EA Issues Teaser For Imminent Battlefield 4 Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EA Issues Teaser For Imminent Battlefield 4 Trailer

Like some kind of audio/visual ouroboros, EA released a video this morning that serves as a teaser for the upcoming debut trailer for the imminent Battlefield 4.

Videogames are big business. The industry pulls in well over $50 billion each year, and that number is only rising. It should come as no surprise then that trailers for videogames are also big business. They serve to promote upcoming releases and are often the first look at a new title most prospective buyers will see. That said, we now live in a world where trailers get their own trailers. Let that sink in for a moment before you continue.

This morning EA's official Twitter account for its wildly successful Battlefield series spat out the following 'net-speak soaked missive: "Straight from the video editing suite: Prepare 4 Battle - 03.27! This sneak peek now, more soon. (Please RT!) #BF4" Immediately following those words was a link to a short Vine clip [http://vine.co/v/bpeapQiWB3l], which is exactly as informative as you'd expect from a video that clocks in at less than five seconds long. We see a hint of a logo, a hastily scrawled date (March 27), and something that looks like a brushed aluminum ... actually, we have no idea what that might be. Point being: As a trailer, this video is intensely uninformative, but as a teaser for a trailer, it does seem like just enough to get fans of the apparently upcoming Battlefield 4 talking and anxiously awaiting the forthcoming, presumably more informative, trailer.

We expect that March 27 will mark the debut of that trailer, though beyond that we know almost nothing. There's no hint of what platforms Battlefield 4 might call home (though we have to assume that it will appear on Windows PCs, at the very least), nor anything to suggest what might differentiate Battlefield 4 from its predecessors. Even if we were to make an educated guess, the best we could do at this point is assume that the game will primarily focus on large-scale multiplayer combat. It may be set in the modern era, or it may not be. Battlefield 1942 took place during World War II, while Battlefield 2142 used a futuristic setting, so who knows?

We should have more concrete information to share on March 27, but in the mean time, feel free to fill the comments section below with your wildest speculation. If EA and developer DICE won't tell us what the game is going to be about we have no choice but to make things up and keep our fingers crossed that the coolest (or most hilariously stupid) ideas somehow make their way into the game. Personally, I'm hoping the series will leap back to the Dark Ages, yet inexplicably feature cybernetic bears and purely melee focused combat, occasionally punctuated with brief, horrific moments lifted from the worst children's birthday parties ever conceived by the twisted minds of serial killers.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/313655494411710465]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
OH NO! Our pile of money from the last Battlefield is getting dangerously low! Let's make another one!

Yes I'm cynical, I've never played a Battle Field or Call of Duty outside of a free weekend on Steam, and I don't plan on investing in the series any time soon.

Cyrromatic

Mar 9, 2012
Dear lord, TOO SOON. Battlefield 2 came out in 2005 (announced 2004), Battlefield 3 came out in 2011. That's six years with a complete engine overhaul. Either they've become dangerously efficient at splurting out shooters, but most likely it's because:

dragongit said:
OH NO! Our pile of money from the last Battlefield is getting dangerously low! Let's make another one!

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
As I dont want to start EA bashing, (because thats been done plenty by now) by the looks of the tank tread that started to roll, the footage appeared to be in black and white. looks like we could be seeing a return to WW2.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
There isn't even enough there to be considered pand-zering
That was....just......wonderful. I appreciate punniness where I can find it, but you sir, you deserve a medal.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Hey guys I just got battlefield 3 for free from getting Simcity!

(Sees news)

Oh F**k you!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cyrromatic said:
TOO SOON. Battlefield 2 came out in 2005 (announced 2004), Battlefield 3 came out in 2011.
Small point, but BF3 is something like the tirteenth game released with the BF name across the front (Just between 2 and 3 came Special Forces, 2142, Bad Company, Heroes, 1943, BC2 and Play 4 Free).

The two years between BF3 and 4 is one of the longer gaps in the series.

BUT.

I'm still predicting this to be EA's big push into COD annual update land, with neither a setting overhaul nor much in the way of multi player changes. Direct sequel to 3, following Black and chums, oh wait the chums all died, following Black in I can't believe it's not Modern Warfare 2.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
kajinking said:
Hey guys I just got battlefield 3 for free from getting Simcity!

(Sees news)

Oh F**k you!
It's been known for awhile that EA plans to churn out BF4 within a few years. Their trying to copy CoD with yearly games and will hopefully fail badly (I don't like CoD doing it either.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Teasing a teaser for a game we already know about just seems kind of weird to me...it just seems like wasted news in my opinion.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was hoping for Bad Company 3, so this teaser isn't all that exciting to me. However, I recall hearing about the Battlefield 4 beta a while back, so I guess I knew then than the next one wouldn't be Bad Company.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Personally, I'm hoping the series will leap back to the Dark Ages, yet inexplicably feature cybernetic bears and purely melee focused combat, occasionally punctuated with brief, horrific moments lifted from the worst children's birthday parties ever conceived by the twisted minds of serial killers.
I would order 10 copies.

I said order because pre-order doesn't make any sense. You can't order something before you order it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Kalezian said:
Colbster94 said:
As I dont want to start EA bashing, (because thats been done plenty by now) by the looks of the tank tread that started to roll, the footage appeared to be in black and white. looks like we could be seeing a return to WW2.
that is a tank tread.

there is no rubber pads on the tread from what I can see, these are more modern improvements for passengers since tracked vehicles vibrate like fuck.

.... we might be going back to Germany or Vietnam.

I am a jpeg collect and I need this one.

Has multiple uses you see.

In other news, I came ITT for EA News >.<

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Pre-order now and get access to the beta for Battlefield 5!

Seriously though I hope this doesn't become an annual thing.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I believe there is an error in the very headline.

There's a chance it should correctly read thusly:

EA Teases Issues In Imminent Battlefield 4 Trailer

After all, it's EA. There will be blood issues.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kalezian said:
Colbster94 said:
that is a tank tread.

there is no rubber pads on the tread from what I can see, these are more modern improvements for passengers since tracked vehicles vibrate like fuck.

.... we might be going back to Germany or Vietnam.

Official EA image release BTW.

So no...more modern it is. I heard a nasty rumour that they would be trying to do a single-player campaign and co-op missions again so they still want to waste money on stuff no-one wants from their games because CoD does it.

Here's hoping it will be next gen exclusive because those machines should be able to handle 64 players, and maybe we'll even see 128 or 256 players on PC See link for possibilities. [http://news.softpedia.com/news/Battlefield-3-Multiplayer-Supports-Up-to-256-Players-189097.shtml]

I'll wait but I'll probably buy it (I pre-ordered BF3). BF3 is a lot of fun and is the game I most want to play to unwind at the end of a work day. If they make hit detection server side, add squad and team chat as default, and keep improving the quality of their maps as they have been with BF3 I'll be quite happy with the game.

Really they should't emulate CoD and the Tick Tock shooter cycle but if they do they should make one game only multi-player (BF) and one game only single player (Bad Company?) we would get higher quality games at least.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
KeyboardSnorlax said:
Soooo the CEO resigns and EA starts doing Square-Enix impressions. That's.. something I suppose
If they were doing Square-Enix impressions, they'd be releasing good, playable games.