EA: Nintendo's 3DS is "Magical"

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
personaly i love 3d movies but hate stationary 3d things so maybe it could suck maybe it could be jesus incarnate, maybe that will change game to game.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
EA... weren't these the people who jumped head first on the Wii bandwagon, thinking it was the way forward, then a year or two later started complaining they got a bit too over-excited over it and their sales weren't doing very well?

Well, you know what they say, history repeats itself...

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It figures that EA should have people in charge with no understanding of technology whatsoever.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Does the word "Hype" sound the warning bell?.
what do you expect?

EA already has around 50 games on the DS platform so there is bound to be a hidden agenda(...in thier pockets) in this little "review"

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Now its the time! From now on, magic will rule over science!
Wait, this is revolt aready, right?

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
Furburt said:
However, never underestimate EA's capacity for hyperbole ... good news about this, even from people I totally trust, so I'm optimistic.
This part!

OT:
Read Furburt's post. that's my train of thought.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Goddamn, I love Nintendo. Very excited for the 3DS. Doesn't the technology technically make it holographic, meaning that Nintendo is one of the first to propel us forward into the future?

That is awesome, if true.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I'm getting it because nintendo handhelds are always awesome. That and it has a built in swappable memory. I could care less what gimmicky thing is going on with it as long as they make awesome games like the Prof. Layton series for this run of the DS.

Quaade

Jun 20, 2010
Xersues said:
I really see me not using the 3D aspect of this at all. Something also tells me that 3D slider can only go down so far and you're still stuck using some kind of 3D.
Every person who has held it and used it say that you can turn the real 3D effect off entirely so you can play your 3D games without ever seeing the third dimension for real.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Quaade said:
Xersues said:
I really see me not using the 3D aspect of this at all. Something also tells me that 3D slider can only go down so far and you're still stuck using some kind of 3D.
Every person who has held it and used it say that you can turn the real 3D effect off entirely so you can play your 3D games without ever seeing the third dimension for real.
If it actually can be turned off, then the game devs can't use the 3D as a game mechanic. Like how some Wii games require Wii motion plus while others don't support it at all.

If Nintendo isn't careful with what it requires game developers to work with they'll find not all games are 3D or don't support it very well. I'm sure they'll require 3D, much like how Ps3 and 360 require an achievement/trophy system.

Between the 3D and the new anti-pirate measures, I really see this new system being more of a headache for consumers. Even with the amount of information we simply don't know, history would suggest how its going to pan out. Nintendo has always been known for being dumb simple fun. If they stray from that people won't buy into their games at the same rate.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
JaredXE said:
And by magic they mean IT'S NOT REAL.

Not real 3D I mean.
I'm so sick of people saying that this 3d is "not real." Wtf does that even mean. Clearly, it's real, because it appears 3d to you. Knowing that it's made up of 2 2d images makes you uninterested? Guess what! You're video games are made up of a bunch of dots of light!! Please explain what you mean by "not real." You need to have a physical object popping out of the screen?

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Xersues said:
Quaade said:
Xersues said:
If it actually can be turned off, then the game devs can't use the 3D as a game mechanic. Like how some Wii games require Wii motion plus while others don't support it at all.

If Nintendo isn't careful with what it requires game developers to work with they'll find not all games are 3D or don't support it very well. I'm sure they'll require 3D, much like how Ps3 and 360 require an achievement/trophy system.

Between the 3D and the new anti-pirate measures, I really see this new system being more of a headache for consumers. Even with the amount of information we simply don't know, history would suggest how its going to pan out. Nintendo has always been known for being dumb simple fun. If they stray from that people won't buy into their games at the same rate.
So many things wrong with your argument I don't know where to begin. You don't want 3d but you don't want to miss out on 3d game mechanics? Anti-piracy is a headache for "consumers"? Nintendo known for dumb simple fun? WTF? I'm pretty sure the dumbest, simplest fun I know of is every single shooting game out there.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Xersues said:
So many things wrong with your argument I don't know where to begin. You don't want 3d but you don't want to miss out on 3d game mechanics? Anti-piracy is a headache for "consumers"? Nintendo known for dumb simple fun? WTF? I'm pretty sure the dumbest, simplest fun I know of is every single shooting game out there.
I said nothing about wanting 3D, just if it can be turned off, you can't use it as a mechanic. Or you'd force the user. Let me help you understand, since you didn't think through very well.

1) Look at the sixaxis controller. It was used heavily as a gimmick in many games when the PS3 first came out, but wasn't required by Sony. It is now one of the least used features of the PS3 because it was an "opt in" feature for most games.

2) Anti piracy techniques tend to very much be a headache for consumers. Try SecuRom, or the new Ubisoft DRM. Ok those are PC, need console examples? Not all Saved game files on the PS3 can be transferred from one PS3 to another, even if signed in. Limited activations as well.

3) Nintendo has always been known for pick up and play. "Stupid simple" just means there is no fuss to just play a game that's fun. Mario, cooking mamma, Will Wright, are all just simple to play and enjoyable.

I realize I'm just being skeptical for something that hasn't come out yet, but the more articles I see praising this thing, the more I just wonder how its going to pan out. I'll just wait for the 3Ds light to come out. Since we all know that'll happen 8 months later.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Electrogecko said:
JaredXE said:
And by magic they mean IT'S NOT REAL.

Not real 3D I mean.
I'm so sick of people saying that this 3d is "not real." Wtf does that even mean. Clearly, it's real, because it appears 3d to you. Knowing that it's made up of 2 2d images makes you uninterested? Guess what! You're video games are made up of a bunch of dots of light!! Please explain what you mean by "not real." You need to have a physical object popping out of the screen?

Well yes, actually. No, not physical objects, but in order for it to be a real 3D image, there needs to be actual depth. A holographic projection that enables us to see an image from different viewpoints, WITH DIFFERENT ANGLES SHOWN, is a real 3D image. What is currently shown in theatres and in the new 3DS is a 2D optical illusion that does not provide actual depth or distance. You know how I know the difference? Because I deal with the 3-dimensional world around me. As does everybody in the world.

The illusions suck, give me holograms.