.

EA. You are your own worse enemy.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Full said:
Well, uh... that's kind of out of the blue, I guess.

Happy trails, I suppose. Hopefully this means EA won't be as much of a dick anymore. It probably won't do anything, though. I'm not even sure what he did.
He was the boss of the company. It -might- make a huge difference ... or none at all. Really depends on how smart EA's shareholders are about who they get to replace him.
cyvaris said:
NOOOOOO!!

Now who will Jim make fun of?!
Simples - that heavy rain guy (the one who said/implied graphics == emotion) he did a whole episode about.

Him and the Gears of War guy.

EDIT:
Cowabungaa said:
wombat_of_war said:
that was unexpected and good news, his policies have basically alienated gamers and come close to destroying EA
Yeeeaaaah not really. Or at least not exclusively, not even remotely even. Don't forget about the huge team around him and the stockholders he answers to.

Honestly I blame stockholders for a bigger part of the issues than these CEO's. Most of the investors care fuck-all about videogames. They just want profit. No wonder you get a CEO who makes sure that happens. Hence why I wouldn't be surprised if EA gets a CEO now that isn't all that different.
But here's the thing - he HASN'T turned a profit - or at least, not the profits they where after. The problem is the shareholders are not being logical, and are being self-destructive; The policies of John Ricc and Co look, to shareholder flawed logic, to be sensible and reasonable - DRM to counter pirates, DLC/online passes to tackle the second hand market - but in reality they don't work and anger EA's customers to the point they stop buying.

They aren't voting for profit really, their voting for what they think is profit but is likely ruin. You can be a profitable, even greedy company, and still have great customer loyality; look at Apple, look at Valve, look at all those trainer companies who have thousands of kids buying overpriced shoes.

The problem is not greed vs not-greed, the problem is effective/smart business vs stupid business.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
To be honest, I don't think Riccitiello resigning will solve all of the issues involving EA. I personally believe he was just one part of a conglomeration of people that are responsible for all the things that make gamers hate EA.

And, his resignation does not guarantee that the new CEO will be better.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Cowabungaa said:
wombat_of_war said:

MrMan999 said:

I am le happy! But deep down, I know it won't really chance anything. C'est tres tragique!

... word count word count word count...

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Oh well. The blame lies not with the CEO but the board, mostly. I bet his replacement will be a jackass who treats customers with even more contempt, pushing for maximum profits over service quality. I won't hold my breath.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is just ONE step we need to steer the entire game industry in the right direction. Yes there are still a lot of scumbags in EA, hell there might even be some worse than Johnny boy here, but this man is just such an arrogant, up his own arse prick that I think every single person in the world here can agree that this is a good thing.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Riccitiello's decision to fall on his sword
...and by "fall on his sword" we of course mean his ass falling into the plush leather seat of his Ferrari to drive to his helicopter which he'll take to his retirement estate manor. What a self sacrifice, atoning for his mistakes and whatnot. *rolls eyes*

You left out the part where EA is paying him two years' salary in severance plus benefits, and last year he was paid $9.5 million including a $1.5 million BONUS which was even higher than the "target bonus" of 1.3mil. So apparently, you can drive a company's stock down 66%, earn a $1,500,000 bonus that year, collect a 9 million dollar paycheck for the year, then resign because of your terrible performance and get 2 years' insane salary to do so. That is a real thing.

DVS BSTrD said:
John Riccitiello: The man who turned trading EA stock into micro-transactions!
That's some internet gold right there, fabulously done.

Also, for further reading:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2013/03/18/john-riccitiello-quits-as-electronic.html

Nov 28, 2007
Good news about EA? We must find a way to twist it around and slam EA!

Seriously, when did optimism die out? Can't we at least wait for evidence that the new CEO is going to be as bad? Or, for that matter, wait for news about who the new CEO even is?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Good news about EA? We must find a way to twist it around and slam EA!

Seriously, when did optimism die out? Can't we at least wait for evidence that the new CEO is going to be as bad? Or, for that matter, wait for news about who the new CEO even is?
Does it really matter who the new CEO is if (s)he is elected by the same people that elected the old one?