EA Exec: On-Disc DLC Complaints Are "Nonsense"

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Sure EA can do on-disc dlc all they want.

I reserve my right not not even consider buying said game until a goty/complete edition of said game is being sold. I have large enough game backlog and some games don't mind relaying, so I can very easily wait as long as I need.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Today's top story: Peter Moore, executive for EA, blows shit from his ass in a manner that mimics articulated words.

In other news, the Sun came up this morning.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Ahhh EA, every time I start to get angry at another publisher, you step out and remind me why you are still right up there with the worst of the worst. Now don't you have time to spend ruining the Battlefront name and selling us back stripped out features as DLC?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Ahh I just love it when you give me more excuses to not buy your games... I know! Nonsense right?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Agree completely with the headline.

I've never fully understood why people are upset with on disc DLC. Many of us here know enough about game development to understand that the process of creating DLC starts WELL BEFORE THE GAME IS RELEASED. Putting DLC on disk rather than forcing people to download it is a courtesy.

You weren't going to get that planned DLC for free regardless because that was never part of the plans set in motion. Working on DLC concurrently with the game doesn't mean the game itself is going to suffer either. These are both planned projects operating independently of one another. Meaning the devs aren't cutting out 10 hours of an RPG to launch their games with on disk DLC. You'd have gotten the same base product regardless of whether the DLC come out on disk, Day 1, or 15 months after launch.

If a company does screw the player base with it's base game content was something planned as well. The delivery method and timing of it'd DLC doesn't matter. For example: Evolve wouldn't have been a meatier experience had the DLC come out 6 months after launch. They deliberately intended to release the game bare bones. A decision that ultimately burned them along with all the DLC available making things come across as even worse.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
*sigh*

The bigger game studios really need to hire somebody to tackle anyone that tries to make a public statement about the issues in the game industry. Anything to stop the higher-ups from sticking their feet in their mouths and making customers dislike them even more.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
The only people who get use out of DLC in single player games are the people who buy your game late (and cheap).

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
Ignoring the crappy tone, isn't he sort of half right?

Full DLCs on-disc is pretty shitty no doubt, but as I understand it, DLC development starts as soon as the game goes in for bug checks and certification, right? Wouldn't it make sense to put as much resources on disc as possible before shipping, so you can avoid forcing the user to download it in full with the DLC while avoiding the upload fees charged by the distributor? Please, absolutely correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it seems like just stopping all development until the disc launches or holding code just so it isn't on the disc (but is still already developed) seems like an even worse option.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
lacktheknack said:
God DAMMIT, EA. You're EVIL, remember? Therefore, you have to keep quiet and stop trying to explain and give potential reasons for your decisions and just let people who would run a business into the ground in a day run over your face. It's part of the contract! Right here in section 8, paragraph 10, line 23: "Be a punching bag for the eternally screaming and furious public who have earwax instead of ear canals." :mad:

(In short: Yes, I do believe that the on-disk stuff is more API than not.)
Oh, look, the corporate apologist is here. Surprise, surprise.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
direkiller said:
kennyloo69 said:
Is he actually telling the truth? I haven't followed much when it comes to on-disc DLC but all of the replies here are simply ignoring his statement that there is actually no content but just a framework that allows DLC to be added. Can anyone here either prove/disprove this?
It's true of most DLC
but it's something that people did not have a problem with to begin with.
He is arguing a non-issue, to all but the fringe crazy.
Most doesn't equal all. You admit it does happen, but wonder why people have a problem with it? Seriously?

I love how people speaking the truth are the "fringe crazy" to you corporate apologists.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Damian Porter said:
direkiller said:
kennyloo69 said:
Is he actually telling the truth? I haven't followed much when it comes to on-disc DLC but all of the replies here are simply ignoring his statement that there is actually no content but just a framework that allows DLC to be added. Can anyone here either prove/disprove this?
It's true of most DLC
but it's something that people did not have a problem with to begin with.
He is arguing a non-issue, to all but the fringe crazy.
Most doesn't equal all. You admit it does happen, but wonder why people have a problem with it? Seriously?

I love how people speaking the truth are the "fringe crazy" to you corporate apologists.
I think you have it confused

Empty folders and code to call on them is not a problem. Hell with a little bit of computer knowledge you can look at them, most are unfinished junk dropped during game development for one reason or another. Some are there so you can add DLC later and not have the processor hate you.

Locked out content like Mortal Kombat and Marval vs capcom or full on disk day one DLC is what people are rightfully mad over.

the EA e-exec is trying to use the former to counter the latter. Which is why I said he was arguing a non-issue.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Chester Rabbit said:
I'm sorry but WHAT!? Okay EA, you are now back on my shit list! Congrats!
It hasn't left my shit list in over 9...? Years now? Don't be fooled by silence and a few 'we've seen the error of our ways'. They're a right bunch of corporate fucks, and the worst in this industry. Any creative minds were crushed and snorted by them long ago.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Charli said:
Chester Rabbit said:
I'm sorry but WHAT!? Okay EA, you are now back on my shit list! Congrats!
It hasn't left my shit list in over 9...? Years now? Don't be fooled by silence and a few 'we've seen the error of our ways'. They're a right bunch of corporate fucks, and the worst in this industry. Any creative minds were crushed and snorted by them long ago.
They released Dead Space and Mirrors Edge in the same year, that gave me some hope for them. Then their actions made that opinion of them nosedive faster than a peregrine falcon with it's eyes on a juicy rabbit...

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
He dodges the actual question if you read the full interview. He was asked about gamer resistance to season passes and what is essentially required DLC. I don't care if you make fewer games than you used to, I still don't want to have to buy one game twice.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Oh ho! Looks like someone taught Mr. Moore some new buzzwords!

"API"
Redefining "content" and "free".
Still calling non-downloaded content DLC.

Ooph. 'Lot'a hoops he's jumping through to sell his bullshit. Saddest part is, he's using a tiny bit of truth to do it, and people are going to buy it.

Also, if I may:
"Nonsense. You come and stand where I am, on Visceral Studio's throat, and you see the life we're sucking out of the company." - Peter Moore
There. Fixed that for ya.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
It's okay. All on-disc DLC is technically yours from a legal standpoint. So if they actually put the content there, and not just the place holder, and you can find a way to access it, feel free to enjoy it. I'm looking at you Street Fighter :)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well as I said in another thread already I fully support their practices.
Because it is extremely hard for a non-hustler to figure out who a hustler is, and these guys are openly putting that market on a silver platter for all to see. Things will get much worse if we force the industry to hide it's dirty laundry, no no we need them to display it proud so we can quickly recognize who to avoid.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Does it matter if it's on disk or not?

If you want to figure out if the DLC was made prior to the game's release, just look at the DLCs release date.

Is it small cosmetics released on day 1? -> It has been made by probably idle artists mostly. Before release.
Is it light-weight content on day 1? -> It has been made by probably mostly idle team members, artists or not. Before release.

You have to try to estimate the amount of effort and the kind of DLC. Sometimes, or most often in non-AAA games, it's all 'legit'.

If there are modes missing, modes that are present in the predecessors, and these modes are released within a month, you were screwed.
If story dlc is released with a considerable amount of content within a month, you were screwed.
etc.

Of course, they could have been struck by lightning and have worked after the gold phase on these things and push the DLC out with a speed that would embarass every other studio, but this is something I really doubt.

In short: Don't trust EA. Trust, as far as I can tell, CD Projekt Red with The Witcher 3. Moore said some true things, but his whole company seems to be excluded from his speech. And this is not the fault of the developer. This is the publisher.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Season passes are a way to "keep people engaged"? How about when their coverage runs out, and more DLC's released after the pass expires? Is that keeping me engaged? Pretty sure I've not bought a Forza game since Turn10/MS pulled that bullshit, so I feel fairly dis-engaged thanks to such tactics.

My view of DLC's also coloured by how shite a lot of it is, which has nothing to do with whether there was code - or content - on the disc or not; it comes down to companies flogging more content to keep money being generating before interest dies.

Wasn't EA's 'support' for the Sim City franchise rather anti-consumer, btw? Don't they have a record for BS approaches to 'supporting' IP? Methinks his whining is unjustified compared to the legit complaints of players being exploited and coerced.
I think it works a bit different, especially for multiplayer.
The lack of levels/maps gets players bored fast enough to buy the expansion, the player level progression keeps them engaged long enough not to buy a competitors game.
Single player games tent to have a more plant DLC release. so often the dlc's are spaced out through out the season pass.

Also more often than not the season pass advertises quite well what will be included.

On Peter Moore's comments.
Not saying they make great games (most is shovel ware at best)
But i do get what he is saying.
basically, If they know that they will release DLC shortly after launch and they know it's building structure, they place "dummy" files for that DLC on the disk.
so when the DCL is released it's easy to install.
The DLC it self may not even been build yet when the game what pressed on to disk.
Same goes for 0 day DLC, there is quite some time in between completion of the core game and people putting the disk in their console/pc.

Personaly i have more of a problem with cutting material mid game and releasing it as DLC (AC 3, looking at you here).