EA Explains Why Dragon Age: Inquisition Isn't Dragon Age III

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Dragon Age 2 was a quick cash in due to the popularity of DA:O, EA figured bioware fams would buy anything.

Now, if they had most of the original staff who worked on DA:O, DA3 might be a good game. Although, without Brent knowles, it's going to be iffy.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
TWEWYFan said:
Seriously, what on Earth are you thinking EA? Dragon Age II had nothing but a few tangential link to Origins yet you still called it Dragon Age II. Now this game is (supposedly) dealing with a conflict that was established in the last game and is going to feature prominent characters present in both games. Unless this trailer is a lie, how is this not a sequel!?
The truth of the matter is, calling it Dragon Age III would be to closely linking it with Dragon age II. They hope that by naming it Dragon Age: Inquisition they can possibly tie it to Origins some how or at leave avoid the direct association with DA2 it would have if they called it DA3.

Jun 20, 2013
Yes EA, let us worry about the name and numbers that go on the effing box and not the things that really dug into my sides about the second title. More copy-paste dungeons and increasingly watered-down rpg elements ... yay ...

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
o_O

It's... a name...

chiefohara said:
I wonder how many meetings and discussions and focus groups and market research it took to make this decision :/
Annoyingly and depressingly, they probably did take a good while to come with this decision. On the other hand, if they gave this much thought to the rest of the game...

Malisteen said:
I don't care what EA calls it, so long as they actually give the development team the time they need to make a finished game, instead of forcing them to cut so many corners that there's hardly any game left at all in order to rush it out. There's been more time between 2 and 3 than there was between 1 and 2. Hopefully EA has learned the lesson that not every genre of game can be churned out on the same release schedule as yearly sports games & Multiplayer FPS updates.
Indeed and that is my hope. Dragon Age 2 had one year of development. That was ridiculous, and the overused textures in all locations and the unnecessary hundreds of waves of always-the-same enemies (of which not a single one was any different from enemies on the previous game, except for the new Qunari and darkspawn models, the Final Boss and DLC enemies) for blatant padding was proof of that.

I hope, cautiously, but I hope they learned.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Call me crazy (no, seriously, do it, I like it) but this tendency to avoid numbers in the title feels like stores who permanently keep up the "Grand Opening" banner, an attempt to pass something as fresh and new and shiny, even when it is part of a longstanding franchise, so newcomers are suckered into thinking that there's no backstory to pay attention to.

Or worse, reboot after reboot meant to erase past installments from memory so people keep buying the new one, even if it is of lower quality, or, worse, a re-thread of previous formulas.

Regarding marketing techniques that become increasingly obnoxious: Watch on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1gv9EXqRHA]

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Between this change and the comment on DA:I and ME4 sharing the same engine, I am really starting to think that Bioware has jumped the shark and gone full retard.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I remember people getting upset DA2 wasn't subtitled, now people are going to get upset the next game isn't numbered, and will follow the patten of every other title in the setting.

Do some people just want to be angry, or a, I reading too much into this? Likely a bit of both.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I know this is a really, really petty complaint, and I'm still going to get DA:I, but am I the only one who thought the noses on all the characters (other than Morrigan) looked terrible? Seriously, they were big and chunky... it was weird. I don't know why, but it seems to be some kind of tradition that with every new Bioware game, the character noses look worse. Mass Effect 3 was especially notable for not having a single nose that didn't have something wrong with it in the character creation menu (particularly for poor Sheploo). Actually, default Shep's nose didn't look too bad, but it was mysteriously absent from the custom face menu. Ok, I'll stop talking about noses now...

OT- I think it would have helped (minutely) DA2's case if they had given it a subtitled name (just of the top of my head, Dragon Age: Champion) instead of just a number (without even a subtitle). The flat number just served to highlight what a rushed sequel it was, and while I still think it was a really good game, I can't argue that it wouldn't have benefited significantly from more development time (something they seem to be keenly aware of with Inquisition). Basically, these were two different (mostly unrelated) stories told in the world of Thedas, which is great, but you need to make it clear that's what you're going for, which they seem to have realized. I'm cool with them dropping the number. At least they didn't name it Dragon Age: One, that would have just been dumb.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
There are only two possible scenarios in which I would even care about DA:I. 1) Morrigan is not in it AT ALL 2) I can kill her off in like the first 5 minutes, or so. I might be fine, if 3) Flemeth has taken her over finally.

DA:I? More like DA:Fanservice. "The players liked the sideboob? OK, let's make our most incoherent character into a plot driving element." *sigh*

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I actually like that they are doing this. While it was all definitely connected, I felt like Origins and 2 were their own separate stories of a much larger world. The only thing I'm even remotely miffed about now is that DA2 is just...DA2 with no subtitle. It didn't bother me, but after having this have no III in it, just kinda makes 2 stand out even more. Its nothing to get riled up about, but it just makes me wish it was different.

On the other hand, it does sort of seem like they are trying to distance themselves from 2 (which I found to be more enjoyable that Origins, but its still a pretty sub par Bioware game). Well whatever the reason, its just a name.

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
If they want my respect back, they should call it Dragon Age 2 and deny the last one ever existed.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
I got a bad feeling about this. Dropping the 'III' means that they are trying to cut links to DA:O and DAII, which enables them to handwave away having to deal with importing save game decisions from the previous games. I expect a lot of our choices in the two previous games are going to be ignored with the excuse that 'that's for the REAL DAIII'.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Tien Shen said:
I got a bad feeling about this. Dropping the 'III' means that they are trying to cut links to DA:O and DAII, which enables them to handwave away having to deal with importing save game decisions from the previous games. I expect a lot of our choices in the two previous games are going to be ignored with the excuse that 'that's for the REAL DAIII'.
This would make sense if they didn't already talk about save importing.

OT: I have no issue with this. It distances it from II and it establishes itself as it's own thing. My main issue with two is it's rushed nature, they don't seem to be doing that this time, with it slated to come out after just under 4 years of development.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Aggieknight said:
Between this change and the comment on DA:I and ME4 sharing the same engine, I am really starting to think that Bioware has jumped the shark and gone full retard.
All of EA's more hardcore titles are using the Frostbyte 3 engine made by DICE. They announced this months ago.

It's a good, versatile engine and they own it, why is this surprising?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Trishbot said:
I just want to know if I can do what I did in Dragon Age: Origins and made a psychotic, sex-obsessed, hyper-violent Dwarf girl.

Seriously, that's how I played the game. I was a noble Dwarf princess who followed two rules the entire game: if it CAN die, I will kill it, and if I CAN sleep with it, I will. Or if I can't, try anyway.
You can only play as a Human like in DA2, this was announced on the Bioware forums ages ago. Deal with it.