EA Has "No Games in Development" For Wii U

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Gorrath said:
I wouldn't say this is 'evil' on EA's part, just disingenuous. That's the real problem. If EA just manned up and said, 'Some of what we had planned for the Wii U is not going to work out like we had hoped.' I wouldn't be so miffed. Accusing people of 'blind EA hate' does not hold up here as people have every reason to find the diea that porting a handful of games over does not fulfill their earlier proclamation.

EA, if ya made a promise, and now ya can't keep it, just man up and explain why. Don't treat us like we're drooling morons.
I don't think it's disingenuous, just business sense. Nintendo knew they needed buy-in from the big boys in order to sell hardware. So, they cosy up to EA and, I'm sure, offer all sorts of sweetners in the royalty and fees department, and JR makes a big fuss about doing amazing stuff on Wii-U. I have no doubt that Nintendo were trying to hammer out similar deals and announcements from Activision and Ubisoft, but either way, being in bed with EA, like them or not, would let the public know that all of their favorite franchises would be coming to a Wii-U very soon, so go and buy one as soon as it comes out.

Fast forward to now... EA is losing money every quarter, JR got the boot, and the Wii-U has shifted about 5 units, with the 'real' console transition about to hit. If I were running EA, I know where I'd be investing my cash and resources, and it doesn't start with the letter 'W'. ;-)

I couldn't agree with you more about wishing corporations would be more honest about their reasoning (especially when it's so freakin' obvious why they're doing what they're doing), but this is corporate America... Wall Street would never let that happen!

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
In the same vein, the Wii was just a re-release of the game cube with motion controls
Tell me about it! I'm not sure how many people actually know that the inside of the Wii is pretty much exactly the same, chip for chip, as the Gamecube. The only difference is the CPU and GPU are overclocked in the Wii - they didn't even fix all of the horrible hardware lock-up bugs that the GPU has, and because it's running faster you hit these problems far more often. So we had to program round these often unknown and undocumented hardware crashes... Grrrrr!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
DiamanteGeeza said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
In the same vein, the Wii was just a re-release of the game cube with motion controls
Tell me about it! I'm not sure how many people actually know that the inside of the Wii is pretty much exactly the same, chip for chip, as the Gamecube. The only difference is the CPU and GPU are overclocked in the Wii - they didn't even fix all of the horrible hardware lock-up bugs that the GPU has, and because it's running faster you hit these problems far more often. So we had to program round these often unknown and undocumented hardware crashes... Grrrrr!
Seriously...? SERIOUSLY?! This makes me annoyed. People always gloat about how "Oh at least Nintendo has enough sense to make their consoles backwards compatible". That must have been extremely easy for Nintendo to do considering THEY SOLD US THE SAME SHIT A SECOND TIME! People complain that Sony and Microsoft only focus on graphics with their consoles but at least they're selling us something we couldn't do on the previous consoles.

/rage over

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gorrath said:
I wouldn't say this is 'evil' on EA's part, just disingenuous. That's the real problem. If EA just manned up and said, 'Some of what we had planned for the Wii U is not going to work out like we had hoped.' I wouldn't be so miffed. Accusing people of 'blind EA hate' does not hold up here as people have every reason to find the diea that porting a handful of games over does not fulfill their earlier proclamation.

EA, if ya made a promise, and now ya can't keep it, just man up and explain why. Don't treat us like we're drooling morons.
I don't think it's disingenuous, just business sense. Nintendo knew they needed buy-in from the big boys in order to sell hardware. So, they cosy up to EA and, I'm sure, offer all sorts of sweetners in the royalty and fees department, and JR makes a big fuss about doing amazing stuff on Wii-U. I have no doubt that Nintendo were trying to hammer out similar deals and announcements from Activision and Ubisoft, but either way, being in bed with EA, like them or not, would let the public know that all of their favorite franchises would be coming to a Wii-U very soon, so go and buy one as soon as it comes out.

Fast forward to now... EA is losing money every quarter, JR got the boot, and the Wii-U has shifted about 5 units, with the 'real' console transition about to hit. If I were running EA, I know where I'd be investing my cash and resources, and it doesn't start with the letter 'W'. ;-)

I couldn't agree with you more about wishing corporations would be more honest about their reasoning (especially when it's so freakin' obvious why they're doing what they're doing), but this is corporate America... Wall Street would never let that happen!
Oh I agree that it is business that drove the decision. All of the circumstantial evidence suggests that the picture you illustrated is probably close to true if not spot on. When I say they are being disingenuous, I mean with regards to claiming that what they've done on the Wii U thus far constitutes them keeping their promise about an unprecedented relationship with Nintendo. If you can't keep your promise because it would be terrible business sense to do it, just come out and say it, don't try to pretend like a handful of ports is a fulfillment of your promise. If they don't want to talk about the business aspect because they are afraid it would harm their partner, Nintendo, then just say something innocuous. What EA shouldn't do is what it did, come out and claim it has fulfilled a promise it plainly can't or won't. It comes off as insulting to the consumer when you say crap like that. If I were EA, I would have jumped ship on the Wii U as well, at least until the house of N can get it's shit together.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I keep getting this image whenever I read this article of Nintendo being stuck in a hole, and EA are trolling them with a rope ladder.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
VinLAURiA said:
Do a little research and you'll find I'm honestly not exaggerating.
Research into their past does not preclude you exaggerating things. They're two different levels. You just exaggerated a guess and portrayed it as "truth." Therefore...Yeah. You honestly are exaggerating.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ed130 said:
StewShearer said:
As for the "unprecedented partnership" EA promised in 2011? According to Brown the publisher's early run of games for the console, which included Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Madden and FIFA, was the company keeping that promise.
Yes that sounds about right.

Everyone knows EA always keeps it promises.
To be fair Nintendo also made the promise of how it was going to work hard to make better relationships with the thirds party. I can't be mad at EA for this, when MANY of those who "promised" to work with Nintendo are now saying, screw that.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Gorrath said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gorrath said:

Oh I agree that it is business that drove the decision. All of the circumstantial evidence suggests that the picture you illustrated is probably close to true if not spot on. When I say they are being disingenuous, I mean with regards to claiming that what they've done on the Wii U thus far constitutes them keeping their promise about an unprecedented relationship with Nintendo. If you can't keep your promise because it would be terrible business sense to do it, just come out and say it, don't try to pretend like a handful of ports is a fulfillment of your promise. If they don't want to talk about the business aspect because they are afraid it would harm their partner, Nintendo, then just say something innocuous. What EA shouldn't do is what it did, come out and claim it has fulfilled a promise it plainly can't or won't. It comes off as insulting to the consumer when you say crap like that. If I were EA, I would have jumped ship on the Wii U as well, at least until the house of N can get it's shit together.
Ah! My apologies... I misunderstood.

In that case, I totally agree with you! :)