EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer Rajat Taneja says the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will outgun even the most powerful PCs on the market today.

Rajat Taneja is the CTO at publishing giant Electronic Arts, so it stands to reason that he has some idea what he's talking about when he talks about the new game consoles coming from Sony and Microsoft. I, on the other hand, do not, and yet I am somewhat skeptical of an article he wrote for LinkedIn yesterday entitled "The Technology Behind Xbox One."

For the most part it's a fairly straightforward "this is gonna be awesome" manifesto, talking about creating living, dynamic worlds and catalyzing the imagination and taking games to a whole new level, but it gets a little more interesting when he comments on the "raw horsepower" of the coming systems.

"Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles," he wrote. "These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics."

That's a bold statement and Taneja offers no details to back it up, but I have to wonder how either the Xbone or the PS4 would stack up against a PC built around, say, a 4.5 Ghz quad-core CPU and three Nvidia Titans - since we are, after all, talking about the "highest-end PCs" available. Or is he referring to mass-market machines, the sort of off-the-rack (but still relatively "high-end") Dell rig your mom might buy to send emails and play hidden object games? That's a different scenario entirely, and one in which this comparison fits far more easily - but that's also a demographic that's far less likely to be interested in what Rajat Taneja thinks about the coming generation of consoles.

At some point, both Sony and Microsoft will release detailed specs about the hardware in, and performance of, their new gaming consoles - and until it does, claims like this, even coming from a guy who'd appear to be in a position to know, are just going to look silly.

Source: LinkedIn [http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130522214715-10904058-the-technology-behind-xbox-one]

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Honestly, that's troll bait if ever I saw it.

Or, as it is known in PR-speak: free publicity.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Mircosoft: "Oh dear. I dropped a few grand into your wallet. Silly Me!"

They need to get out of this mentality that all PC Gamers have some gray desktop from 1999.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
"Excuse me Mr. Taneja, both of our presentations didn't really go over as well as we would have liked. Would you mind saying a couple nice things about our consoles that might appeal to the hardcore demographic for us? Oh don't worry we'll pay you for your comments." -Microsoft or Sony Exec

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Looks like Microsoft just paid for his Memorial weekend vacation.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Mircosoft and Sony: "Oh dear. I dropped a few grand into your wallet. Silly Me!"

They need to get out of this mentality that all PC Gamers have some gray desktop from 1999.
There, fixed that for you ;)

OT: While it's true that these consoles are going to be far more powerful than most people expect... they're probably not going to pass the highest PC's on the market right now.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Firstly, that's an extraordinary claim, and one I don't believe. Secondly, if it is true, then the PS4 and XBone are going to be insano-expensive!

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Stop comparing yourself with PC, because that is a comparison you always will lose. Focus more on the stuff that makes a console more practical, like pricing and the fact that you can always play a game released for that console and have to gamble if your hardware is good enough. But no, you insist on making statements everyone knows are not true and only start stupid d*ck comparisons that always end in monkey warfare.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Oh realy? Well now I am sold on the new consoles. I mean they are apperantly use cuting-edge future technology which has not been used in PCs, if they are 5 years ahead of them. I will expect them to cost atleast between 5k$ to 10k$.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Way to rattle the monkey cage. -_-

If you'll excuse me, I'll be in my bunker and wait until the ensuing blast is over.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im not a pc gamer, 360 all the way, but even i dont agree with that statement. PC's will always be more next gen. An even if the xbone/ps4 were better......give it a 6 to 12 months and the pc will be back on top again. lol

Do you think xbone fanboys will name themselves "x-boners" ? lol

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
It seems we have another exec who does not have the technical knowledge to make an accurate statement, or else he is simply lying and expects most of the readers to not know enough to call him on his BS. In either case the evidence we have so far suggests that he's talking out of his backside.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Andy Chalk said:
That's a bold statement and Taneja offers no details to back it up, but I have to wonder how either the Xbone or the PS4 would stack up against a PC built around, say, a 4.5 Ghz quad-core CPU and three Nvidia Titans - since we are, after all, talking about the "highest-end PCs" available. Or is he referring to mass-market machines, the sort of off-the-rack (but still relatively "high-end") Dell rig your mom might buy to send emails and play hidden object games? That's a different scenario entirely, and one in which this comparison fits far more easily - but that's also a demographic that's far less likely to be interested in what Rajat Taneja thinks about the coming generation of consoles.
Don't be silly, since Sim City it's clear as day what he means, "EA Sports games require the power of the cloud to run", but the power of the cloud is still not strong enough for yearly roster updates.

At some point, both Sony and Microsoft will release detailed specs about the hardware in, and performance of, their new gaming consoles - and until it does, claims like this, even coming from a guy who'd appear to be in a position to know, are just going to look silly.
Anandtech had an interesting article on that: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4
My pc has better stats. Just sayin EA. Also want to ask a question when will you get your head out of your ass EA?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Reyalsfeihc said:
There, fixed that for you ;)

OT: While it's true that these consoles are going to be far more powerful than most people expect... they're probably not going to pass the highest PC's on the market right now.
Sorry, I was on the X-Bone Hate Train ^_^"

Even though I don't have a Gaming PC, I can imagine that someone spending a crap ton of money on constantly upgrading his rig would be ahead of a new console released every generation.
SonOfVoorhees said:
Do you think xbone fanboys will name themselves "x-boners" ? lol
That made me smile! :)

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Allow me to play the role of snarky doppelganger.

"The new era of PCs are amazing. With the stuff we're unleashing, PC users will be able to digitally tea-bag every console user ever, at just a click of a button. Also, our machines will still be relevant in 3 years."

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Strange that he says they are a generation ahead when its rumored that games will still be at 30FPS. Can't be that much ahead if they can't break the FPS of 2006. Of course I understand this is John Carmack thats why I said rumor.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121161-John-Carmack-Insists-New-Consoles-Will-Run-Games-at-30fps