EA: New Medal of Honor Won't Be "Propaganda Piece"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
" where we ran all the way to Berlin to put a foot up Der Führer's ass"

Actually the US/allies let the Russians get Berlin, so they didn't make an effort to "run" there.
Also, they didn't join the war till it was almost 3 years going...

Just saying...

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
To be honest, I dpn't believe that for a second. I can't wait for the final boss where you impale Putin, Mao and on an American flag.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sweet. I was like of god-damn "GO AMERICA!" in games. An I'm an American, and a Republican.
oh your one of the XD lol i joke im not even american and im glad too see a game that doesnt have US marines beating there chests screaming "Hoo Raah" constantly.

arent republicans,bigot, war monger,bible bashers (thats what i hear from people) i'd like too hear from one if thats true...no offence XD

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I hope to god that the special edition case has a beard on it. I would totally be all over that.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Furburt said:
Because, and I'm not demonizing Americans here, Americas history is fairly pockmarked with wars. War is not a nice thing, and the majority of reasonable people are against glorifying it.

The problem being, is that games made for Americans tend to emphasise Americas victory in WW2 without focusing on any of the more negative aspects of Americas military history, such as Vietnam or the Phillipines war, or Panama, and such. It just seems somewhat revisionist. I commend games like Brothers In Arms and Vietcong for showing a more balanced outlook on the war.

I'm not saying that every war game should be a downer, just that it's important to remember that you're dealing with real history here, and the mark of a good historian is to be impartial.

I don't think it's particularly patriotic to glorify war anyway, but that's just my opinion, disregard it if you will.

It wouldn't matter so much, but considering this game is taking the very risky tack of dealing with a war that's currently ongoing (which is very rare in film or games), it really cannot afford to be anything other than totally balanced. Not liberal or conservative, but as fact based as it can be.

And please, no sentimental brass music playing whenever you take a hill. That just puts me off.
As a composer, I LOL'd at the brass music line.

Again I think it comes down to a matter of storytelling... if you can tell a compelling story, it really doesn't matter who it glorifies/demonizes. Make fun of America, glorify it, satirize it, just make it interesting... please.

Stories where people in war are portrayed as heroes can be just as interesting as when they're portrayed as villains. Just put some time and effort in your writing; if you're going to be historical, be historical, if you're going to be fictional, be fictional.

IT'S A FREAKIN' VIDEO GAME.

For X's sake, when did we start taking ourselves so dog gamned seriously?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
John Funk said:
Medal of Honor: Awesomest Beard Ever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96524-Meet-the-Real-Medal-of-Honor-Reboot-Bearded-Soldier]
I think gentleman like say...

[small]This guy.[/small]

...might disagree on the whole "awesomest beard ever" thing. I mean come on, he's shaped part of it into a little bicycle! How cool is that?
No, he's going to be in the game as your CO.

Lazarus Long said:
Something that plays with the fact that no one is a villain in their own eyes.
Like that US Army online game where the other team always appeared as beardy terrorists?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I remember when I first played CoD 4 and I started off playing as a British S.A.S. soldier. I was like "Wait, England? But we're never the main characters!"
The very first CoD on consoles was like that. It went from a Russian soldier's missions, to a British soldier's, then to an American's.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Furburt said:
Actually, I think the reason that the typical war game is in WW2 and has the Americans doing heroic stuff against De German Schweine isn't to do with sales or the developers own political views, just a question of laziness. It's a lot easier to copy paste a generic WW2 story than it is to explore the subject with any sort of complexity. As someone who loves story in videogames, it annoys me. The reason why WW2 is chosen is because it's basically all laid out for you. American won the war, they looked cool doing it, the Nazis are assholes, M1 Garands go 'ping' when they're out of ammo. It requires no imagination. I'm not saying that the standard jingoistic war game plot always means that it's going to be badly written, but rather that if it has a standard war game plot, odds are the story isn't really that developed. Not always the case, but a reasonable assumption.
Nor was I saying that all current war games are great stories. I hate most of them to be honest...

I was merely pointing out that any compelling story told compellingly could potentially be compelling, even if it DOES involve yay super strong "Amurrikins'" takin' down the evul nazzy's (see: Inglorious Basterds).

I just think we shouldn't pre-judge stories based on setting or time period. Even if you can make arguments for something being a "propganda" piece, that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining if done well (again, see: Inglorious Basterds).

On that note, watch Inglorious Basterds.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Furburt said:
SavingPrincess said:
On that note, watch Inglorious Basterds.
I have. What an amazing film that was.

Tarantino's back, it would seem.
So imagine a WWII shooter based on that style of storytelling? You could argue that Wolfenstein did that to an extent, but that series has gone so far up its own posterior it's threatening to create a hole in the fabric of space/time.

Dec 14, 2009
Low Key said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I remember when I first played CoD 4 and I started off playing as a British S.A.S. soldier. I was like "Wait, England? But we're never the main characters!"
The very first CoD on consoles was like that. It went from a Russian soldier's missions, to a British soldier's, then to an American's.
Ah, I see. I haven't played any CoD games before 4. Still, it's nice to see other countries getting represented in war games for a change.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
" where we ran all the way to Berlin to put a foot up Der Führer's ass"

Actually the US/allies let the Russians get Berlin, so they didn't make an effort to "run" there.
Also, they didn't join the war till it was almost 3 years going...

Just saying...
...I think you missed the sarcasm.

Del-Toro said:
What would be wrong with that? Everything seems to get torn into if it's not a liberal propaganda piece (you fucking know I'm right, don't bullshit me), so what's so unacceptable about something a tad more patriotic?
Of course. I mean, it's not like Six Days in Fallujah, a game based off the accounts of modern-day soldiers involved in the Iraq war, was torn to shreds by people claiming it was anti-American and thus wound up being canceled by the publisher. And because people totally didn't lambast Avatar as being liberal propaganda and anti-American. And because Hurt Locker didn't get any criticism for its line about the addictive potential of war.

I'm not saying that you're entirely wrong, but you should at least recognize that it goes both ways. Liberals blast anything that's considered too conservative, and conservatives blast anything that seems too liberal. To make the claim that it's one-sided is naive at best.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Furburt said:
Actually, I think the reason that the typical war game is in WW2 and has the Americans doing heroic stuff against De German Schweine isn't to do with sales or the developers own political views, just a question of laziness. It's a lot easier to copy paste a generic WW2 story than it is to explore the subject with any sort of complexity. As someone who loves story in videogames, it annoys me. The reason why WW2 is chosen is because it's basically all laid out for you. American won the war, they looked cool doing it, the Nazis are assholes, M1 Garands go 'ping' when they're out of ammo. It requires no imagination. I'm not saying that the standard jingoistic war game plot always means that it's going to be badly written, but rather that if it has a standard war game plot, odds are the story isn't really that developed. Not always the case, but a reasonable assumption.
I think lazyness may be a reason, but certainly not the only nor most significant reason why there have been so many America-centric WW2 games.

1)It's a war with clear "good guys" (Americans) versus "bad guys" (Nazis) were the good guys clearly win. It's not like Korea which was not exactly a victory for America and the UN, nor was it like Vietnam where it was sometimes a bit unclear who the good guys really were.

2)It is a world war, with varying enviroments and foes. This makes level design more interesting as you can make levels in the African desert, snowy Norway, French farms, tropical jungles, beach landings and and Belgian forests. If you were to make a WW1 shooter, your choices are generally restricted to WW1 trenches, against the Germans. In WW2, you have the Germans, the Japanese, the Italians or even the Vincy French to fight against. Not only do you have a wide choice of enviroments to choose from, but you have quite a few different enemys to fight against.

3)There is a good variety of weapons. In terms of weapons technology, WW2 was on the point between early industrial warfare (where we fight with bolt action rifles and prop-planes) and modern industrial warfare (where we fight with automatic rifles, missiles and jet engine planes) This means that you can combine the two eras together. You can have bolt action rifles, semi-automatic rifles and sub-machine guns, and then throw in the worlds first assult rifle as a unique weapon. Nowadays on the battlefield all the infantry fight with assult rifles, but due to ww2's postion in technological history, you can get a taste of both old industrial warfare and modern industrial warfare. This is especially true in combat flight sims, in Secret Weapons over Normandy you can fly bi-planes, prop-planes and eventually jet aircraft. So not only can get a wide choice of enviroments and enemies, but also a wide selction of weapons and other toys to play with.

4)Finally, America is the worlds most powerful economy. It's own domestic economy can confortably support highly American-centric games like the MOH series or Fallout 3. But on the other hand, non-American games developers, living in a country with lesser economic and cultural power, has to take a more international perspective and make a game that both non-Americans and Americans will be able to relate too. I will be very surprised if i ever came across a British made shooter or a combat flight sim about the Falklands War. However, for the sake of argument lets say the Falklands war involved America, if that was the case then i think we can surely say that there would be a number of American made games out there focused on the Falklands war. The Americans can make games about themselves, the only other nation that can do that is Japan. Other Western nations, like Australia and Canada, or even the economically united Europe can not compete with this, we can not make games specific to ourselves. Here's another exhample affirming Americans cultural dominance, Assasins Creed 2 is a Canadian made game with an American protaganist...why? Why wouldn't the Canadians make a game with a Canadian protaganist? It seems you need an increadibly powerful economy to have the freedom to make games about your own country or culture. America has that ability to make highly America-centric patrotic games, which is why we have seen games like MOH, telling the American story of WW2.

cobaltfram

Sep 3, 2009
A Medal of Honor game trying to mimic The Hurt Locker? With a cover like that? Oh God, I can't stop laughing.

Feb 18, 2009
I might just buy this game, but only if everyone has sweet beards in a variety of styles, and I get to play as that guy on the cover. Jus' sayin'.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I don't care what the game's about, the guy on the cover has an awesome frikkin' beard!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not interested in what it will not be, I'm interested in what it will be.

How will this instalment of the MoH series will distance itself from it's nearest and most obvious competitor, MW2. Gameplay-wise, graphically, anything. I was already pretty sure it wouldn't be an "America, fuck yeah!" type of game, seeing as people are generally done with that nowadays.

Also, I already like the sub-title. Bearded Justice, I mean who doesn't want to play as a Lumberjack Commando?

OOH-RAH!!

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
Nickolai77 said:
4)Finally, America is the worlds most powerful economy. It's own domestic economy can confortably support highly American-centric games like the MOH series or Fallout 3. But on the other hand, non-American games developers, living in a country with lesser economic and cultural power, has to take a more international perspective and make a game that both non-Americans and Americans will be able to relate too. I will be very surprised if i ever came across a British made shooter or a combat flight sim about the Falklands War. However, for the sake of argument lets say the Falklands war involved America, if that was the case then i think we can surely say that there would be a number of American made games out there focused on the Falklands war. The Americans can make games about themselves, the only other nation that can do that is Japan. Other Western nations, like Australia and Canada, or even the economically united Europe can not compete with this, we can not make games specific to ourselves. Here's another exhample affirming Americans cultural dominance, Assasins Creed 2 is a Canadian made game with an American protaganist...why? Why wouldn't the Canadians make a game with a Canadian protaganist? It seems you need an increadibly powerful economy to have the freedom to make games about your own country or culture. America has that ability to make highly America-centric patrotic games, which is why we have seen games like MOH, telling the American story of WW2.
You make some very good points. But I wonder, is there such a thing as a japanise world war two game?

I dread to think what that could possibly be like.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Grubnar said:
You make some very good points. But I wonder, is there such a thing as a japanise world war two game?

I dread to think what that could possibly be like.
See: Grave of the Fireflies

But seriously... Nickolai hit the nail on the head. It's about target audience. There's no telling if other games aren't already made like what you're talking about, but it would never be marketed out of the country of origin and therefore developing them would be economically questionable. It would literally have to be the best game ever made to get passed subject matter that depicts your grandparents as the "Evil Bad Guy". US Dev's don't have to worry about it because we can sustain our own game sales (see: MW2, GTA, et. al.) and break records all on our own.

I'd totally play it though just out of curiosity.