EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
They're making a bid deal out of an 8 core cpu? I've had that in my pc for the last 2 and a half years haha.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
KiKiweaky said:
They're making a bid deal out of an 8 core cpu? I've had that in my pc for the last 2 and a half years haha.
No, they're making a big deal of the architecture. Which is better than current pc's and has traditionally been why consoles are better optimized than pcs. It's a benefit of having a standard set of components in one box rather than being an amalgamation of potentially very different components like we have in our pcs.

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Those stats aren't bad, but saying that's comparable to a high end gaming pc? Where can I buy your crack Rajat? Or rather, how much bullshit can one spill in one interview. How the hell is a integrated system on chip architecture going to make the xbone faster than a high end pc. It will make it faster but not when you are doing what the console is built for and playing games. Oh I see the flaw in my logic there. XBone isn't for playing games, is it? So guys, you can now load save data faster than ever! I know that I'm over exaggerating for effect but it's not going to compare to some of IBMs new processors that can use if statements! Try and compare your system on chip to that.

Also, isn't that already implemented on apple computers?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Next console generation is "a generation ahead" on a technical hardware level, but more than ten eras behind stuck somewhere in between the agricultural and market eras.

One inch forward, ten miles back.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Mircosoft: "Oh dear. I dropped a few grand into your wallet. Silly Me!"

They need to get out of this mentality that all PC Gamers have some gray desktop from 1999.
Even with an old gray desktop from '99 there are a slue of great games to play. The real thing that PC gaming has over console gaming is the mod. How many people experienced the Robo-lution of Borderlands on the PS3?

accipitre

Apr 24, 2012
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Let me know when Microsoft/Sony figure out how to pack $2000 worth of hardware into a $400-$600 console.
I don't think you realize what $2K of hardware actually means in the PC world. That's someone's dream rig right there.

The PS4 and Xbone hardware? That's a $600-800 rig as of two years ago. Today, those specs are what you'd find in a $500 rig, tops. Oh, heh, look at the Xbone's price tag... funny thing, that.

Seriously, the PS4 and Xbone are about two years behind. The only significant thing is that the PS4 uses DDR5 instead of DDR3, but it's not like it'll be able to take advantage of that extra memory bandwidth. And considering that these 8gb are shared between GPU and system, it's rather laughable. The DDR5 standard was set for GPUs, and DDR4 will have more throughput, and will be out in a few years, whereupon the Master Race drops some dosh on an upgrade (or doesn't, because bandwidth has little effect on performance) and consoles get to wait another 5 years.

Dec 16, 2009
accipitre said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Let me know when Microsoft/Sony figure out how to pack $2000 worth of hardware into a $400-$600 console.
I don't think you realize what $2K of hardware actually means in the PC world. That's someone's dream rig right there.

The PS4 and Xbone hardware? That's a $600-800 rig as of two years ago. Today, those specs are what you'd find in a $500 rig, tops. Oh, heh, look at the Xbone's price tag... funny thing, that.

Seriously, the PS4 and Xbone are about two years behind. The only significant thing is that the PS4 uses DDR5 instead of DDR3, but it's not like it'll be able to take advantage of that extra memory bandwidth. And considering that these 8gb are shared between GPU and system, it's rather laughable. The DDR5 standard was set for GPUs, and DDR4 will have more throughput, and will be out in a few years, whereupon the Master Race drops some dosh on an upgrade (or doesn't, because bandwidth has little effect on performance) and consoles get to wait another 5 years.
well i meant that more as; $2000 to compete with top of the range PC's
I've no idea what the full specs are for the PS4/Xbone. although it doesnt matter, say mass production startded this month for a November release, the console's tech will already be 6 months old on release + how ever far behind they are already behind the "Top of the Range PC's" this guy is trying to compare them to

accipitre

Apr 24, 2012
Mr Ink 5000 said:
accipitre said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:

I've no idea what the full specs are for the PS4/Xbone. although it doesnt matter, say mass production startded this month for a November release, the console's tech will already be 6 months old on release + how ever far behind they are already behind the "Top of the Range PC's" this guy is trying to compare them to
A top-of-the-line PC is incomprehensibly powerful to people not familiar with high-end hardware and how it works. The PS4 and Xbone have the same stats as you might expect to find in a mid-range PC from about two years ago, or a mid/low-range PC today. The manufacturing lag will make it even worse.

Dec 16, 2009
accipitre said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
accipitre said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:

A top-of-the-line PC is incomprehensibly powerful to people not familiar with high-end hardware and how it works. The PS4 and Xbone have the same stats as you might expect to find in a mid-range PC from about two years ago, or a mid/low-range PC today. The manufacturing lag will make it even worse.
exactly, this EA exc prop thinks the PCs his staff develop games on are the best it gets.

Nothing wrong in not being familiar with these things, but you'd think he'd do a bit of research before making a statement like tha.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Well. That's ignorant of him, considering, you know, Moore's Law. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most of those patches and updates to the PS3 and 360 didn't include hardware upgrades, so their static hardware ends up doomed to fall behind any system which can take advantage of upgrading components and said law for speed, power, and storage gains.

Really, it all comes across as a desperate attempt to drum up next-gen business for their dross by virtue of hype, and we've all seen what happens with hype. And EA hype, particularly.

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
Dexter111 said:
hooglese said:
Those stats aren't bad, but saying that's comparable to a high end gaming pc? Where can I buy your crack Rajat? Or rather, how much bullshit can one spill in one interview. How the hell is a integrated system on chip architecture going to make the xbone faster than a high end pc. It will make it faster but not when you are doing what the console is built for and playing games. Oh I see the flaw in my logic there. XBone isn't for playing games, is it? So guys, you can now load save data faster than ever! I know that I'm over exaggerating for effect but it's not going to compare to some of IBMs new processors that can use if statements! Try and compare your system on chip to that.

Also, isn't that already implemented on apple computers?
Rajat is generally a funny joker:

"Traditionally, gaming has been limited to consoles."
He should do stand up!

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
How cute! It seems my last generation PC stats are better than what he is claiming to be next gen. I bought it last year for about ?700. *insert racist joke about PC's from India here*

I'll still probably get a PS4, even if it can't hold a candle to current PC technology.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Look at this video and tell me the pc blows the PS4 out of the water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfCWYjOsvI&feature=youtube_gdata_player