EA Considering "Different Models" for The Old Republic

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA Considering "Different Models" for The Old Republic

EA's CEO calls pushing a subscription model in a largely free-to-play market "challenging."

Talking to CNBC at Fortune's Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, CEO John Riccitiello confirmed that EA is looking into "different models [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.378811-BioWare-Considers-Free-to-Play-For-The-Old-Republic] to bring more users into [The Old Republic]," but he stopped short of substantiating rumors that the game may be going entirely free-to-play.

"Our conclusion was we had a great product in Star Wars, but that the subscription model in the world of free-to-play was challenging," he said.

The Old Republic has already partially embraced the free-to-play model. The game recently started offering extended free trials which let aspiring Sith lords play up to level 15, a move many critics have been quick to label a grim portent of the game's impending implosion.

News that the The Old Republic has been shedding subscribers by the thousands, developer, BioWare, has been laying off staff and numerous key figures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118534-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Loses-Executive-Producer-UPDATED] have walked away from the studio have done little to allay rumors that the game may have to go free-to-play.

Riccitiello also claimed that investors are relying too heavily on monthly NPD reports to gauge EA's performance. He pointed out that NPD's reports only track retail sales in the US and don't take into account EA's blossoming digital business.

Source: CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/id/48212955]

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Well thats the last time I deem anything a WoW killer. I give up. WoW will burn itself out and the mmo market will never attain the peaks wow did. Swtor is also likely the last mmo im buying. Guild wars 2 doesn't have a chance

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I love the way they describe it as a free to play market when the market leader is pay to play (ok yes it has free accounts, but they are more of a demo than the actual game from what I've read of them.)

EA, time to admit that you threw an awful lot of money at a game - and it didn't work. Worse, you threw an awful lot of money at a BIOWARE game and it blew up in your face.

That takes skill.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
They'll come up with some BS on how their F2P system is better than current F2P systems. Just like SimCity Social is not Cityville.

Agiel7

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not banking on it going free to play as soon as you guys think. Rift came out two years ago and that's still a pay to play game. Even more server mergers and pay-to-win stores on top of the monthly fee sure for SWTOR sure, but don't hold your breath for f2p any time soon.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
ccdohl said:
It's a decent enough game in the same vein of gear treadmill/raid as WoW. It doesn't do it nearly as well, but it'd be worth playing as a f2p.

The world pvp can be fun, too bad they segmented the factions away from each other so that you hardly ever run across the other faction.
cept when they do an you get ganked for minding your own business (never let a friend talk you into an open world PvP if you hate PvP)

i liked the moddable gear, let me keep a style i like for a LONG time

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
EA has a habbit of taking good things and really screwing them up. Take Ultima for instance, anyone a fan of Spoony (though after the recent drama some might not be) has shown EA's influence practically killed the series once it attached itself to it. It screwed up Ultima 8 into something incomprehensible, and butchered 9 to hell and back by first drawing away people to the MMO, then giving the team a deadline far too quickly then they should have.

EA now only makes a few worth while games, while still making billions of dollars because they have the money to market. On top of that, the whole Origin thing only goes to prove they care nothing for the customers and more about their pockets and their shareholders.

Valve has a track record that has been fairly consistant. Good games across the board. And their distribution service is far supirior then Origins is and Origins had 9 years of Steam to study off of to get something right.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
You know what I don't get why does every MMO charge £8.99 or 15$ a month?

Why does no one charge less? That might actually work you know, charging less than the leading competitor, but no apprently in the world of MMOs it's £8.99 or free to play. There is no middle ground!

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I'd probably play it if it went F2P by the end of the year. Haven't played an MMO in a while and looking for something to play in my spare time coming off a huge LoL binge.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Hey EA, here's a new model for you: Why don't you make a single player sequel to KoTOR 2 that has quality and care behind it? Maybe make it for the fans of the series and not try to "mass market" it for maximum profits...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dendio said:
Well thats the last time I deem anything a WoW killer. I give up. WoW will burn itself out and the mmo market will never attain the peaks wow did. Swtor is also likely the last mmo im buying. Guild wars 2 doesn't have a chance
I think Gulid Wars 2 will sell pretty well. It sounds like it is shaping up to be a pretty good and fun game.

If The Old Republic does go free to play I don't want it to be pay to win. Most likely that isn't going to happen and it will be pay to win. If Bioware could somehow remove the MMO aspects and redesign it as a single player game that would be cool too.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Dendio said:
Huh? How is Guild Wars 2 even competing with WoW? Buy it, play it, never have to pay again. GW2 will do pretty well. It isn't the games that are flawed (well maybe some games are flawed) mostly it is the subscription model that is flawed. Make a good F2P game and an equitable micro transaction system and you WILL make money.

EDIT: The Penny Arcade guys are looking pretty prescient right now.