EA Owes Its Success To Its Failures

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
gigastar said:
Grey Carter said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Too bad the likes of Bullfrog and Westwood never had the chance to learn from their mistakes.
That mistake being "don't get bought out by EA?"
I like to think thats one mistake no one will ever make again.

Though if it wasnt by EA, chances are they would have ended up enslaved to another publisher anyway.
Better to die free than die as a slave.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
EA owes its success to its failure, blimey, that's going to be taken out of context a lot in the future.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sylveria said:
gigastar said:
Grey Carter said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Too bad the likes of Bullfrog and Westwood never had the chance to learn from their mistakes.

Though if it wasnt by EA, chances are they would have ended up enslaved to another publisher anyway.
Better to die free than die as a slave.
That said i cant imagine Activision, THQ or Ubisoft putting up with a RTS series for 13 years. Since EA has at least noted that Generals 2 isnt going to be a repeat of Tiberian Twilight, i retain a seed of hope, in chronic stasis, in the deepest and coldest reaches of my inner cynic.

Though they wont admit it yet, Tiberian Twilight was another turning point for them. Because it taught them that yearly releases will just not work for some genres of game.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
nikki191 said:
one of the saddest things ive seen recently was a photo of one of EA's old print adverts "we are a group of electronic artists" you could see they founded EA as a place to foster creativity and originality.. and now look at what they release and whats important to them
Very true I believe their initial mission statement was something like this

"We are an association of electronic artists who share a common goal. We want to fulfill the potential of personal computing."

I dont know what it is now probably something like

"We are an association of businessmen who share a common goal. We want low risk products that provide immediate money, screw potential we need guaranteed money"

theres probably definitely a company song that the execs sing about taking over companies bleeding them dry of creativity and stealing everything of worth until they cease to exist except as an EA company number while all the time the EA glob grows bigger each verse ends with an evil laugh and there is one verse for every studio they have taken over. I have no doubt Blizzard/Activision have one as well.

Im not sure exactly what they were saying but it sounds like we learn from our mistakes which everybody does and I mean everybody even animals do. Still I hope they make bigger mistakes and I mean real big irrecoverable financial mistakes and soon.

Anyway Im not to fond of EA overall tbh but they may make a good case study for seeing how money can corrupt any ideal.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Wait. Of they worked with 3DO, that means they have access to Battletanx

One can hope they remake it....

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Too bad the likes of Bullfrog and Westwood never had the chance to learn from their mistakes, eh, EA?
Such a sad part of gaming history, I'll probably never see another Dungeon Keeper game again.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Legion said:
Metalrocks said:
Drenaje1 said:
Metalrocks said:
and now bioware sold their soles to ?A.
I was unaware that Bioware's shoe soles were such a lucrative offer for EA.
well, bioware belongs to ?A for quite some time now but you get my point. ?A doesnt make games, they just profit from other companies, because ?A is too stupid to make games them selfs. all they know is how to make the same game over and over again.
He was taking the piss because you said 'soles' when you meant 'souls'.

A 'sole' is what you have inside your shoes.
ah s***. i should read my comments more carefully before i post it. sorry, my bad.

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
Grey Carter said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Or perhaps more precisely don't sell out to EA? Or in Westwoods case don't sell out to Virgin Interactive then get sold to EA.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
EA Owes it's successes to it's failures? No, it owes it's success to the series of studio's it bought up, exploited, broke up and then ran into the ground like Westwood. It owe's it's successes to the blood and toil of exploited developers it used up like toilet paper then flushed away, keeping their intellectual property and hard work.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ah the megadrive era, when I was genuinely protective of the plucky EA and their idealism....

EA what happened to you man? You used to be cool, before you became stupidly succesful.
As others note, it's curious how EA made these mistakes and survived to learn from them, yet don't offer the same courtesy to the developpers they buy up...

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Y'know what I get from this? "Hey guise, remember when we were a small company!? LOL we so humble!"

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Thoric485 said:
What about running Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Mythic and Pandemic into the ground?

I don't think they learned a lot from that, looking at how BioWare is heading the same way.
Except the fact that the employees can simply be shifted to other areas, a boon of being owned by a conglomerate that people don't really talk about. Some employees were absorbed by EA proper and are now working on a game called Mercs, Inc, which is what the studio was working on when it closed. Others were folded into EA Los Angeles and are developing another game under Visceral. EA doesn't necessarily kill all projects when they shut a studio down, and they certainly don't just dump employees into the streets. Although I'll never be happy until I get a new battlefront game.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The snarky question that comes to mind is, "So, what are the current generation of failures preparing them for?"

It's easy to hate on EA. They've made some very good games, even recently. But they've also made some very bad ones, their market strategy seems to be built on contempt for their clientele, and in many cases their absorption of smaller companies seems to mean a slow death of what made those companies (and their products) worth acquisition in the first place.

It seems likely that the real heir to the qualities so prized by the old EA is going to have to come out of the digital distribution and/or independent scene.

Hopefully they won't sell out to the current EA when they do.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I'm just sad they didn't just die completely from one of their failures =/ The game industry would have been a better place without EA

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
gigastar said:
Grey Carter said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:

Better to die by EA than to be enslaved by Activision and forced to produce mediocre and lifeless sequels to your once brilliant success...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
EA thinks they haven't failed since the early 90's? That's rich, and maybe a good sign of hubris.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
nikki191 said:
one of the saddest things ive seen recently was a photo of one of EA's old print adverts "we are a group of electronic artists" you could see they founded EA as a place to foster creativity and originality.. and now look at what they release and whats important to them
Another thing I find rather sad is that Activision was founded by former Atari programers who wanted to create a company where designers actually recieved credit for their work. Now look at how well they treat their employees...

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
So you're telling us that it's ok that you fucked up this Bioware, it's the next Bioware that'll have everything right.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Rich Hilleman said:
There are two real cases in EA where I think we made bad choices...
Don't flatter yourself, Rich.

Thoric485 said:
What about running Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Mythic and Pandemic into the ground?
Damn right.