EA Pixelates Pirated Copies of The Sims 4

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Cpt. Slow said:
Hey guys, I have an idea. Let's just not play the game (pirated or bought) at all. F**k EA up their DLC producing asses and f**k them hard.
You know you're allowed to say "fuck" on the Internet, right? You're not going to get raided by the FCC.
You never know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah because that's going to stop pirates, haha.
It's a joke that this is 'newsworthy' developers have done this sort of thing before, just in different ways (releasing incomplete-able versions that are practically demos)

Yarr Harr Diddly Dee

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
If I were a dev, I wouldn't even bother with protection, because it'd just get hacked anyway.

I'd only put one trigger after the 2hr mark of he game of a 30secs video of me giving them the middle finger. No dialog, no messages, no anything. Just a stern look and a middle finger.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
The Lunatic said:
It got fixed pretty much instantly.

It's only affected a very small number of pirates.

So, unfortunately, there's not some mass of illegal downloaders being thwarted by pixelation.

However, as with all things, there will always be issues with a pirated version over a legitimate copy, so, if you're looking to enjoy the game, buy it.

Though, if you're looking to get enjoyment from The Sims 4, good luck.
Really How about SimCity in what a hacked copy with modified ini could run offline without trouble. That is a case where a cracked version actually is good.

Or the time with Assassins Creed where you could run a cracked authentication server to keep it running.

Sadly it is a reality that many times pirates are better off then paying customers.

Taranis_tm

Jul 5, 2010
J Tyran said:
True, forgot that. When I had trouble with a game I bought from Origin the rep could see the transaction history, what makes me not sure about the ban though is the fact that they would effectively be seizing legitimately owned property. I think EA might have some rights to decide not to offer services to people that pirate their games but seizing property might be going a little far, maybe their could be a middle ground?

Ban them from multi player servers and from receiving updates/patches etc but still allow them to run the games they bought? That way they are just refusing service but they are not seizing legitimately and legally owned property.
You seem to be forgetting all the nice EULAs they had to accept, that basically state they do NOT own the games. They paid for the 'service' of being able to play them.
So even if the Origin's admin miss-clicks and wipes account of a guy, that got all his games the proper way, instead of the prate they were aiming at, he won't have any grounds for a lawsuit.

Foxador

Jun 19, 2014
Why is this topic posted on like every gaming news site as if it will actually do anything for the pirates? They had this issue fixed within a couple of hours and all it involves is renaming one single file. That's not going to stop anyone so I don't know why everyone, and by everyone I means the news, act as if this is going to be stopping pirates?

This all just looks like some kind of paid advertisement for the sims 4 since everyone is reporting it without even bothering to look into how it's been fixed before they even posted their article. As much flak as SimCity 2013 got it's DRM was not pirated very well until they added in the single player mode.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
IAmTheToaster said:
Slightly off-topic: I wish people wouldn't praise the GDT method. GDT, to my knowledge (and please do correct me if i'm wrong), took nearly all of its content from the IOS title Game Dev Story. That'd be fine, but the issue is I've never seen it give any credit to the original game. It's not that I have a problem with games taking heavy inspiration from others, it's that on launch it felt like a carbon copy with a few more sliders..
I've seen this dozens of times now, everyone keeps repeating that they haven't given the original any credit; apparently without even trying to look.

I submit the following evidence:
http://www.greenheartgames.com/about/

Game Dev Tycoon
Our first game to test the waters was Game Dev Tycoon, a business simulation game where you start your own game development company in the 80′s. Game Dev Tycoon was inspired by Game Dev Story (by Kairosoft), which was the first ?tycoon? game we enjoyed playing on the iPhone; however, from the start, we wished the game would work and look differently. We wanted a game development simulation which would be less random, more about your choices and a little more realistic. We began working on what would become Game Dev Tycoon in 2011 and created the concepts and game mechanics as well as the game itself from scratch.
Whatever criticisms can be leveled at GDT a lack of crediting the original is not one of them. They've made it very clear here that they effectively sought to make an improved version of it.

IAmTheToaster

Bread Warming Expert
Nov 8, 2013
Lightspeaker said:
IAmTheToaster said:
Slightly off-topic: I wish people wouldn't praise the GDT method. GDT, to my knowledge (and please do correct me if i'm wrong), took nearly all of its content from the IOS title Game Dev Story. That'd be fine, but the issue is I've never seen it give any credit to the original game. It's not that I have a problem with games taking heavy inspiration from others, it's that on launch it felt like a carbon copy with a few more sliders..
I've seen this dozens of times now, everyone keeps repeating that they haven't given the original any credit; apparently without even trying to look.

I submit the following evidence:
http://www.greenheartgames.com/about/

Game Dev Tycoon
Our first game to test the waters was Game Dev Tycoon, a business simulation game where you start your own game development company in the 80′s. Game Dev Tycoon was inspired by Game Dev Story (by Kairosoft), which was the first ?tycoon? game we enjoyed playing on the iPhone; however, from the start, we wished the game would work and look differently. We wanted a game development simulation which would be less random, more about your choices and a little more realistic. We began working on what would become Game Dev Tycoon in 2011 and created the concepts and game mechanics as well as the game itself from scratch.
Whatever criticisms can be leveled at GDT a lack of crediting the original is not one of them. They've made it very clear here that they effectively sought to make an improved version of it.
I'm so glad someone actually took me up on the "correct me if i'm wrong" point.

I'd looked at the about page before, but hadn't seen this. Thanks! (Less thanks for the "apparently without even trying to look" mild snideness.)

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
EA actually found a way to make Sims look better? Thanks EA!

geldonyetich said:
EA is perfectly aware the PC piracy situation is off the hook, and neither are they expecting this little pixel prank to be good for anything other than the lawls. This is why they foist so much DLC, it offsets the losses from piracy for them.
Nah, they force DLC down our throat because they want to make more money. Not because they are losing anything to piracy or some other excuse like that. Apparently making millions of dollars with that number increasing every year is apparently not "good enough".

Jim did a video on this 2 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20wroJ1hbew

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Amaror said:
I actually looked this up and the pirates allready found a workaround for this "DRM".
It's of course highly complicated and involves a significant amount of high-tech knowledge.
Apparently the pirates have to do a so-called "re-name" of the ".exe".

In all seriousness the above is actually true. I mean kudos to the devs for getting such an entertaining form of "DRM" into their game, but if it is really circumvented THAT easily it's a bit embarrassing as well.
I guess the idea wasn't to be a permanent solution, the idea was to expose the pirates in forums, costumer service and social media.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
IAmTheToaster said:
I'd looked at the about page before, but hadn't seen this. Thanks! (Less thanks for the "apparently without even trying to look" mild snideness.)
Apologies, and that wasn't specifically directed at you but in general. Its just that I've seen this comment about lack of credit many, many times before and the first time I ever saw it I went straight to their website and found it almost immediately.

In all fairness their about page is pretty awkwardly designed. :)

runequester

Aug 6, 2010
The solution might be to not pirate games.

That being said, I imagine this is as much a cute stunt to get some buzz going, as it is an actual anti-piracy measure. Don't you have to be connected to their online service to play, in any event?

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I like to refer to the Pixel version as the Censored version of the game, it just distorts every piece of unlikeable crap in the game.