EA Has "No Games in Development" For Wii U

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Oh damn. EA won't make any games for the Wii U. That is just so sad. Can't you tell by my voice how sad I am?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Porting old games is unprecedented for EA. And you know things are bad when EA want to jump ship.
^Best response, and probably the most telling assessment with the state of the WiiU to date.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
greyfox115 said:
Im ashamed to say I owned a Wii U in hopes that a new Zelda game and Metroid would be in the works but all I got was a repaved HD zelda game that may or may not be out this year.

Traded the thing in got £300 steam credit its what I should have spent the money on the first place.

Its scary to see the first step in the next gen console crash and burn so fast with most developers wanting to push for PC releases.

Shoot me for saying this but I really thing the consoles are dying out sooner then I though.
If it keeps going the way it has then that's quite likely, but the stupid thing is that games should be on both equally, consoles are good for the back room or as portable PC's (however laptops are now even better). Idk I guess consoles are becoming quite redundant.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I recognize that the Wii-U is more comparable to the current generation that the "next generation" that people are still awaiting. But I'd love to hear a more technical explanation of why exactly the Wii-U seems to be giving the people responsible for the Frostbite engine such disgust. Such descriptions tend to be dumbed-down and oversimplified, but reports suggested the Wii-U was actually at least a bit more powerful than the 360; why, then, having scaled back their efforts for so long to fit inside the current-gen box, is the Wii-U such a hurdle?

Or is this just a case of "not going to be the market's shiniest new toy, so not going to bother trying?"

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Callate said:
Or is this just a case of "not going to be the market's shiniest new toy, so not going to bother trying?"
More like "Not going to be the market's shiniest new toy, and they won't let us put Origin on it, so not going to bother trying"

At least that's what I've been hearing.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Kind of surprised to be honest. They'll probably still be doing ports of say...CoD and Madden.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Good because Nintendo could do without EA going around fucking everything up as it is.

Honestly I can't see this spelling any kind og doom for the Wii U and even with the new PS4 and 720 I can still see the Wii U being around and not much will change except for games and that's about it, no PC master race prophecy coming true today chaps.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Cutting through the idiocy of all the smarmy Yahtzites gloating about big bad Nintendo getting some sort of "justice," perhaps I could shed some light on the situation as to EA's motives.

The original "unprecedented partnership" was largely a proposal by EA to run Nintendo Network - Wii U's counterpart to Xbox Live - on the Origin framework and hosting the service on their own servers. It would've given Nintendo an already-existing service to build from, but this would have given EA a lot of control over the system's online as they're the ones who would effectively been providing it. Granted, Origin would've brought many EA titles over to the system (and EA would've been eager to do so as they'd essentially have an "Origin Box"), but it also would've meant that EA could've done stuff like strong-arming Nintendo into making EA-leaning decisions by forcing certain prices if they didn't, or even giving companies like Activision bad support and online toolkits for the console in order to bolster their own products (so Call of Duty U might have been forced to be a laggy piece of crap while Battlefield U would've run flawlessly, being an in-house EA game.) Essentially, this would've turned the Wii U into EA's console as far as the online was concerned, as they would be pulling all the strings. They would've practically held the console ransom and made Nintendo their *****.

Ultimately, Nintendo decided the proposed deal was more trouble than it was worth as the power they would be giving EA largely outweighed the benefits of using EA's infrastructure. So they put their foot down and cut the deal off, deciding to just make their own online service from scratch. Ever since then, EA's been throwing a hissy-fit and cancelling all the Wii U ports they can and severely crippling the ones they had already promised. This is why - for example - the PS3 and 360 got the Mass Effect Trilogy collection while at the same time Wii U got a mere port of Mass Effect 3 that didn't even include any DLC (original ending and all.) Or why though a Battlefield was announced for Wii U, none ended up coming and Battlefield 4 is skipping the system entirely when PS3 and 360 are still getting ports. The Wii U isn't any less capable than those systems, mind you, it's actually quite a bit more powerful and as far as stuff like DLC is concerned, it's just as up to snuff as their offerings.

It's just that in EA's case - yes, they are indeed deliberately trying to sabotage the system because Nintendo wouldn't let them own it.

It's not in my nature to be dramatic or exaggerate details. I'm saying it because for once it's absolutely true: EA has actually stooped so low as to try to get revenge on Nintendo. Honestly, though: should we expect any better from the #1 Worst Company in America?

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Ed130 said:
StewShearer said:
As for the "unprecedented partnership" EA promised in 2011? According to Brown the publisher's early run of games for the console, which included Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Madden and FIFA, was the company keeping that promise.
Yes that sounds about right.

Everyone knows EA always keeps it promises.
For some reason that reminded me of the phrase "A Lannister always pays his debts." OT, the WiiU has never really looked that appealing to me. It's a shame that it's doing badly and I love nintendo with all my heart, but I shant be buying it anytime soon.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I like everyone saying how good this is, and how bad EA games would be for the Wii U, but really Ea is a lot of game developers, and looking at the Wii U's library right now, and the way other developers look at the Wii U, you guys are going to be shit out of luck for games

Really think about it, who is going to want to take the chance and spend the money to try and push their games on a gimmicky game console that is still a generation behind on hardware.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Yeah, this is really fishy to me. EA loves them some casual cash-cow games and lord knows that there would be a large casual market for the Wii U.

Makes me wonder if something happened to this "deal" between the two of them that made EA do a complete turn around. Maybe Nintendo wanted a larger share of profits or something.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
It's not in my nature to be dramatic or exaggerate details. I'm saying it because for once it's absolutely true: EA has actually stooped so low as to try to get revenge on Nintendo. Honestly, though: should we expect any better from the #1 Worst Company in America?
Don't take this as defense of EA, but if this is indeed how things went down then Nintendo is just as much at fault as EA is. Nintendo would be the ones that agreed to a stupid deal and, while backing out may have been a prudent choice, they reneged on that deal.

If I borrow from a loan shark, don't pay, and get my legs broken, sure the loan shark and his enforcer broke the law by assaulting me, but I was still to blame for getting involved with them in the first place.

EA is perhaps being petty about it, but its business and they are in a position to do so. If the Wii-U were doing really well, then EA would prolly bite the bullet and develop for the system, but since its not, they have the luxury of making it worse for Nintendo, saving development costs, and not taking a big hit on their sales in the process.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
This makes the Wii U look more attractive, eh? Anyone? Imagine, a system with no EA presence at all...

Seriously though... poor WiiU sounds more and more like a certain console from Sega, except it's not as legendary... not even close.

Vinterdraken

Apr 4, 2009
Pretty sure that what happened here is that EA decided to partner with nintento, ported a bunch of stuff, sent developer kits to all its developers and then got back the message from them that none of what EA is doing will work. Im pretty convinced EA initially intended to make alot more for the WiiU, but its just not up to specs.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This isn't entirely EA's fault: Nintendo were the ones who chose to deny Origin exclusivity. Not that EA is angry about that, it's just an unhappy coincidence.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Mass Effect trilogy won't be on the U and, I'm going to miss out on new Star Wars games if I don't grab a PS4 but that's the only downside I can see at the moment. Hopefully Nintendo will either find a way to make the U more appealing to other 3rd parties or maybe Nintendo will just crank out their own games on overdrive.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, to be fair, did the Wii have particularly many EA games?

Plus the sorts of games EA put out, I think people would prefer to play on a more powerful console, so barely anyone was going to buy them even if they were there.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
A part of me is pissed off at EA... which isn't exactly out of the ordinary.

But a part also sort of wishes that Nintendo would either team up with Microsoft on their next console or, if that's not possible, become a third-party developer. (They'll still have their own hardware on the handheld side.)