EA Claims First Amendment Protections For Battlefield 3 Helicopters

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This is just plain silly. Real-world arms, armor, vehicles have been in plenty of games, for a long, long time. Did all those developers reach some sort of agreement with the manufacturer of everything depicted in their games? I doubt it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
evilneko said:
This is just plain silly. Real-world arms, armor, vehicles have been in plenty of games, for a long, long time. Did all those developers reach some sort of agreement with the manufacturer of everything depicted in their games? I doubt it.
You may note most racing games with real cars have a huge licensing list, same with military games.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I'm slightly disturbed that a military manufacturer feels it should be protected by commercial laws. Surely your priorities should lie with making your products as reliable and effective as possible, rather than worrying about your copyrights being infringed?

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Well you can only pay engineers and drafts people so much and you can only have so many working on a particular project before they start getting in each others way and if your a corperation in this day and age and you don't employ so kind of legal team your just asking for trouble. In other words the guys doing the legal stuff are not the same ones doing all the designing of fiddly bits that go into the making of an aircraft and they were just hanging round the office cause we havn't been sued by any one whoes uncle died because our helicopters weren't designed to withstand a direct hit from a 100 kilotonne nuclear device so we let them loose with a nice easy copywrite case.

To take your worry to the next step. Should GM stop making all those cars and concentrate all there effort into making the engines that go into the tanks and military spec trucks that they also make? Boeing should stop making those silly comercial aeroplanes and stricktly focus on building and developing figher jets and military grade transporters. Neither of them should consern themselves over such trivial matters of copywrite or trademark infringments that they have spent countless years and dollars developing.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
EA decision making makes no sense to me. Trying to restrict rights of others but using those same rights to protect themselves.

Part of me wants EA to win because the precedent it could set could bite EA in the ass. I look forward to when rival sports games are released with full licenses despite EA having sole rights because licensed rosters and kits add realism so we are protected by the first amendment.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
EA your probably not going to win. Though if they lose will BF3 just get shut down or do they even have a backup plan? Knowing EA it'll probably be sell BF3.2 for sixty dollars without the helicopter.

Damn you Captcha at least be easy enough to read I don't need to spend longer time then took me to type post to get something readable.

projectX42

Jun 1, 2011
Domehammer said:
EA your probably not going to win. Though if they lose will BF3 just get shut down or do they even have a backup plan? Knowing EA it'll probably be sell BF3.2 for sixty dollars without the helicopter.
most likely they will have to pay some fine and then release an update that changes the name and possibly the appearance slightly so as to avoid infringements. so expect a "chime AH-1Z venomous snake attack helicopter" to suddenly appear.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
evilneko said:
Considering how often I enjoy going kamikaze onto a group of enemy soldiers in said helicopters, they may be thinking it's saying that their helicopters are shoddy.

Which they're not. The make very good improvised aerial-to-ground explosives.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
dancinginfernal said:
evilneko said:
Considering how often I enjoy going kamikaze onto a group of enemy soldiers in said helicopters, they may be thinking it's saying that their helicopters are shoddy.

Which they're not. The make very good improvised aerial-to-ground explosives.
Considering my friend's general plans of attack in helicopters in BF:BC2 is made up of 'Cover Helicopter in C4 and crash into biggest threat' I'm inclined to agree.

OT: This...just seems silly, not in the 'Hurr, 'Mericans' way, but the 'This is petty' way. I get that it's their product and they need to protect it, but that line of defence just seems poor and half-hearted.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Harper0341 said:
A SOPA supporter trying to protect their freedom of speech. How ironic...
Couldn't have said better myself, my friend. EA, how is it possible for you to be this fucking hateful. I would really hope EA loses this one, but I'm afraid this might set a bad precedent when it comes to the depiction of real life elements in games.

nsqared

Nov 1, 2011
What I don't understand is:
seriously, WHO CARES?
EA should shut up though because they support SOPA.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Harper0341 said:
nsqared said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
EA decision making makes no sense to me. Trying to restrict rights of others but using those same rights to protect themselves.

You all realise of course, the difference between copyright infringement and freedom of speech, don't you? There's no point being disingenuous here. And please note that EA has gone to a body which is perfectly capable of telling them to stop being so stupid and get back to work. Which they've done for SOPA as well. If SOPA passes, blame your lawmakers, not it's supporters. If they win the rights to use the helicopters in this trial, blame your lawmakers, not EA.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Harper0341 said:
nsqared said:

You all realise of course, the difference between copyright infringement and freedom of speech, don't you? There's no point being disingenuous here. And please note that EA has gone to a body which is perfectly capable of telling them to stop being so stupid and get back to work. Which they've done for SOPA as well. If SOPA passes, blame your lawmakers, not it's supporters. If they win the rights to use the helicopters in this trial, blame your lawmakers, not EA.
I thought we were allowed to blame both if SOPA passes.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Double A said:
ResonanceSD said:
Harper0341 said:
nsqared said:

If my team let the offence through, I'd blame the defence, rather than blame the attacking team for "being too good". Or the referee for "not being on our side".

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
If I were head of Textron, I would tell EA that I would drop a lawsuit if they added DLC that had a map that was one huge, "I'm sorry, Textron!" level with advertisements and if they took down Origin.

Seriously, if I had a better computer, I would buy that game the moment they took down Origin. WHY EA, WHY?!!!

But seriously, how could this have slipped past EA? Or rather DICE, the developer, since they are the ones who put them into the game. But the lawyers at EA SHOULD have noticed this. It is unacceptable that it slipped past them. DICE's fault for not getting the proper permits and EA's fault for not double-checking. Sigh.

Harper0341 said:

You, sir, have just won the thread.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"in our defence, ALL the aircraft in Battlefield 3 fly like crap"'

They could have said.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Double A said:
ResonanceSD said:
Harper0341 said:
nsqared said:

If my team let the offence through, I'd blame the defence, rather than blame the attacking team for "being too good". Or the referee for "not being on our side".
EA is supporting some of the guys who want SOPA. With money.

This isn't a sport. There are more sides than two.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Harper0341 said:
My thoughts exactly.

Terminate421 said:
Harper0341 said:
EA never supported SOPA. Also, even if they did, they dropped out. Along with Sony and Nintendo.
No they didn't, check online. EA still supports SOPA.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Treblaine said:
"in our defence, ALL the aircraft in Battlefield 3 fly like crap"'

They could have said.
And as it's a modern combat simulator, ALL aircraft must therefore fly like..oh wait.

News tomorrow: "Aircraft manufacturers modify aircraft to match BF3 physics"