EA Co-Hosts LGBT Event

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
EA Co-Hosts LGBT Event

The industry summit discusses how to tackle gay and lesbian issues in videogames and the industry.

EA makes clear its stance on gay rights, being one of a few companies to sign an amicus curiae [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122426-EA-Microsoft-and-Zynga-Oppose-Defense-of-Marriage-Act] indicating that it opposes the Defense of Marriage Act. It doesn't end there, however: EA recently held an event to address lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues in the gaming community to promote discussion and encourage greater understanding.

The Ford Foundation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ford_Foundation] and EA co-hosted "Full Spectrum", a summit where members of the gaming industry can discuss LGBT themes in videogames and the industry. Discussions throughout the day addressed several issues, such as the over-representation of straight white males, dealing with male-dominated online games, and encouraging diversity in the workplace.

Kixeye executive producer Caryl Shaw observed that today's gaming workplace lacks diversity, which reduces the scope of stories that could potentially be told. "It's a white dude-ly industry, still," she said. "In general it is still a very hard place for women to get in, and that's got to change."

Shaw also addressed the competitive nature of gaming: "Games are a place where people want to posture... in whatever way they know how to stand up for themselves," she commented. "It's really sad, but it has become part of game culture, and figuring out how to change that is why I wanted to participate in this event today."

Gordon Bellamy, head of industry relations at Tencent, said that it required a Harvard degree for him (as a gay black man) to start feeling like he could accomplish anything in the industry. "Part of coming out is having a context to come out to; for people who want to be in the game industry and have a career in games, they need to know there is a context they can become a part of," he said.

Luis A. Ubinas, president of the Ford Foundation, also drew attention to the importance of the game developer role, saying that games would "help shape the future" when it comes to perceiving LGBT values. "For (players) to enter fantasy worlds where they can be free to hold hands with a person of their choosing regardless of gender, or make a home with a partner of their choosing... that means they can move from the passive world of television, where they can see other people doing these things, to the active world of gaming, magnifying the impact that we know media can have.

"With relentless pressure, change is possible," Ubinas noted. "Attitudes can evolve, and a nation and society can be transformed."

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/07/ea-lgbt-full-spectrum-event/]
Image: EA [http://www.ea.com/news/ea-hosts-lgbt-full-spectrum-event]

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
But...but...we hate EA! They are the epitome of all that is evil! Surely the fact that they have dodgy business practices makes it impossible for them to support a good cause in any way, shape or form? It must be some kind of trick.

Craft, crafty EA.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Why is it whenever EA screws up a press release like this happens soon afterwards.

One would think they were trying to divert attention...

Well, for whatever the reason, at least EA is trying.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
"Look at me, I'm EA, and I'm in a serious need of some positive PR. Please like me again, pretty please??"

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I would say 'in before the EA hate regardless', but I guess I'm too late.

Good for them though. Shitty business practices, but they've done a lot more for the LGBT community than Valve has for example, whether you think they're only doing it for PR reasons or not.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Why is the first thought in my head that South Park episode where Jimbo tries to get the KKK to be for the flag change?

Nah, that's too harsh.

Good on ya EA... for once.

Person321

Jan 8, 2013
If they were in the business of fighting for human rights, I would applaud them. However, they are in the business of making REALLY bad distribution software and forcing it down our throats.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Ralphfromdk said:
"Look at me, I'm EA, and I'm in a serious need of some positive PR. Please like me again, pretty please??"
Desert Punk said:
Sounds like EA is scrambling for as much good PR as they can after the Sim City launch
/Thread.

OT: What they are doing is good, don't get me wrong, but the reasoning behind it is clear.
Still, progress is progress, even if it's done by horrible people.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The right thing done for the wrong reasons still results in the right thing being done, so yeah.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Ralphfromdk said:
Oh god THIS is what i heard in my head the entire team i read this article.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:

Good for them though. Shitty business practices, but they've done a lot more for the LGBT community than Valve has for example, whether you think they're only doing it for PR reasons or not.
In before anyone uses straw man misdirect! DAMN!!!

Since when has Valve had to champion the rights of any group other than Gamers? Which it has done. More than any other company. But hey, you go right on ahead thinking Valve is a bad company because they don't PORMOTE THE GHEYS!

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
There'll be a lot of water cycles through the ecosystem before anything EA dose feels in any way sincire, and not just a marketing stunt meant to improve their reputation.

We should probably credit Bioware for this anyway, I doubt the idea was born anywhere else.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
The Plunk said:
Bradeck said:
Mr Cwtchy said:

In before anyone uses straw man misdirect! DAMN!!!

Since when has Valve had to champion the rights of any group other than Gamers? Which it has done. More than any other company. But hey, you go right on ahead thinking Valve is a bad company because they don't PORMOTE THE GHEYS!
This Valve fanboy-ism is ridiculous. At what point did Cwtchy say that Valve is a bad company? You're seeing things.
@The Plunk: Thank you for being a voice of reason

Wow, our community really loves to be at war with itself

Yes, Valve did not sign the petition
Yes, it'd be nice if they had
Yes, EA does some good work for the LGBT community at large, and particularly in the gaming industry
Yes, they do seem to bring this up immediately following some bad press & it's likely more publicity stunt than genuine activism
And yes, it doesn't really matter why they're doing it, because it's a good thing to be doing

Can we settle down now? Please?